Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to do with the run/bike in a swim focus block?
Quote | Reply
I'm spending about 3 months on a very heavy swim focused block (maybe even extend it to 6 months), but I'm debating how to handle the bike and run. My current FTP is 230W, and my 5K PR is 23:27. Next season I will race mostly sprints and maybe an Oly if I feel I improved enough on my swim.

So... what do? Any suggestions? I don't want to lose much run fitness if possible, but it would be great if I can continue to build that FTP, although slowly because of the effort in the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with the run/bike in a swim focus block? [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My twin! Same ftp and 5k numbers but I'm on an injury induced swim block. Foot is feeling better so I'm going to use TrainerRoad and some short easy runs to keep some bike/run fitness. My swim block is modest...right now just 12-15k a week but I'd like to graduate up to 15-20k over the next few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with the run/bike in a swim focus block? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm swimming around 12-13K now. Would love to bring it up to 15K-20K, but at my pace I need more time in the pool, or do doubles. Maybe in a few months.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with the run/bike in a swim focus block? [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's say you are swimming 5x per week, you can easily add a 15-20 min run on your swim days at some point in the day. That leave 2 days a week to do a normal run and normal bike. During one of your 5 swim days, just add a 45 min trainer ride with 30x(40 second hard-20 second easy spin). That should keep your biking "alive" and not losing much. Assume during all the swimming there will be a decent amount of kick sets too (let's say with fins, on your back, doing dolphin kick etc....so the same muscles used for biking should be aerobically well conditioned).

All this to say, you won't lose "much" if you do enough swimming. The short runs will keep the weight bearing chain in your body active. I've been on a year long swim focus for a number of reasons and everytime I get on the bike I am stronger than last year, but this could have something to do with not running, but I am certain the swim aerobic conditioning is superior to anything I can consistently achieve on the bike or run. Just can't do that much intensity everyday in those sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Judging on your times and the length of a sprint distance swim, unless your swim is extremely shocking, you may get bang for buck with a bike/run focus?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An efficient approach is to get in the short runs on the treadmill either right before or right after your swims.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with the run/bike in a swim focus block? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Judging on your times and the length of a sprint distance swim, unless your swim is extremely shocking, you may get bang for buck with a bike/run focus?

This would be the logical thing to do, especially since I'm sticking with short course... but I still would like to be a better swimmer. The bike I think is where I should concentrate next, as the run as always been my Achilles Tendon and I end up getting injured one way or another; I think maybe I can shave off another minute off of my 5K over the course of next season, but I don't think I will be able to go lower than 22... but who knows..
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with the run/bike in a swim focus block? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Let's say you are swimming 5x per week, you can easily add a 15-20 min run on your swim days at some point in the day. That leave 2 days a week to do a normal run and normal bike. During one of your 5 swim days, just add a 45 min trainer ride with 30x(40 second hard-20 second easy spin). That should keep your biking "alive" and not losing much. Assume during all the swimming there will be a decent amount of kick sets too (let's say with fins, on your back, doing dolphin kick etc....so the same muscles used for biking should be aerobically well conditioned).

All this to say, you won't lose "much" if you do enough swimming. The short runs will keep the weight bearing chain in your body active. I've been on a year long swim focus for a number of reasons and everytime I get on the bike I am stronger than last year, but this could have something to do with not running, but I am certain the swim aerobic conditioning is superior to anything I can consistently achieve on the bike or run. Just can't do that much intensity everyday in those sports.

Thanks, I will try it this week.
Quote Reply