Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming - how much body roll?
Quote | Reply
I'm slowly working my way back into tri shape after a long layoff.
My question is, how much does the body roll while swimming, and is it a result of the catch, or is it a distinct action that allows the body to maximize the catch. If that makes sense.
There are times when it feels to me like the motion of the body side to side is almost like an engine which doesn't consume a lot of energy as it's assisted by gravity. Or is it?
I don't know, I'm a terrible swimmer who just wants to be become a more efficient age grouper!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - how much body roll? [triathlung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The amount of body roll is very individual as well as being influenced by the length of the event.
Sprinters tend to be a little flatter than long distance as peak power demands higher turnover rates and maximum efficiency is a little higher with more roll.

The more you roll the more you use your back Lats.
So if you are a barrel chested guy with huge Pecs, you tend to roll less than somebody with more natural back development than chest.
Women in general also tend to roll less than men.
They have a different buoyancy balance than men due to boobs and hips and generally more total fat deposits.
One of the reason there tend on the whole to be more 2 beat kick timing women than men and the higher amount of women that get away with a straight arm recovery which generally is suicide for men.

So to answer your question for you, it depends.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good webinar from USA Swimming on rotation that should answer your questions: https://usaswimming.adobeconnect.com/_a792273714/p21ezkpf0m6/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The roll is more of a function of the recovery than the catch, although it helps with that as well. You should roll until just before your chin touches your shoulder.

Note that even though he breathes to one side only, he rolls the same to both. If you're just starting, I'd recommend breathing every three strokes to help encourage a symmetrical stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - how much body roll? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Straight arm recovery only works if you roll further than usual, otherwise you rip your shoulders apart, as mentioned in this article.

https://www.google.com/...nt=ms-android-att-us
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - how much body roll? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Straight arm recovery only works if you roll further than usual, otherwise you rip your shoulders apart, as mentioned in this article.

https://www.google.com/...arm-recovery-whats-g boyancy allowbest-for-you_117804/amp?client=ms-android-att-us
Which is why you mostly see it with flexible women.
My reference there was that differing boyancy allowed for a straight arm recovery without as much penalty, not that straight arm goes hand in hand with a flatter position.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - how much body roll? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies then. That's how I read it, and wanted to get that clarified at least
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - how much body roll? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
The roll is more of a function of the recovery than the catch, although it helps with that as well. You should roll until just before your chin touches your shoulder.

Note that even though he breathes to one side only, he rolls the same to both. If you're just starting, I'd recommend breathing every three strokes to help encourage a symmetrical stroke.

I've watched that video about a dozen times before and I've always though the most amazing thing about Phelps's swimming is how phenomenally flexible his ankles, feet, and even his toes are. If you look closely at his feet, you can see that every single part is flexing as he dolphins at about :50 to:59 in this video. Amazing flexibility.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to visualize that my recovering elbow is vertically above the centerline of my body as it passes over the top position. Hard to do that if you are rolling enough.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - how much body roll? [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for chiming in.
Back to the pool!
Quote Reply