Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Napa-to-Sonoma Half Marathon scrambling because of Sonoma City Council. IMSR racers - stay away. LOL.
Quote | Reply
Rachel Hundley, Gary Edwards & David Cook of the Sonoma City Council denied street closures for Destination Races Napa-to-Sonoma Half Marathon. They cited resident complaints. The Sonoma Plaza is what makes this a great destination race that sells out in 20 minutes.

“The relationship between this event and the city has been tenuous for quite a while,” said Hundley. “Last year we were barraged with complaints. This is not something that most of our residents participate in.”

There are residents lining Broadway encouraging racers down the final stretch to the Plaza so I don't buy it. I think the council members are looking for a bigger payday.

For anyone doing IM Santa Rosa - Sonoma does NOT want your business.

http://www.sonomanews.com/...uns-afoul?artslide=0
Quote Reply
Re: Napa-to-Sonoma Half Marathon scrambling because of Sonoma City Council. IMSR racers - stay away. LOL. [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local political stuff like this really works on the squeaky wheel get's the grease or at least the political urgency. There may have only been a couple of complaints, but local politicians have been known to take action, just based on those few complaints. Almost no one writes in to tell the Mayor or the Local Council-persons, "Thank you. What an awesome event X-Race was"

1. That's why when I am Race/Event Announcing I go out of my way to Thank the local politicians and urge participants to contact them and send their thanks as well. There WILL be complaints - there almost always is, but the praise and thanks needs some help to filter through.

2. Often the people complaining loudest seem to live in a no-information tunnel. Another client of mine, who puts on the largest marathon in Canada goes to RIDICULOUS and very costly lengths to inform as many people as possible about road closures that will impact people. They go door-to-door on hundreds of streets to deliver the messages to people. They put flyers on every car parked up and down impacted streets. They take our radio, and bill board ads on major road ways. All telling people about the marathon - and this marathon has been going on ON THE SAME WEEKEND FOR 25 YEARS! Then on race day there are those people at the end of there street arguing with the police that they HAVE TO get out. What sort of no-information tunnel do these people live in?? These are also the folks who complain bitterly to local politicians.

3. Destination Races is a client of mine, and they are one of the absolute best Race Management companies in North America. They are likely doing everything they can to make this win-win.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Napa-to-Sonoma Half Marathon scrambling because of Sonoma City Council. IMSR racers - stay away. LOL. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great response. Nice to hear about Destination Races. This is the same town that recently outlawed gas-operated leaf blowers so what does that tell you. It's certainly not the same town I grew up in. A lot of SF money has moved in and changed the political and social landscape as well as New Yorkers moving there just four years ago and running for city council. It's a real shame.
Quote Reply
Re: Napa-to-Sonoma Half Marathon scrambling because of Sonoma City Council. IMSR racers - stay away. LOL. [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from the Boston area but the Napa to Sonoma HM is my favorite race of all time. I've probably run it half a dozen times and never had anything less than a stellar experience. Anything I can do as an out-of-towner to help the cause?
Quote Reply
Re: Napa-to-Sonoma Half Marathon scrambling because of Sonoma City Council. IMSR racers - stay away. LOL. [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send a note to the Sonoma Index Tribune. It's great publicity for the town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Santa Rosa is in Sonoma County, but is not planned to go near the town of Sonoma. Not saying there aren't potential issues with the race, but dealing with the Sonoma city council won't be one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Napa-to-Sonoma Half Marathon scrambling because of Sonoma City Council. IMSR racers - stay away. LOL. [JAM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Understood. My comment was tongue in cheek about the council woman claiming congestion, traffic, etc. As a tourist town, they need to be careful not to bite off the hand that feeds them. I'm sure there will be many racers renting homes and hotel rooms in the town of Sonoma which is 20 miles from Santa Rosa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the comment: “an overuse of venue,” noting that the nearly $18,000 the event pays in fees, including its post-race Plaza festival, is “very inexpensive.” then raise the entree fees by $5 and the 3500 racers will contribute another $17,500 to the town.

Then there's this gem: “A lot of people are calling and wondering what the benefit is – we’re doubling the size of our town for a morning,” said Edwards.

maybe those 3500 racers need to sleep in local hotels and B&B's, eat at restaurants or shop at local stores, etc. make a vacation out of it..... you know, spend money in the town. i understand its an inconvenience for some, but still, for the sake of local businesses, and its a fun activity to go out and watch the race... they should be able to come to a happy medium.
Quote Reply