Re: HITS Palm Springs [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
synthetic wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
mblocher wrote:
synthetic wrote:
the desert tri in march goes on well. no walkers, warmer (still chilly) water.

How is that March race anyhow? I'm targeting that as my first of the 'season' (as if we have seasons in San Diego...). Bike course looks straightforward but I can't make out the Olympic run course.

Fun race! The oly course is just a couple loops along the shore of the lake.

The only downside to that race is a lack of timing mats on the bike. Wife got knocked off the podium by a woman who only did 1 loop of the 2 loop bike course. (I passed the cheater on the straightaway out to the loop, did my 2 loops, and passed the same cheater on the way back, which would have been impossible without her skipping a loop).

Even with that issue, it's a pretty setting and well staffed/laid out.

not an oly race... 1k swim, 40k bike, 8.75k run

well, i didnt do it last year. but perhaps if you werent using a watch, your swim time may feel like legit 1500m swim.... because after the 1k swim, the swim finish timing mat is more than 800m away . at least the year i did it..

Yes an Oly race.

It was a 1500m swim last year unless I and every other swimmer somehow went a third slower than usual. Fastest swim time was +/- 18 min. I typically do about 13 min for a 1000m swim and was somewhere around 20 if I recall.

Run time for me was about right for a 10 k as well.

Also, on their website, it states distances as 1.5k, 40k, 10k.

Maybe it was a change from previous years?

Edit: look for yourself: http://www.kleinclarksports.com/triathlon

It wasnt that it "felt 1500m". I don't swim 1000m in 20+ min. I swim 1000 in 13-14 min.

I looked up a few online RRs for the 2016 race as well because you had me wondering if I was losing my mind, and people's garmins all had 1660-1700 yards for the dostance. It was 1500m, just like their website says, not 1000.

They also extended the run turnaround to make it a full 10k.

It's an oly.

Oh, and June lake tri changed the run course to extend it last year too, so if you were to do that again, it'd be different too. Races change.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Palm Springs [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
synthetic wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
synthetic wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
mblocher wrote:
synthetic wrote:
the desert tri in march goes on well. no walkers, warmer (still chilly) water.

How is that March race anyhow? I'm targeting that as my first of the 'season' (as if we have seasons in San Diego...). Bike course looks straightforward but I can't make out the Olympic run course.

Fun race! The oly course is just a couple loops along the shore of the lake.

The only downside to that race is a lack of timing mats on the bike. Wife got knocked off the podium by a woman who only did 1 loop of the 2 loop bike course. (I passed the cheater on the straightaway out to the loop, did my 2 loops, and passed the same cheater on the way back, which would have been impossible without her skipping a loop).

Even with that issue, it's a pretty setting and well staffed/laid out.

not an oly race... 1k swim, 40k bike, 8.75k run

well, i didnt do it last year. but perhaps if you werent using a watch, your swim time may feel like legit 1500m swim.... because after the 1k swim, the swim finish timing mat is more than 800m away . at least the year i did it..

Yes an Oly race.

It was a 1500m swim last year unless I and every other swimmer somehow went a third slower than usual. Fastest swim time was +/- 18 min. I typically do about 13 min for a 1000m swim and was somewhere around 20 if I recall.

Run time for me was about right for a 10 k as well.

Also, on their website, it states distances as 1.5k, 40k, 10k.

Maybe it was a change from previous years?

Edit: look for yourself: http://www.kleinclarksports.com/triathlon

It wasnt that it "felt 1500m". I don't swim 1000m in 20+ min. I swim 1000 in 13-14 min.

I looked up a few online RRs for the 2016 race as well because you had me wondering if I was losing my mind, and people's garmins all had 1660-1700 yards for the dostance. It was 1500m, just like their website says, not 1000.

They also extended the run turnaround to make it a full 10k.

It's an oly.

Oh, and June lake tri changed the run course to extend it last year too, so if you were to do that again, it'd be different too. Races change.

well then perhaps i have renewed interest to do this race. june lake i did the half, but that is beyond my driving tolerance range for a race so not interested... but if people are nearby they definitely should do that race.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Palm Springs [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What really gets me though are two things. One, I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing a single timing mat out on the bike course and I definitely didn't see one on the run course. Did anyone see timing mats? With the loops running right alongside each other, I saw people cut the course and even happened upon one guy who completely cut the course and then pretended like he was lost when I caught him. You know who you are.
Did this fellow actually run the course after you caught them? Looking into a fishy result...

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Palm Springs [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He absolutely did. He was coming along the road that runs parallel to Airport Blvd, inside the park it runs between the stables (buildings) and practice field or whatever those things are called. He came down that road - where no one was supposed to be - and pretended to look like he had gotten turned around and then kept going back to where the route actually was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife did HITS Palm Springs in December. We agree with no timing mats. My wife was the 5th female off the bike. However, the run course was so confusing she got lost. The volunteers were no help whatsoever . She ended up 3rd and immediately knew something was not right. She checked her watch and was at 12.6 miles at the finish. She checked her run vs. the course map, using Strava. She determined that she was indeed lost and didn't complete the actual course. She was disappointed, but went to the USAT official and disqualified herself.
She should not have had to do that had the course been properly marked and monitored. 10 hour drive one way didn't make it better. This race has the potential to be a good race. However, there are lots of details that need to be addressed.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Palm Springs [thomtwg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
She checked her watch and was at 12.6 miles at the finish.

She actually probably ran more than most, looking at this:
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#792788534?c=9mvrk4ye&z=F&t=1OGmzB&a=Nv5AL0JeoC8
the course was actually 12.5 miles!

Tony
Last edited by: tonythetriguy: Feb 28, 17 17:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that sucks for her. I think they have hired a pretty squared away guy to get these issues handled. But, timing mats, better marking of courses, volunteers and law enforcement that know what's going on, and someone actually watching the bikes in transition overnight, are sorely needed. If everything is done on a shoe string budget, people will not continue to do the races.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Palm Springs [thomtwg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently they already sold out for Napa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM...

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
Apparently they already sold out for Napa.

I contacted HITS to see if they're sticking with the same bike and run course as 2016. FWIW, I was told they are going back to the original courses and not using the same courses as 2016. Maybe they're actually listening to slowtwitch and those who responded to their survey.

I raced HITS Palm Springs 2012-2014 and had no intent of coming back once I read what others said here. But now I'm hopeful it will be back to what it was eariler. The weather is always a crapshoot in December, especially for a bike route that takes you out in the exposed flats of the desert. But I've been hit with terrible weather on plenty of other races, including a miserably cold and rainy day at IM Canada in 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Palm Springs [elburrito99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go again if the kept bike course and did an out and back on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone want to chat about this race:

email me derek@marathoninvestigation.com

Planning to put an article up tomorrow.

Most interesting in the cheating witnessed. Although I probably have enough from this thread, it's better to talk or message someone one on one.

http://www.marathoninvestigation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were the multiple wave starts at this race? Interesting thing, if you add the swim, transitions, bike, and run, for 21 people, they had a bonus 16 minutes subtracted from their time. One person got 24 minutes, and one 48 minutes!

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were waves. Half and Full, Male and Female age groups, if I remember correctly. I think it went Full Male, Full Female, then Half Male under 40, Half Male over 40, then the same for Female. I'm old so I really only pay attention to where I start.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Palm Springs [Derek M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Read your article. Pretty clear case. No way do you take the first six hours to get past the swim and bike, and then run that fast. No way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next