Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Warbird wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Warbird wrote:

When I was at my peak in my mid-late 20s, I was overweight by BMI standards, even though I was at 6-7% body fat and my ribs showed...

How many hours/week were you in the weight room? And what was your open 5k time?

Zero time in the weight room, just a lot of running, swimming, riding, and skateboarding. Average 5k time was just under 19, with an 18:39 PR.

JOOC, what was your height/weight at the time???

5'9", 175lbs, for a BMI of 25.8

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Warbird wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Warbird wrote:

When I was at my peak in my mid-late 20s, I was overweight by BMI standards, even though I was at 6-7% body fat and my ribs showed...

How many hours/week were you in the weight room? And what was your open 5k time?

Zero time in the weight room, just a lot of running, swimming, riding, and skateboarding. Average 5k time was just under 19, with an 18:39 PR.

JOOC, what was your height/weight at the time???

5'9", 175lbs, for a BMI of 25.8.

Interesting, thanks. I'm about 6'1.5" so I'd need to be around 198 to have the 25.8 BMI. I've been as high as 183 and definitely gain muscle as well as fat so that i do look consid more muscular at 183 vs 173. Never had the nerve to let myself go up higher though. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I clicked on this thread because I thought this may be one of those challenges that I actually jump into. LOL. As it turns out, it's just a bunch of skinny guys making fun of another skinny guy for talking about a challenge. I guess I need to find a Jenny Craig forum. Ha ha.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
I clicked on this thread because I thought this may be one of those challenges that I actually jump into. LOL. As it turns out, it's just a bunch of skinny guys making fun of another skinny guy for talking about a challenge. I guess I need to find a Jenny Craig forum. Ha ha.

"You can't always get what you want but if you try sometime, you just might find, you'll get what you need..." (Rolling Stones)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:

You can look at it half empty if you want.

Off season is the perfect time to focus on weight lose, control, with the holidays. No need to play the games with the new years resolutions, start now. I sure am
keeping my focus. In a lot of ways, it might be harder to get and stay "skinny", than be fat. Most "skinny" folks have to work at it to get, and stay that way.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
The Wall wrote:
Toefuzz wrote:
I don't remember that. What were the rules and how did everyone keep track? I would be interested in a weight loss challenge if anyone else is.

This was it. And I'm shocked to see it was 2 years ago not just 1.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5331532#p5331532

Not perfect. Could've ended up nothing more than popularity contest but I couldn't think of any other way of doing it with a bunch of strangers in all parts of the globe. But it motivated me so it worked for me!

Have you kept the weight off since the challenge?

For the most part yes. The reason it isn't a straight up "yes" is a year ago this week I had a pretty awful mountain bike crash resulting in a couple broken ribs. That ultimately led to pneumonia which took about 9-10 months to recover from. So I initially lost even more (in an unhealthy way). Once the appetite came back without a return of the energy level the weight did creep up some. I'm finally feeling normal again and am leaning out again. The good news is at 46 years old - and as sucky as pneumonia is - I had nearly a year of rest! I feel great! I also completely kicked the soda habit so hopefully some more positive gains forthcoming.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [The Wall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That is awesome. Thanks for the inspiration! Keep it coming please!!'
John
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
dprocket wrote:

Off season is the perfect time to focus on weight lose, control, with the holidays. No need to play the games with the new years resolutions, start now. I sure am
keeping my focus. In a lot of ways, it might be harder to get and stay "skinny", than be fat. Most "skinny" folks have to work at it to get, and stay that way.

I agree with Dave that off season is the time to stay focused on body composition, since you may not have to devote as much mental energy to training anyway. The good thing is if you can maintain reasonable composition, it provides a good starting point for more heavy training since you are carrying less weight while running and not trying to lose weight while doing higher volume.

Dave, thanks for starting this thread. It seems since it got going (coupled with the watts per kilo thread), I've brought things consistently down 2-3 lbs. I figure I have 2-3 lbs more to go by New Year's to get back into a reasonable range for the rest of the off season. Even if I can't quite get there, moving close will be in the right direction. I was just going in the wrong direction with recent negative stress. I just find when I have negative stress, my entire metabolism drops if I am in a negative mindset and even though I might train as much, outside of training, I'm just burning less being "down" rather than "up"...plus what goes in becomes "low octane" fuel mucking around with blood insulin levels etc resulting in more storage of fat.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
dprocket wrote:

I agree with Dave that off season is the time to stay focused on body composition, since you may not have to devote as much mental energy to training anyway. The good thing is if you can maintain reasonable composition, it provides a good starting point for more heavy training since you are carrying less weight while running and not trying to lose weight while doing higher volume.

Dave, thanks for starting this thread. It seems since it got going (coupled with the watts per kilo thread), I've brought things consistently down 2-3 lbs. I figure I have 2-3 lbs more to go by New Year's to get back into a reasonable range for the rest of the off season. Even if I can't quite get there, moving close will be in the right direction. I was just going in the wrong direction with recent negative stress. I just find when I have negative stress, my entire metabolism drops if I am in a negative mindset and even though I might train as much, outside of training, I'm just burning less being "down" rather than "up"...plus what goes in becomes "low octane" fuel mucking around with blood insulin levels etc resulting in more storage of fat.

Great job.

This was why I started the thread. As you and I said, off season seems to be the time to at least consider is one at the weight they want to be for racing. If not, with the holidays, maybe this is more important to focus on than 100 day runs, or swims, or, ....

And as I said, rather than a competition, lets just keep this need visible and support each other as we try different things to achieve this goal. With me eating out with my Dad 2 to 3 days a week now for over a year since my Mom died, I have had to really really focus on what the scale says. So easy to eat too much at these dinners.

Just got off a 90 minute powercrank spin. Now time to do my 90 minute run in the hills since not raining this morning. This stuff allows me to eat this crappy stuff at Dinner,
and not gain too much weight. Moving pea gravel at my lake front for 5 hours a day also really helps burn the energy.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, thanks for starting this thread. It has kept things reasonably honest lately. I even saw the scale showin a 13x number a few times in the last 10 days. I think being able to jog/run again is also helping with the leaning out, but mainly just being a bit more disciplined is helping.

Hopefully everyone is having a successful January.
Quote Reply

Prev Next