Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 days off, all kids sick here as well as Dan, and all spending all day in bed. So trying not to tempt fate and stay cool, got in today and doing the 1800 a day program til everyone is done being sick!!

3x(300@4;30/200IM kick@4;30/100IM broken at 50)

4;10/3;58p/3;57p---3;53/3;46/3;43---39/39--37/39---36/37(extra 30 seconds on last one)
50SD
1850SCY
Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ughhh that sucks. I went through that cold that never seems to end. Had a secondary infection, too - blowing snot out with streaks of blood and a throbbing hangover-like headache. All over, though and trained through it anyway. I would stop if it got into my lungs, but I got lucky in that respect.

Last night was the Endurance House Tuesday Night Pizza Run. 3.5 miles around the lake, in the dark, no light, half on a dirt pathway and I knocked it out in 25:57. I don't know where he gets his pizza, but it was fantastic stuff. He also had some beer, but I opted to just stick with water.

No ocean swimming due to bacteria count after rains. So into the pool again this morning and I felt compelled to try that 3000 for time after seeing you guys do it. Well from a cold start, I barely broke 40 with a 39:59. Then 500 of cooling down with backstroke, breaststroke and some kicking.

Gonna ride a bit at lunch, then back everything down as I have my 25k trail race on Saturday - WhoosIn El Moro.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great swim Steve, that Is just about exactly what I did last time I did it, but would be ecstatic to get within 3 or 4 minutes of it now. That will put you on the podium of the 60+ too!!

SO my wife woke up with the plague this morning, man I'm skating on thin ice around here, just got the last bit of that lung thing out of me(12 days of antibiotics) and had a nice runway ahead of me. Now to not get derailed!!

Pizza run sounds fun, gotta get that back on the schedule too.
Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 mi bike to campus, 9.3 mi run w/ 2 mi + 4 mi @ 8:00 mi (I wanted to just spend time running at a single pace), 1800 yd swim. Couldn't really decide what I wanted to do in the pool

10 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
3 x 200 on 3:00 desc 2:43, 2:38, 2:33
150 c/d middle 50 kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who thought playing racquetball for the first time in 15+ years could make you so sore...

500 swim
100 kick
30x100 on 1:25
100 kick
300 ez pull

4000scy in 57:25

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [bantjh2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who loves racquetball and has made me play before - same experience! totally sore.
5 mi run fartlek,
2900 yd swim

500 swim
100 kick
4 x 100 on 1:30
100 kick
400 swim
100 kick
3 x 100 on 2:00 (1:14, 1:13, 1:13)
300 swim
100 kick
3 x 100 on 2:00 (1:14, 1:13, 1:12)
200 swim
100 back c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now Paul Thomas calls me and says he is deathly ill after being up here for the past week, Noooooo!

Took yesterday off as a precaution, and planned a easy one today, kind of got caught up and did a little more than planned;

200s@3;00(2;51) 200IM kick- 3;56
2000pull- (by 500's--6;51/6;40/6;35/6;35) 26;31
200kick
50SD
2650SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10.6 mi easy run, 800 yard easy swim. Have headache that swimming was making worse.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did nothing yesterday.
I swam at Shaw's Cove this AM, in the dark with bioluminescent plankton/algae (whatever it is) floating about. Awesome special effects! Took it easy as I have my big bad 25k trail race tomorrow. Got in 2566 yards in 36:51 wearing my T1 wetsuit top as the water is around 63 degrees. Not easy to swim casual in that temp and stay reasonably warm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Guy waiting for his shins to heal. Started increasing my swimming to either 1800 or 2300yds in straight blocks--just get in and go. Doing that 4 times a week (up from 1x weekly as cross training for running). I am averaging about 1:32--1:36/100 for these lunch time swims.

My wife and I are looking at a 70.3 later in 2017, after a few shorter ones earlier in the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seem to have fallen into an every other day routine right now. Drove down the mountain and did a solo, boring set. Dan still sick, he is always the one to do something crazy;

15x200(5s@3;00/5p@2;50/5IM kick@4;00)
2;47/47/47/48/46---2;36/36/36/34/32---3;52/50/46/42/40 straight through 48;50 for 3k
50SD
3050SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some time ago, I bought Emilio's tequila. A sip now and then, I'm pretty sure, is killing germs and virus.
I didn't swim today. Instead, I raced a tough 25k trail race. 15.5 miles and 2400 feet of climbing in 2:41. I'm pretty sure I won my age group – they only award top 3 overall. My legs are toast!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well done!

