Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wifli - Any downside?
Quote | Reply
Related to the 1x threads....

Going etap, and I see the etap wifli derailleurs are now becoming more available on their own (aero group I'm getting only seems to come with short cage..).

If I go 1x, I can probably get away with a short cage rear and an 11-28 or 11-32 in the back for all but one of my races (IMMT). For that race, I guess I could put the fd and small ring back on...

Am I better off doing that, sticking with the small cage and modifying the setup for one race per year, or just go wifli, and have a larger cassette (and longer spare chain to handle it) for the one race?? Is there any downside to having a wifli on there all the time (shift performance??)?

Also, SRAM's own documentation says that the short cage can handle up to 28, and wifli 32...... I'm guessing that is pretty conservative, as there have been many reports saying the short cage can handle 30 no problem, and sometimes 32.......so assuming wifli can handle more than 32..

Thx!
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Jan 15, 17 4:40
Quote Reply
Re: Wifli - Any downside? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm slightly concerned by the statement 'I could just put the FD and small ring back on..' Going 1x means getting a new specific crankset. 1x cranks have different tooth profiles and a different chain line which makes them work properly. Therefore switching between 1x and 2x isn't as simple as adding or removing the small ring so unless you like being a home mechanic I would recommend against doing it on a regular basis.

As for cassette sizing SRAM does a pretty good job of explaining the details in there promotional brochure. (https://www.sram.com/...Digital_Guide_EN.pdf). Paring a 48 or 50 front with the 11-36 wifli cassette will cover the range pretty much everyone needs. As the 11-36 is a standard wifli cassette (https://www.sram.com/...cts/pg-1170-cassette) SRAM certainly thinks it will work with their wifli derailleurs.

Having ridden CX on a 10sp 11-32 for a few seasons I think the gaps in the 11-36 are totally reasonable (as the 11-36 is the same as the 11-32+ the 26). The real question is whether the 48x11 or 50X11 is enough on the other end. For most people the answer is yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Wifli - Any downside? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I'm slightly concerned by the statement 'I could just put the FD and small ring back on..' Going 1x means getting a new specific crankset. 1x cranks have different tooth profiles and a different chain line which makes them work properly. Therefore switching between 1x and 2x isn't as simple as adding or removing the small ring so unless you like being a home mechanic I would recommend against doing it on a regular basis.

Everything I've read here on slowtwitch seems to indicate that most SRAM cranksets you can remove the original two chainrings and install the single wide/tall chainring and it works just fine.
That combined with the fact I'd be using etap, so no wires/cables to remove/install, seems like it would be pretty simple?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The nice thing about 1x that makes it easy to give it a try is you just need a new chainring. No new crank unless you're changing bcd. Heck, I even kept my internal cabling last season because I wasn't ready to give 1x the all in. But after a season I am and just took out the cabling:

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Wifli - Any downside? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
The nice thing about 1x that makes it easy to give it a try is you just need a new chainring. No new crank unless you're changing bcd. Heck, I even kept my internal cabling last season because I wasn't ready to give 1x the all in. But after a season I am and just took out the cabling:

Agree. With the most Sram cranks is also easy to change the BCD with a direct mount 1x chainring or change the spider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I don't think anybody really answered this. I have a similar question.

Most of my training on my P5 is on the Kickr and races are all pretty flat. I've got SRAM Red 10 speed on there, 52/39 12-23 and I never leave the big ring .

If I go to Etap 1x, should I get the short cage RD or WiFli? Obviously the short cage should be fine for my current use circumstances. Is there any downside to getting the WiFli in case I start riding this bike in The Perth Hills or race a destination hilly race? SRAM state that the minimum cassette size for WiFli is 11-28 (from memory) though I can't understand why it would be a problem to put it on a (for example) 11-25. Can anybody explain any downside to WiFli compared to short cage?

Thanks very much!

Sam.

Samuel Arthur Medway
Perth, Western Australia
Quote Reply
Re: Wifli - Any downside? [SamuelMedway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A longer cage weighs more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

Everything I've read here on slowtwitch seems to indicate that most SRAM cranksets you can remove the original two chainrings and install the single wide/tall chainring and it works just fine.
That combined with the fact I'd be using etap, so no wires/cables to remove/install, seems like it would be pretty simple?

Yep, that's right. I do it a couple times a year on my CX bike. Get single speed chain ring bolts, the standard ones are too long.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
As for cassette sizing SRAM does a pretty good job of explaining the details in there promotional brochure. (https://www.sram.com/...Digital_Guide_EN.pdf). Paring a 48 or 50 front with the 11-36 wifli cassette will cover the range pretty much everyone needs. As the 11-36 is a standard wifli cassette (https://www.sram.com/...cts/pg-1170-cassette) SRAM certainly thinks it will work with their wifli derailleurs.

Having ridden CX on a 10sp 11-32 for a few seasons I think the gaps in the 11-36 are totally reasonable (as the 11-36 is the same as the 11-32+ the 26). The real question is whether the 48x11 or 50X11 is enough on the other end. For most people the answer is yes.

I'm not aware of anyone successfully using an 11-36 with an etap wifli RD. I'm pretty sure the max is 32t. Do you know if this works first hand?

Bonesbrigade wrote:
scott8888 wrote:

I'm not aware of anyone successfully using an 11-36 with an etap wifli RD. I'm pretty sure the max is 32t. Do you know if this works first hand?

I have a friend running 1x eTap, with the WiFli cage and a Wolf Tooth road link derailleur hanger extender.
With that setup, he is running the SRAM 10-42t cassette.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Wifli - Any downside? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. Thanks!

SamuelMedway wrote:

If I go to Etap 1x, should I get the short cage RD or WiFli? Obviously the short cage should be fine for my current use circumstances. Is there any downside to getting the WiFli in case I start riding this bike in The Perth Hills or race a destination hilly race? SRAM state that the minimum cassette size for WiFli is 11-28 (from memory) though I can't understand why it would be a problem to put it on a (for example) 11-25. Can anybody explain any downside to WiFli compared to short cage? .

No real issues running wifli with a 25t cassette. Most of the pro tour teams just run Wifli mechs as it means less hassle when it comes to the mountain stages.
Quote Reply
Re: Wifli - Any downside? [TheFisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run 11-36 on the Wifli without any issues. Been running that way all season.
Quote Reply
Re: Wifli - Any downside? [SamuelMedway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SamuelMedway wrote:
Hi all,

I don't think anybody really answered this. I have a similar question.

Most of my training on my P5 is on the Kickr and races are all pretty flat. I've got SRAM Red 10 speed on there, 52/39 12-23 and I never leave the big ring .

If I go to Etap 1x, should I get the short cage RD or WiFli? Obviously the short cage should be fine for my current use circumstances. Is there any downside to getting the WiFli in case I start riding this bike in The Perth Hills or race a destination hilly race? SRAM state that the minimum cassette size for WiFli is 11-28 (from memory) though I can't understand why it would be a problem to put it on a (for example) 11-25. Can anybody explain any downside to WiFli compared to short cage?

Thanks very much!

Sam.

I run an 11-23 on mine with no issues
Quote Reply