Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: compromise tires viable for both roads and gravel? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Our warranty specifically states that our fully built FLO 30s are for road use only, and off-road riding or cyclocross will void the warranty. I'm simply brining this up because you're using the wheels for something their not designed to do, and wanted to let you know the risk.

I've ridding my 20/24 FLO 30's for gravel racing. They are awesome. Warranty? Meh... I'll buy another set if I break em.
Quote Reply
Re: compromise tires viable for both roads and gravel? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's your size clearance?

I ride a LOT of dirt, gravel, and single track with my aluminum soloist and have a pair of 25mm GP4000s on there. Over 5000 miles on front and going super strong. I just swapped out the rear and If anything the sidewall issue I came across wasn't caused by any single track or sharp rocks but from running lower pressures (most often 60-80 psi) and the sidewall fatiguing over time. I like this set up 'cause I know it's low crr on the roads but is still crazy durable on the trails.

I'm building up a surly straggler for touring and longer dirt "road" rides and have the Schwalbe G-One set up tubeless on a pair of stans ZTR grails. Have yet to give these a spin tho.

Have fun on the road less traveled!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: compromise tires viable for both roads and gravel? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
niccolo wrote:
Canadian wrote:
niccolo wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Did you buy any wheels yet?

Yep, ended up getting Flo 30s on sale and Powertap P1 pedals with a discount. Am really happy with both so far.

Out of curiosity, did you buy our fully built wheels? Or did you buy our FLO 30 rims and do your own build?

What's your take on your fully-built wheels being used for gravel? The rims seem, if anything, overbuilt. But maybe the 20/24 spoke count could be a little higher? My guess is the wheels would do great for this purpose, and my impression is they're popular among cyclocross folks, though it would seem risky to take them into rough terrain, i.e. dirt roads seem more viable than relatively easy mountain biking terrain, which seems like a bad idea. And I suppose you might cover your butts and explicitly target them just at road users, because once someone's off road, who knows what forces they subject their wheels to? Curious to hear your take.

Our warranty specifically states that our fully built FLO 30s are for road use only, and off-road riding or cyclocross will void the warranty. I'm simply brining this up because you're using the wheels for something their not designed to do, and wanted to let you know the risk.

Appreciate the clarification, Chris, and it'll influence how I use your wheels. My guess is the rims are plenty robust but the 20/24 spoke count is optimized for road riding, not the forces that might be generated by rougher terrain.
Quote Reply

Prev Next