12 mi bike yesterday

today 12 mi bike + 7.5 mi run + 800 yd swim

Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks TC. You would have killed it, I'm sure. Just one minute ahead of me was a friend, Kristina, 30-39 ag, who was 4th AG and 5th OA female. I almost caught her, but the final downhill mile (9 to 18% grade) got to me - couldn't go fast on it).

Recovery swim today at Shaw's. I forgot it was costume day and so Lynn loaned me a women's suit.
It was cold 59-60 degrees, so I wore full wetsuit. Still most went skin... and they shivered for a good long time afterwards!
2947 yards in 36 and a half minutes.

Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [freightrain121] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to our little school of fish.

Today was a pool swim for me:
3300 yards in about 53 minutes

500 w/u
1000 IM kick w/fins
15x100@1:20 holding 1:11-1:16 most were 1:14
300 cool

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11 mi run, 800 yd swim - short as had to get out and get halloween makeup on!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1000 (100 swim/25 kick)
3x (200 swim on 2:40 + 1000 pull w/paddles on 13:00 + 100 kick on 2:20)
300 (50 back/100 free) cool down

5200scy

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [bantjh2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that set you did the 3x(200 swim on 2:40 + 1000 pull w/paddles on 13:00 + 100 kick on 2:20) . Cant do it of course right now, maybe one round, but it would be something to work towards. What did you hold on the 1000's?

Jumped in for the halloween day swim, all alone in a 10 lane pool. Didn't feel great so another boring set.

6x300@ 4;30 odds swim(4;19/4;16/4;18, evens pull- 4;09/3;56/3;54)
4x100IM kick@2;00--1;56 to 1;51
50SD
2250SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I like that set you did the 3x(200 swim on 2:40 + 1000 pull w/paddles on 13:00 + 100 kick on 2:20) . Cant do it of course right now, maybe one round, but it would be something to work towards. What did you hold on the 1000's?

Hey Monty,

The goal was to descend the 200s and 1000s, but wasn't happening from a solid 18 mile run Sunday.
2:34-1244, 2:30-12:39, 2:29-12:49.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, hardly seems like you had enough time to put on the paddles and buoy! I might give that a go with just a few seconds more rest in the near future, or maybe pull the whole thing so I don't have to transition!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
500 swim
500 pull breathe 3/5 by 50s
3x100 drill on 1:40
4x (50 kick on 75 + 3x150 on 2:05) went a little faster each round
300 pull cool down

3600scy

Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, a few day's after Oct 31st, but when I entered today's swim, I surpassed one million meters of swimming for the year. The journey has been really cool. I never thought that anyone would ever "compliment" me on my swimming but just in the last month, I've had a few people stop me after a set and asked me to help them with their butterfly stroke, or with this streamline while kicking on the side because they saw me "doing it so well" (which is a bit of a stretch, but when I go to any pool in the world these days, I don't feel like an uncoordinated flailing triathlete, but rather like an actual swimming doing all strokes and all types of sets).

Anyway, I still have a lot of work to do, but 1 million meters later, it's coming together. It's basically been 10 months of swimming every day, some days twice a day, but I still feel I would need 1.5 more years of this to get proficient. I can see how and why people who swim 500-800 hours per day all through their teenage life have a massive leg up on the rest of us adult onset swimmers. If and when I am able to run again, I will treat running like I used to treat swimming (as my nice to do/optional workout) and I will treat swimming like I used to treat running, (as my must do, "A" workout for every day).
Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is fantastic! Congratulations!

Quote Reply
Re: October fishes; Trick or Treat, Catch some fast feet!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go Dev! That's a LOT of swimming!

Nov 1
1000s 12:57
1000 reverse IM KWF
10x50@1:00 :33~:31
100 cool

3.3 miles running with 7x1:00 hard efforts - got as low as 5:18 pace. All that this old body can do.
Nov 2

Shaw's Cove - 2920 yards in 42 minutes - Water got warmer - 64. Calm seas 3-4 foot swells
13 mile bike ride through Coto de Caza - kinda easy in 49 minutes
Nov 3
Another Shaw's swim of 3293 yards in 40:28
Nov 4
Shaw's again! flat and clear and very dark at 6:00 AM. 3500 in 45 minutes

Quote Reply

Prev Next