Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Body marking serves no legitimate purpose.

"What are those?"
"Totally raced a triathlon this weekend. Training paid off. I kicked ass. Awesome bike split. Nailed my nutrition. Follow me on Instagram. But really, just blessed."

I call that legitimate.
Last edited by: Goosedog: Oct 18, 16 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the photo companies pay for that "privilege", so that's a lot of the reason IMO. Also, as someone stated, the security of getting your bike out of transition is a bit smoother.

nc452010 wrote:
And if you don't give a flip about their images?????

Why don't someone tell us EXACTLY what the (WTC and USAT) rules say about body markings. I stopped doing it. I'm pretty sure I can write my number on my swim cap and meet the requirements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And what percentage of total triathlons do IM brand triathlons actually represent? I have never done an IM so my example wasn't for such an event...local tris aren't taking pictures of triathletes for this purpose nor are they handing out bracelets with numbers. I'm not advocating for body marking just saying how it is used at least in North Texas
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet they give me mine with no markings on me.

What does the rule say (specifically) about body markings?
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you were unable to read my full post about local races using race numbered or transition bracelets with numbers? Using body marking as a security device for bike check out is the least secure method because anyone can body mark them self with the number of a bike they want.
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [str8himalaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely don't want them marking the area covered by sleeves if you have a white or light colored jersey. I have a white sleeved tri jersey and the ink from the marking stained the sleeves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm I think I responded to the bracelet too so you need to read my post again.. never had a local race use them, but, regardless, I'm not trying to pick a fight here
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 18, 16 9:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
str8himalaya wrote:
Good deal, I'll make sure to have them mark the forearms if they insist on the body markings.

LPT - if they use the temporary tattoos, shave your forearms first. Otherwise, those things are a serious pain to get off.
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:

Why don't someone tell us EXACTLY what the (WTC and USAT) rules say about body markings. I stopped doing it. I'm pretty sure I can write my number on my swim cap and meet the requirements.

For adults, USAT does not have any rule mentioning body marking. For triathlons designated as a youth event, it is required... "Race numbers must be displayed at all times. Swimmers must be clearly body-marked, cyclists must display their bike numbers, and runners must wear their bib numbers." https://www.teamusa.org/...titive-Rules#Article 3

WTC rules have zero mention of body marking. http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz4NSKv7I4I

Train to race. Race to win.
Last edited by: flyingirish: Oct 18, 16 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [flyingirish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK....so I display my race number on my swim cap.

My race number is displayed at all times.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, for those that don't want body marking, why not (other than not washing out of your sleeves)? Seems like such a minor thing, why not just do it?
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [mcclelland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcclelland wrote:
Just out of curiosity, for those that don't want body marking, why not (other than not washing out of your sleeves)? Seems like such a minor thing, why not just do it?

That's my approach unless I have a white upper on. After having one kit ruined, I will remove them before the race starts to avoid permanent damage. But I think we need to distinguish between two types of body marking to answer that question, your race number vs your age.

Race number markings:
1) Original purpose of markings has been replaced by chip timing.
2) Redundant to bike number, helmet number, and bib number.
3) Will permanently mark light colored tri-suits costing hundreds of dollars.
4) Evolution in gear from speedos to tri-kits to sleeved aero suits and in some cases full sleeve sun protection is creating a conflict.

Age markings:
1) People purposefully lie to deceive their competitors.
2) Calf sleeves and compression socks have eliminated area for marking. Remember when WTC tried to ban sleeves at Kona?
3) Combo of longer and more aero inseam lengths plus sleeves/socks leaves only behind the knee which smears easily.
4) Rolling starts and large age groups split into two or three waves defeat the idea of knowing where you stand ... assuming they aren't lying.
5) Age markings defeat the concept of racing to your fullest potential as opposed to only your age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devil's advocate -

If a bloke has an accident and is unconscious, might it not be quicker to get the individual's name, any info regarding quirky medical needs that person might have on file, or call their emergency contact - if you could radio in "Number 467 is down" vs trying to get the unlucky chump's timing chip physically paired up with a computerized chip reader?
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if his race number is on his swim cap, you'd have it. If he has on a wetsuit, you'd still not have it (even if he was marked).

