Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TT help
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek SC. It has the hidden quick release levers. When getting ready for a TT on a trainer this set up will not fit the trainer. I could use a different QR then change it before the ride which would not work it just opens up possible problems that i dont want to deal with just before the TT. I could bring another bike but we usually travel in a group and one bike plus trainer ect isnt possible. So my questions is what do other Speed Concept riders do ?????
Quote Reply
Re: TT help [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not familiar with the SC and its hidden levers but rather than bringing another bike how about another wheel just for the trainer? This would have its own QR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rollers or DD turbo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need this:
http://www.minoura.jp/...ridroller/fg540.html

Or regular rollers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be curious the aero cost of using your trainer skewer in the TT... I get wanting to be as aero as possible in a TT however.

I wonder what most people do. I imagine the issue you describe is not specific to the trek SC. Don't most people warm up on a trainer? I imagine most are just changing their skewers after their warm up.
Quote Reply
Re: TT help [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trainers eat tires, why prematurely ruin your race tire using it on a trainer? Use trainer wheel, ride on road or use something like a kickr plugged into your car :)
Quote Reply
Re: TT help [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
trainers eat tires, why prematurely ruin your race tire using it on a trainer? Use trainer wheel, ride on road or use something like a kickr plugged into your car :)
Is this true? I am curious if anyone has put data behind this. I decided this year to just train and race on the same tires to avoid failure risk driven by environment changes prior to a race. I cannot see any material wear differences on my rear tire as a result of its full-time trainer use. I am using Continental 4000s II tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:

This.

I watched a team mate literally shred the rubber of an an expensive track racing time while warming up on a turbo at the track one day. Bring a different wheel.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: TT help [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes
Last edited by: jeffp: Dec 5, 16 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, enlighten us with data. My N of 1 counters the other N of 1 above. I have thousands of trainer miles on my tire with no discernible wear. If there are objective data, please point us to it. Otherwise we can only assume they do not exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there you go then YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
So, enlighten us with data. My N of 1 counters the other N of 1 above. I have thousands of trainer miles on my tire with no discernible wear. If there are objective data, please point us to it. Otherwise we can only assume they do not exist.

Before switching to a direct drive trainer, I used to have to vacuum the rubber particles from tire wear behind my trainer.

A big part of it depends on how much power you are putting out. If you ride at 150 watts for long durations, you won't see much tire wear. If you do intervals at 300, 400, 800+ watts ... you will shred tires.
Quote Reply
Re: TT help [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a Kinetic Road Machine trainer at around 230W - 260W with most intervals in the 330W - 350W range. I have no signs of tire shavings anywhere on the floor, and I would definitely see them. I wonder if the model of the trainer and its friction wheel is the difference. Or if it could be from others over-tightening the friction against the tire.

My Continental tires have those tread depth holes, and they look identical, front and rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I squared off a bontrager r4 tire after only two rides. The same with a set of Michelin Pro4 Service Course. The contact patch basically squares off and loses any resemblance of a tread. I wouldn't really trust it riding outdoors. I learned my lesson. I went and got the cheapest tire my shop had (a $14 michelin something) and I use that on the trainer. After over 2000km it shows basically no signs of wear. Same PSI (usually around 100-110 on the trainer) and same amount of pressure on the roller. I know of other people that use the same tires all the time on the trainer and road without issue, it's definitely a "Your mileage may vary" situation. To be safe I just picked up a really cheap training wheel that I use exclusively on the trainer. wheel and tire cost me less than $50 and I just used an old cassette I had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride rollers pretty regularly that are alloy drums. My tires turn silver pretty quickly telling me I'm picking up a large amount of alloy slivers from the drums. I don't think I would want to do this to my race tires.
Quote Reply