Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can a 4 month cycling focus adversely affect running gait?
Quote | Reply
6 months ago I virtually nixed my running volume due to a minor calf injury. During that time my cycling took over and was my focus. 2 months ago, I got the all-clear to return to running. All my runs have been easy with a gradual increase to just 20 mpw (half of my normal volume of 40 mpw). No tempo, no track. Despite this, my running has not come back. Not only are my legs consistently heavy and tired, my calves fire up during every run (in my past 15 years of running, my calves have NEVER hurt during slow runs or even tempo runs, only during hard track workouts). My questions are:

1) Would 4 months of a bike focus (trainer only) be enough to alter my running gait?
2) Why would my calves fire up during easy runs?

Important disclaimer: my podiatrist recommended Brooks Beast shoes + orthotics (had been running in Brooks Adrenaline) and felt that would resolve any calf issues but maybe that is the problem? Would it take 2+ months to get used to these new shoes?

Thanks for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Can a 4 month cycling focus adversely affect running gait? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Two initial questions...

1) When was your last bike fit?
2) Do you do any lower body strength training?
Quote Reply
Re: Can a 4 month cycling focus adversely affect running gait? [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sambadhillon wrote:

Two initial questions...

1) When was your last bike fit?
2) Do you do any lower body strength training?
Bike fit was 2 seasons ago. No strength training, other than lunges and single-leg squats.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a 4 month cycling focus adversely affect running gait? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just my initial thoughts, that an inadequate bike fit may be causing you to use your 'run' muscles while cycling, making your legs feel like crap when you finally do engage them on the run.

Secondly, the impact of running especially on the lower half of the legs, after a semi layoff, may be contributing to the pain your feeling in the calves? Running is way more impacting than cycling, so if you're now upping your mileage, your muscles may not be ready for it.

Hence, perhaps look in to doing a more comprehensive set of lower body exercises. Look in to deadlifts (which activate your posterior range of muscles inc hamstrings) and standing calf raises.

As for your running, increase frequency, and reduce volume. Look in to the Barry P running plan. Its probably what I would suggest to you right now.

Hope some of this helps.
Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if you hips/SI joint are all locked up from not doing any of the natural motion from running and walking. Did you swim during this period or take walks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much do you weigh? I'm a lighter runner and tried Beasts once. Never felt like they broke in for me.

Quote Reply
Re: Can a 4 month cycling focus adversely affect running gait? [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. I think the bike fit has been on point. Before my "issue," my bike to run was effortless. But I won't count that out. I've done a version of BarryP's plan currently. Just slowly building volume with short runs, spread out consistently.

The single leg squats were an attempt at reactivating my glutes. Any other suggested glute activators? Maybe a bridge stretch or even start doing yoga?

I'm 145 lbs. Bummed that the Beast shoes are so heavy, but I suppose it's the price I pay to avoid another injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:

I'm 145 lbs. Bummed that the Beast shoes are so heavy, but I suppose it's the price I pay to avoid another injury.

If I run in heavy or motion control shoes it makes my running feel terrible. It would be worth a try to go back to your old shoes for a few runs to see if it changes things for the better.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes on both accounts.

Your calves got lazy by being locked in one position. Same as always running on road and then switching to trail running... your lower leg will act up (as will your hips and lower spine).

Kentucky Mac wrote:
6 months ago I virtually nixed my running volume due to a minor calf injury. During that time my cycling took over and was my focus. 2 months ago, I got the all-clear to return to running. All my runs have been easy with a gradual increase to just 20 mpw (half of my normal volume of 40 mpw). No tempo, no track. Despite this, my running has not come back. Not only are my legs consistently heavy and tired, my calves fire up during every run (in my past 15 years of running, my calves have NEVER hurt during slow runs or even tempo runs, only during hard track workouts). My questions are:

1) Would 4 months of a bike focus (trainer only) be enough to alter my running gait?
2) Why would my calves fire up during easy runs?

Important disclaimer: my podiatrist recommended Brooks Beast shoes + orthotics (had been running in Brooks Adrenaline) and felt that would resolve any calf issues but maybe that is the problem? Would it take 2+ months to get used to these new shoes?

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 22, 16 20:49
Quote Reply