Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainerRoad program advice needed
Quote | Reply
Going to be starting TrainerRoad this week but I am not sure what program I should do.

A little background: Did IM Chattanooga in 2015, did a few sprints this year but not much of anything the past 4-5 months. I am going to do Ironman NC in 2017 and I want to start training in April in really good bike shape. So which program do you recommend? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad program advice needed [nocolonstlrolln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't there an iron distance base / build etc?just pick that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This time of year I always do sustained power build followed by the 40k TT specialty program... but I primarily race short course so maybe not appropriate for you.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad program advice needed [clutchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clutchy wrote:
Isn't there an iron distance base / build etc?just pick that.

Yeah I was thinking that but didn't know if that would be the right one. I am also new to TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like you have a long race but in sept of next yr.
Currently doing the low volume base plan, going my 4th week this week, 3 quality rides building to 90 mins sure is harder than I thought. 65-75% ftp. I add 1 more workout during the week, 30-45 min rides from their workout list. The mid vol base was just too much schedule wise

Their IM plans gets you race ready in the final 8 weeks before you race.

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad program advice needed [dennism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After looking at the plans I am more confused on what I should do.

I want to become a faster cyclist and improve my cycling fitness which leads me to think about starting the Sweet Spot training, but I also want to make sure I am in good Ironman shape when training starts for that. I still have well over 5 months till the official start of the training plan.

I am thinking of doing the sweet spot 1 and 2, and then after I get my fitness up start building my miles up with the ironman base plan. What do you guys think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nocolonstlrolln wrote:

I want to become a faster cyclist and improve my cycling fitness which leads me to think about starting the Sweet Spot training, but I also want to make sure I am in good Ironman shape when training starts for that. I still have well over 5 months till the official start of the training plan.

I am thinking of doing the sweet spot 1 and 2, and then after I get my fitness up start building my miles up with the ironman base plan. What do you guys think?

So you want to be in shape for an Ironman before starting training for an Ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad program advice needed [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
nocolonstlrolln wrote:

So you want to be in shape for an Ironman before starting training for an Ironman?

I just want to know what would get me in the best shape for the beginning of training. I did a 7:57 bike at Chattanooga, so I am trying to improve on that... by a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump for any advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TR recommend the SweetSpot base for most cyclists. That's the one I'll be starting tomorrow as well (although not for the first time!) It makes sense to do that one unless you know that your body responds well or badly to certain training stimulae. If that's the case, you can choose one that may suit you better based on that. The Sweetspot base has a bit of everything, which will help you to learn how your body adapts to different stresses.
After base you can switch to the sustained power build or Full IM build.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 First, here's an extensive thread with lots of information that includes some questions similar to yours. A great thing about the thread is that experts from trainerroad monitor it and frequently respond. So if you it might be a better place to ask since they probably have that thread marked for watching and won't necessarily notice this one.

So your question -- as I interpret it -- is what base and builds should you do before you get to the IM specific phase? The first thing you need to do is be brutally honest with yourself about two related questions: 1) how many hours can you devote to TR sessions?; and 2) how long of indoor sessions can you stand? For the various TR programs look carefully at hours per week and the length of the individual sessions and make an honest assessment. Don't hesitate to go with Low Volume, for example, if that's realistic for you. In my view, you're better off fully completing the Low Volume programs than only partially completing the higher ones.

Okay so what programs to do? You say you want to start specific training for IMNC in April. IMNC 2017 will be October 21, so that's,what, about 28 weeks or so of specific IM training. It's not clear if your plan is to use TR after April, but your question is really focused on what to do before April. There's about 26 weeks between now and April. The answer ii my view is to hyper-focus on base building. Most of us (I certainly do) undervalue the important of building a base.

So, again being brutally honest about volume, start with Sweet Spot I. Then do Sweet Spot II. That's 12 weeks. Then do the Full Distance Base. That's another 12 weeks. That's gets you real close to April, but if you're not quite there then you can repeat a couple of the Full Distance Base weeks.

If you do that religiously, you'll be in great shape come April -- even if you do the Low Volume programs. From that base you can start doing the kind of build work you need -- like the long rides outside in aero -- to get you to IMNC.

Just 2 cents from a middle of the packers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in offseason mode right now and am doing the low volume base. Will be doing Sweet Spot Base I & II, then starting IM base, build, race-specific. I have IM LP in July.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad program advice needed [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
First, here's an extensive thread with lots of information that includes some questions similar to yours. A great thing about the thread is that experts from trainerroad monitor it and frequently respond. So if you it might be a better place to ask since they probably have that thread marked for watching and won't necessarily notice this one.

So your question -- as I interpret it -- is what base and builds should you do before you get to the IM specific phase? The first thing you need to do is be brutally honest with yourself about two related questions: 1) how many hours can you devote to TR sessions?; and 2) how long of indoor sessions can you stand? For the various TR programs look carefully at hours per week and the length of the individual sessions and make an honest assessment. Don't hesitate to go with Low Volume, for example, if that's realistic for you. In my view, you're better off fully completing the Low Volume programs than only partially completing the higher ones.

Okay so what programs to do? You say you want to start specific training for IMNC in April. IMNC 2017 will be October 21, so that's,what, about 28 weeks or so of specific IM training. It's not clear if your plan is to use TR after April, but your question is really focused on what to do before April. There's about 26 weeks between now and April. The answer ii my view is to hyper-focus on base building. Most of us (I certainly do) undervalue the important of building a base.

So, again being brutally honest about volume, start with Sweet Spot I. Then do Sweet Spot II. That's 12 weeks. Then do the Full Distance Base. That's another 12 weeks. That's gets you real close to April, but if you're not quite there then you can repeat a couple of the Full Distance Base weeks.

If you do that religiously, you'll be in great shape come April -- even if you do the Low Volume programs. From that base you can start doing the kind of build work you need -- like the long rides outside in aero -- to get you to IMNC.

Just 2 cents from a middle of the packers.

Exactly what I was thinking and looking for. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nocolonstlrolln wrote:
walie wrote:
nocolonstlrolln wrote:

I just want to know what would get me in the best shape for the beginning of training. I did a 7:57 bike at Chattanooga, so I am trying to improve on that... by a lot.

You have a lot of time to improve your fitness. Right now I'd focus on pushing your 1 hour power as high as possible. You could do Sweet Spots Base 2, then Sustained Power Build, followed by the 40k TT plan. This would give you some good time in the saddle so you're ready to to hop into IM training, and also let you really improve your cycling fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a peek at this video of ours to help you decide which tri plan is best for you:

That 'trainer road.com' thread should also come in handy. :)

Happy Training!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply