Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guppies: Week-1 workouts posted [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Hi Dan - when's week 2 being published?
Thanks in advance

I'm wondering also. I need to get next weeks 4 swims in by Thursday . S,M, W, Th
Quote Reply
Re: Guppies: Week-1 workouts posted [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Not necessarily Guppy challenge specific, but I am using the challenge to get back into regular swimming after reducing my swimming to 1-2x per week over the last month and a half to focus on some running races. Over the spring and summer I was swimming 3-4 times per week, total 7-9000 yds/week.

Lately when I swim I am getting a lot of soreness in my left upper pec/shoulder (kinda in the valley between shoulder and pec) after less than 1000 yds. I thought it was from introducing some paddle work, but experiencing the same thing even without using paddles.

Is this a normal symptom of returning to swimming that will subside as I slowly rebuild frequency/volume? Any suggestions of stretches and exercises that may help?

Any input appreciated.

It's a technique problem, and is possibly related to weak rotator cuff muscles. Google "winging scapula" and see if you have one of those. That indicates a rotator cuff weakness.

As far as technique, do your arms cross too far inward toward the midline of your body? Another thing that can cause that sort of pinching is not reaching far enough out - if you have a really short armstroke, that won't help it.

Paddles tend to exacerbate these things, so my advice would be no more paddles for you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Guppies: Week-1 workouts posted [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My feet seem to bump and cross over a bit. Am I over-rotating or...?

And, I can't seem to get the hang of where and how I'm supposed to post, so if this is in the wrong place, so sorry.

TIA.

Rachel
Quote Reply
Re: Guppies: Week-1 workouts posted [Rh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My feet seem to bump and cross over a bit. Am I over-rotating"

no. you are bending or twisting at the waist when you breathe. if you stick a pull buoy between your legs, and keep your legs together, and swim, the requirement to keep your legs together means your legs can't do those gyrations that counterbalance the bending at the waist. this will keep you from counterbalancing, which will REALLY show the bending you do at the waist (which is bad). you are then FORCED to STOP bending at the waist, i.e., you are forced to correct your stroke.

"I can't seem to get the hang of where and how I'm supposed to post,"

yes you can. and you did. this is as good a place to post as any.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Guppies: Week-1 workouts posted [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was a really great idea until it stopped after 1 week.
Quote Reply
Re: Guppies: Week-1 workouts posted [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
This was a really great idea until it stopped after 1 week.

Too much pizza?
Quote Reply
Re: Guppies: Week-1 workouts posted [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only did 3 workouts last wk so until wk 2 is up I'm going to do wk 1 #4 and 5. And if necessary start back at Wk 1 #1. etc
Repeating wk 1 won't hurt while you wait :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Guppies: Week-1 workouts posted [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're right. we're behind. but week-2 workouts are now posted on the main page.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next