Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which trainers work with Mac?
Quote | Reply
I am looking to buy a mid range smart trainer to use with Zwift or Bkool.

I had all but decided to buy the Tacx Vortex smart but then I saw a statement that it does not work with a Macbook. However, Zwift can obviously be run on a Mac so I became a bit confused about what it is that is not compatible.

Other options that I have considered are Elite Rampa, CycleOps Magnum or Kickr Snap.

Can anyone advice which of thees can work with a Macbook or an iPad2?

Do I need a ANT+ dongle for the computer to be able to communicate with the trainer?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Which trainers work with Mac? [Swede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a vortex smart with my ipad all the time. Any ipad that has bluetooth smart works with Tacx app, put the dongle on and you can use any app.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kickr Snap works with a MacBook via TrainerRoad or Zwift. I have an older (2011) MacBook Pro for work, and need an ANT+ dongle. You may be able to use bluetooth with the newer Macbooks, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Which trainers work with Mac? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx. Tacx says you need iPad 3 or higher though.

So if I understand correctly - tacx own software is not possible to use with a MacBook .

With zwift it should work, at least if I get an ant + dongle (any recs as to which dongle?)

Correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Bkool Smart Pro trainer, and it's a great solid unit so far.

The Bkool app supports both Mac OS and PC. It came with the USB dongle. Says it supports Bluetooth Smart, but have not tried that.

The firmware updated it to ANT+ FE-C when I first got it, and it's worked well all year.

I did put the ANT+ dongle on a 6' USB extension to give it better connectivity to the control unit. I think it improved it's response to power changes.
Last edited by: metafizx: Oct 19, 16 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a kickr off a MacBook pro. No need for an ANT dongle if all your devices are bluetooth. You need a ant dongle if you have ant devices (like my older power meter and cadence monitor).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any trainer that transmits bluetooth smart will work. The limiting factor will be your macbook. The macbook pros after ~spring 2011 release I believe have this capability, but you'll want to check your specific computer/device first.

Wahoo is generally the most open of the trainers you've mentioned, and they just dropped the price of the kickr snap to compete with the upcoming Cycleops. DC Rainmaker just released his trainer recommendations as well.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run Zwift on a Macbook and use a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer. I've been using an old Garmin ant+ dongle that came with an older Garmin watch for syncing to the computer. Works without issue.

You can also now use BT in conjunction with the mobile app and forego the ant+ dongle if you wish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use the Vortex Smart with a Mac, but I did it a few times and noticed the Tacx would unexpectedly and randomly go to an insanely difficult level of resistance. A google search showed this to be a common issue with the software. Started using a PC and have not had an issue yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The KICKR and KICKR Snap can both be connected and controlled over both Bluetooth and ANT+ making it very easy to get electronic resistance control with third party apps on your smart phone or computer.

Any Mac computer with Mac OS X 10.8 or higher will have Bluetooth natively built into the machine. This includes Macbook Air (mid 2011), Mac Mini (late 2011), Macbook Pro (mid 2012), and iMac (early 2013).

If your machine is any older than those you may need the ANT+ USB stick. But most trainers are now ANT+ FE-C compatible, meaning you can get full resistance control over ANT+ with third party software. The Tacx Vortex Smart is an ANT+ FE-C enabled trainer, so you'll only be able to get resistance control with third party apps over ANT+. That said, you can get resistance control over Bluetooth, but only while using Tacx's own app.

Hope this helps!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Which trainers work with Mac? [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Kurt kinnetic smart trainer that worked with the bt dongle with my MacBook Pro. I have power pedals now but it worked great before I got the pm. Fairly accurate too, within 7 watts +\-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run my Kickr using my iPad Mini.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run both trainerroad and zwift from my MacBook Pro (to a tacx neo) no problems at all. I use an ant+ USB connection but Bluetooth should also work well.

For everything other than zwift I often just use an iPad or iPhone to control the trainer (normally using a wahoo ant+ key as I've got it but Bluetooth works just fine), purely as it's faster than bring the MacBook in and plugging cables in. Zwift releases iOS in November apparently, tacx app and everything else I use is already there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Vortex Smart with trainer road and Zwift on my Mac book, iPad, and iPod touch with no issues.

Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: Which trainers work with Mac? [Stueys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stueys wrote:
Zwift releases iOS in November apparently.

Source?
Quote Reply
Re: Which trainers work with Mac? [Deathwish86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deathwish86 wrote:
Stueys wrote:
Zwift releases iOS in November apparently.

Source?

I saw something to that effect as well. IIRC they previewed it at Interbike
Quote Reply