If he's on the bike, look at his bike (or helmet). If he's running, look at his race belt.
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I've had experiences at both ends of the spectrum -- at IMMT 70.3, all my body marking came off with my wetsuit, so essentially I had no marking for the whole race. Didn't matter. On the other end, at Nationals this summer, there were no bibs... we had tattoo body marking numbers (legs and arms), and had to have them in place for bike check-in and check-out. I have to say, I found it really nice not have to mess with a race belt. I think I noticed folks in photos from Kona with numbers on their forearms, if they had a sleeved suit.

Same in most of the WTC stuff I've done - tattoo, applied to my upper arm, which was promptly covered by my LS suit. No one complained. Again, it was nice not having to bother with a race belt in T1, and by T2 I was glad of the extra seconds I spent putting it on and postponing the run.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forearms

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [flyingirish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year at IM Boulder, I wore a full wetsuit for the swim and a sleeved trikit (with forearm sleeves) on the bike and run. The volunteer at body marking asked if I was wearing the same trikit/sleeves all day. I told him yes, and he marked my calf with my age and sent me on my way.

There are typically so may other ways to identify a competitor (swim cap, helmet sticker, bike sticker, run bib, etc.) that body marking is not really necessary. I'm sure it's easier for race officials / others to quickly identify body markings since they tend to be much larger, but that's about the only reason I can see for "needing" them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came out of kona this year with very harsh sunburns on my forearms because sunscreen was explicitly forbidden on the grounds that the race number tattoos don't stick on well.

Every other race with these tattoos (including WTC) has just provided them in the registration packs for us to do in our hotel. They could easily just check them race morning if it is truly important. Seeing so many race photos where the athletes don't have the numbers at all makes me very resentful of the 40 minutes wasted standing in a queue at 5.30-6.10am for them to be applied by some volunteers.
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why couldn't you put sunscreen on after getting marked at kona? I wouldn't step outside in HI (in any sunny race really) without sunscreen, screw the numbers
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Believe it or not, it was explicitly forbidden to put any on until after the swim. ...
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is not completely correct. No sunscreen before body marking and only the provided (coral-friendly) sunscreen before the swim. Due to the massive coral bleaching (visible on the race course) only coral-friendly sunscreen was allowed to use pre-swim, for which I applaud WTC. After the swim they did not care whether or what kind of sunscreen you use.

I did see a bunch of people who obviously did not attend the athlete's briefing and sprayed themselves abundantly before the swim with costco stuff. :(

HH wrote:
Believe it or not, it was explicitly forbidden to put any on until after the swim. ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You are an adult, so if you don't like the rules of co-existence and fairness and want these rules to be changed, do it the adult way.

Wouldn't have expected such childish behavior and skewed thinking.....SAD

HuffNPuff wrote:
mcclelland wrote:

That's my approach unless I have a white upper on. After having one kit ruined, I will remove them before the race starts to avoid permanent damage. But I think we need to distinguish between two types of body marking to answer that question, your race number vs your age.

Race number markings:
1) Original purpose of markings has been replaced by chip timing.
2) Redundant to bike number, helmet number, and bib number.
3) Will permanently mark light colored tri-suits costing hundreds of dollars.
4) Evolution in gear from speedos to tri-kits to sleeved aero suits and in some cases full sleeve sun protection is creating a conflict.

Age markings:
1) People purposefully lie to deceive their competitors.
2) Calf sleeves and compression socks have eliminated area for marking. Remember when WTC tried to ban sleeves at Kona?
3) Combo of longer and more aero inseam lengths plus sleeves/socks leaves only behind the knee which smears easily.
4) Rolling starts and large age groups split into two or three waves defeat the idea of knowing where you stand ... assuming they aren't lying.
5) Age markings defeat the concept of racing to your fullest potential as opposed to only your age group.
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 22, 16 20:40
Quote Reply
Re: Body markings with Sleeves? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I would only remove them if I am wearing a white top. That is very infrequent. Sorry if you think it is sad for RDs to insist that triathlete allow their expensive gear to be ruined by markers that smear. The tat markings do not smear, so they should use them if they insist on maintaining what is now nothing more than a tradition without purpose.

As to the adult way, what is that? There is no USAT rule requiring them so it's not like there is a process to have them repealed. And rational discussion hasn't worked, at least not in the U.S.

This is timely as I was in a low key long course race just for training yesterday. They provided tats for the arms and required them to bring your bike in transition. During the race I made a full change with a cycling jersey and arm coolers so the numbers had no purpose...but then again, even when visible they have no purpose.
Quote Reply

Prev Next