Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help pick brakes and bars for my road bike
Quote | Reply
I just switched from an emonda SLR to a tarmac for my 2017 road season. I'm moving most of my parts over, but the trek brakes are direct mount and the tarmac are not.

Truth be told, I would have preferred to be on the more aero Allez sprint, but the team manager wants our frames to match.

I'm trying to decide if I should go with tri rig omega brakes for the front, front and rear, or neither. We are a crit racing team (cat1, not that it really matters). Im guessing that the tri rig has plenty of stopping power, especially since we are never doing any long descents. Most of the braking is short.

We have a great sprinter, but I will spend most of my energy in breakaways or towing him around when he needs it, so I like the idea of making the bike more aero as long as it doesn't come with downsides.

Can you think of any reason to NOT go with the tri rig on a crit bike?

What about handlebars? I'm on aluminum bontrager aero road bars now. I don't love them, but don't hate them. The tarmac frame will be heavier than the emonda, but I could even things out a bit if I went with a lightweight bar. I liked the bontrager bars because they have enough room for aerobars, but in the three seasons I raced them, I don't think I ever once clipped aero bars on them. I do kind of like aluminum bars, but could save some weight if I went with a non-aero zipp service course aluminum bar over my current bontrager bar.

Is there any data comparing the aerofly to the zipps or enve bars?

For aero brakes and aero handlebars combined, am I looking at about 5 watts at 30mph? 10 watts?
Quote Reply
Re: Help pick brakes and bars for my road bike [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an older, 2010 Tarmac SL3. I am using 3T Ergonava bars. They are sold in either aluminum or carbon. As far as brakes, why not just match your groupo?
Quote Reply
Re: Help pick brakes and bars for my road bike [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I have an older, 2010 Tarmac SL3. I am using 3T Ergonava bars. They are sold in either aluminum or carbon. As far as brakes, why not just match your groupo?

Yeah, I could run SRAM Red brakes, but if there is a decent advantage to running the omegas without any drawbacks, then I would do the omegas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would consider prioritizing an aero handlebar over the aero brakes. If I remember the Cervelo S5 whitepaper correctly (I would have linked it but they seem to have taken it down) there are a lot more watts available w/ a decent aero handlebar than with excellent brakes. Staying sponsor correct the specialized aerofly bars are pretty nice. Then again specialized claims about 17 secs / 40km which is about 4.25w. Using
Andrew Coggan wrote:
0.1 lbs (50 g) of drag (at 30 mph) = 0.5 s/km = 5 W = 0.005 m^2 CdA = 0.0005 Crr
Originally here

To answer your question you can save between 2-6 watts by replacing the front brake w/ an omega. This test has been conducted by a well known and trustworthy 3rd source, but the results are still pretty incredible. Replacing the rear brake is probably going to be way less effective at getting you more slippery especially on a frame that isn't trying to shield the rear brake at all i.e. the tarmac.
Last edited by: pyrahna: Oct 21, 16 3:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I built up my Scott Foil with the Zipp SL70 Aero bars. Well worth the price in my opinion. They look awesome, they are super comfortable, the inside routing of the cables cleans the front end up big time, they are stiff, aero, etc. One of the best things I did for my bike. Price is up there, but you touch your saddle, your shoes and your bars, might as well go with good parts for all three.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a '16 SW Tarmac a few weeks back when my Specialized LBS released Spesh's '16 sale list.
I have the Omega's on the front, Sram Red brakes on the back. For the cockpit I went aluminum, Zipp Service Course 70 bars & Zipp Service Course SL-OS stem.....also went with Zipp 404s & eTap.
I'm a fan of the Omegas. I have them up front on two other road bikes I have. They have a good strong feel and good stopping power IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait...a "Cat 1 crit racing team" and the default team bike is a Tarmac? <smh>

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just put the omega brakes and the aerofly bars on my bike. I like them. Not sure about the exact watt savings
Quote Reply