Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What hitch rack do you use? [odpaul7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Thule, I can't recall the model but it's a two bike where the tires fit in cradles and it fastens down and locks with a bar that goes over the frame. Also comes in a four bike model. Very easy to use, has been very durable and maintenance free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kuat, can't remember which one but not the expandable on, and it is designed to fit a 1.25 receiver. High points for me works welll, the tightener to the receiver is awesome, and it holds the bikes by the wheels. Down side the lock that comes for bikes is crap I just lock my bikes to the rack it is locked to the hitch anyway, the lock to the hitch could be better but still works, and lastly the tightener that I love sticks out a bit low on my imprezza and sometimes hits the road backing out at a steep angle.

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: What hitch rack do you use? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden several hours at 80 mph with a disc cover from wheel builder with it taped on and it has been perfectly fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Kuat Sherpa for about seven years. It's been used a lot and over the last year or two, I've had to replace some of the smaller parts, but it still works and looks good. Overall, super happy with it.

When it's time to replace it, I'll be looking at the 1UpUSA

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat NV - Awesome rack, easy to use, sturdy, looks good. The built in work stand is actually pretty handy.

I like the 1Up also, but my LBS had the Kuat.
Quote Reply
Re: What hitch rack do you use? [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you for the info. I will probably get 1up.
Quote Reply
Re: What hitch rack do you use? [aki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Thule T2. No complaints with it whatsoever. Love the built in locks for both the bike and hitch lock. Also doubles as a bumper guard when parked! (I live just outside Manhattan and street parking destroys most bumpers, not with this rack!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the three you are looking at, I would go with the Thule. Why? Because it clamps the tire rather than the frame.

What size receiver are you putting on your car? I get to see a lot of bike racks in action as a bike fitter. One thing I've seen with a few racks, is that they'll use a plastic sleeve to adapt a 1.25" mount to a 2" receiver. I've seen a couple of people where this gets pretty sloppy. So, if you have a 2" receiver on your car, go for a 2" mount.

Also, pay attention to the weight on these racks. The steel ones can be super heavy. That's one of my big gripes about my Yakima HoldUp. It's pretty portly.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1up USA is the way to go.

We have a convertible so roof rack was not an option. I got the single bike 1.25" version and it comes with a plate you can bolt on to make it fit 2". It is rock solid on the car and with the adapter it works great with my truck, not sure what a previous poster was on about, but there is absolutely zero play with the included 2" adapter if installed correctly.

You can do up to 3 bikes on the 1.25" version. My end goal is to buy two addons, then buy the two bike 2" version for my truck. That would give me the ability to go 1-3 bikes on the cars and 2-4 on the truck. So far the single has been enough for me as the wife doesn't ride.
Quote Reply
Re: What hitch rack do you use? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are just running 1 bike mount, esp. with a road or tri bike, you likely don't have enough weight on the rack to cause the rack to experience the play that can occur over time. I'm running two mtb's and found that the inherent play in the 2" adapter plate exacerbated on long road trips, causing re-tightening. And yes- the rack was installed correctly (like there's a way to incorrectly install a square rack into a square receiver.) So before you impune someone else's mechanical skills you may want to just simply state that you haven't experienced that situation yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: What hitch rack do you use? [heliskyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heliskyr wrote:
If you are just running 1 bike mount, esp. with a road or tri bike, you likely don't have enough weight on the rack to cause the rack to experience the play that can occur over time. I'm running two mtb's and found that the inherent play in the 2" adapter plate exacerbated on long road trips, causing re-tightening. And yes- the rack was installed correctly (like there's a way to incorrectly install a square rack into a square receiver.) So before you impune someone else's mechanical skills you may want to just simply state that you haven't experienced that situation yourself.

What would the inherent play in the plate be? It is a plate that is bolted onto the rack, there isn't any play when you bolt it on...

Or are you saying the ball mechanism is coming loose?
Quote Reply
Re: What hitch rack do you use? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my 1.25" rack, I had a persistent problem with the 5mm bolt that affixes the adapter plate to the 1.25" shaft. I found that if the 5mm bolt loosened by say 1/16 of a turn, the adapter plate would wobble slightly, which translated to rack movement even if the bolt controlling the ball tension was tight . To remedy that, I would have to first remove the rack from the hitch and then tighten that 5mm bolt, and then reinstall the rack, which was time consuming. To be clear, I wasn't concerned about the rack falling off, but it would be disconcerting to see the bikes sway more than I felt was needed. When I replaced the 1.25" hitch mount to the native 2" this problem was eliminated for me.

I only brought this issue up initially to encourage those interested in the 1up rack to go with the 2" native hitch mount if their vehicle would accommodate it, as in my experience it is the most stable/secure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1UpUSA is awesome. We have the double with 2 add ons - 4 bikes is an easy breeze even for my wife!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat NV

I love it. For deeper wheel sets, just turn the bike around and put the lever bar over the rear wheel and the loop through the front wheel.

Very secure.

It is a little bit heavy taking it off the car and putting it back on, but I'm so pleased with how it carries my bike, that I'll deal with the extra weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up usa is on both of our cars, all the time, as a single unit. It's so convenient to leave on, as it won't interfere with you opening your trunk or rear door/hatch. It's also still easy to access the rear cargo area, grocery shop, etc., with the rack on. It only takes 30 seconds, literally, if you are slow to add additional racks or 30 seconds to fully remove from your car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do yourself a favor, just buy a 1-up USA stand. I've had mine for two years, and it has transported my bike from central PA to Mont-Tremblant, my bike plus a friend's (yes, you can get a single bike rack that is non-obtrusive for everyday riding and add an extension in <5 minutes) to Omaha which included a severe thunderstorm for the whole stretch of Iowa. Both bikes had discs on them, both were perfectly fine. I damaged the rack by backing into a downspout. I just got the required parts from 1 UP to rebuild the rack, which ended up costing something like $70. The standard wheel holders are just large enough for my 650+ mountain bike. Simply put, it's a tank and works great. My dad putted around looking at racks, then bought a 1UP after he looked at mine. At the end of the day, it's hard to argue against something that's simply this well built. My recommendation to anyone considering a hitch rack is to simply 'get their shit together' and buy a 1UP.

For security options, you can buy the metal bars that slip through wheel holders. Order those and the lock for the hitch, and they'll be keyed identically. More secure than the cable options.

Also, it's all aluminum construction. It saves on weight, and you don't have to worry about corrosion as much.
Quote Reply
Re: What hitch rack do you use? [heliskyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may also depend on the hitch I'm assuming. My dad went the 1.25" rack for his 2" hitch. No issues for him.
Quote Reply
Re: What hitch rack do you use? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even with all the 1-up USA recommendations, I have a 1.25" receiver--I guess I could have gone with the 2" but thats a fault on my part. I decided to go with the Kuat NV 2. Weight doesn't bother me much and the built in cables & bike rack won me over.

+1 Kuat NV. That thing is a tank

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply

Prev Next