Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ohio State DC hits cyclist
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Greg Schiano (defensive coordinator for Ohio State football) ran a red light and hit a cyclist. Fined $152 because he wasn't drunk, didn't mean to do it and felt bad. Total BS based on the fact he could have killed the guy. I guess Urban Meyer will keep him on staff since he let guys like Aaron Hernandez hang around at Florida.

Seriously, hitting a cyclist whether intended or not should carry a heavy punishment.....I hate hearing stories like this!!!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/...clist-160113402.html
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunate to hear about this. I wonder if his high profile in the area helped him get off easy, as it probably would where I live. Pretty awful either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comparing to Aaron Hernandez?? Really?? Should Urban Meyer have seen the murders coming and let Hernandez go?
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [Troy B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Urban should be fired now!! Get him out of there and let him go anywhere else but OSU!

But this is coming from a UM fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know. I can think of twice over my life that I accidentally ran a red light in a car, and could easily have killed someone (but I got lucky) . People make mistakes.

This guy didn't leave the scene. He did everything right. I reserve my Internet outrage for hit-and-run drivers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is why insurance companies exist, to assume the responsibility of financial risk in the event that an accident occurs. I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery and a good lawyer to milk everything he can from the drivers greedy, corrupt insurance company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Columbus and commute to OSU by bike. I think Schiano was charged and fined the same anyone else would be charged for the same offense, unless there was evidence that he was on his phone at the time and that wasn't included in the citation. This is a national news story, so he's receiving much more negative publicity than you or I would if we did the same thing. He will also likely be sued by the cyclist, who from what I've read, suffered facial injuries.

I was relieved that the cyclist wasn't at fault in this high-profile crash, because when the crash was first reported in Columbus, most commenters assumed the cyclist was at fault. It was hard hearing that from one of my co-workers talking about it in the hall outside my office.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 30, 16 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I ran a red light on the way to a group ride last week. I had to pull over I was freaking out so much. I've been hit by a motorist running a red light, so it bothers me especially on my way to ride my bike. I try to pay attention obviously. I wasn't texting or playing with the radio. My brain skipped and it happened. Accidents are accidents. I don't hold anything against the girl that hit me (in the sense that I don't think she's a criminal)....she didn't mean to. She had to face up to her responsibilities, and that was that.

We should all try to be perfect drivers. But a mistake doesn't make someone a murderer or attempted murderer. Blatant disregard and fleeing the scene are different. If we were all perfect, there'd be no wrecks and I'm sure most everyone has been in an accident.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Sounds like Greg Schiano (defensive coordinator for Ohio State football) ran a red light and hit a cyclist. Fined $152 because he wasn't drunk, didn't mean to do it and felt bad. Total BS based on the fact he could have killed the guy. I guess Urban Meyer will keep him on staff since he let guys like Aaron Hernandez hang around at Florida.

Seriously, hitting a cyclist whether intended or not should carry a heavy punishment.....I hate hearing stories like this!!!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/...clist-160113402.html

What would the fine/punishment be for running a red and hitting a car?
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think ____ was charged and fined the same anyone else would be charged for the same offense,
---

This, I think, is the main issue here. I have no idea who this guy is, nor do I care. The laws and consequences for hitting people need to be changed and the consequences of vehicular battery need to be a bit harsher. Until then, there's nothing to see here.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's be clear here though, this is Ohio State football we're talking about. He could have been texting while drunk, ran a red light, jumped the curb and hit pedestrians, swerved back onto the road and ran over an entire paceline killing them all and he'd still only get fined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I don't know. I can think of twice over my life that I accidentally ran a red light in a car, and could easily have killed someone (but I got lucky) . People make mistakes.

This guy didn't leave the scene. He did everything right. I reserve my Internet outrage for hit-and-run drivers.

I agree. It doesn't indicate he was speeding or texting or drunk. People make mistakes. He didn't leave, called 911. I've accidentally ran red lights, stop signs, etc. Not frequently but it's happened a couple times. People make mistakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [CrankyNeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that happened, I'd join in the outrage. Not so much in the case of the actual story.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrankyNeck wrote:
Let's be clear here though, this is Ohio State football we're talking about. He could have been texting while drunk, ran a red light, jumped the curb and hit pedestrians, swerved back onto the road and ran over an entire paceline killing them all and he'd still only get fined.
Came here to say something like that.

Football Man? Traffic infraction? No one died? No consequences. He'd need to do something far worse than hitting a cyclist to suffer consequences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I'm right there with you.
I've made mistakes on my bike that either put me at risk, or put me at risk of making people hate us. Normally, I'd give the guy some acknowledgement that it was indeed an accident and that's what insurance will handle.

That being said, he's from OSU. Throw the book at him. NCAA restrictions to the max. Take away half their scholarships. And ban them from postseason play for a decade. Oh, and also make it federal law that they can no longer refer to themselves as "The" Ohio State University.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aj``` wrote:
"The" Ohio State University.

Dammit, I was going to troll you by pulling out the OSU nuclear option for trolling, but you cut me off at the pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JT_Dennen wrote:
Urban should be fired now!! Get him out of there and let him go anywhere else but OSU!

But this is coming from a UM fan.
Agreed. He should be fired. And forced to return to the SEC. Perhaps there is a school that has an opening. One that has an entire state's recruiting base on lock down. One with fantastic food. Urban Meyer will be the new HC at LSU!

Please?
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aj``` wrote:
. Oh, and also make it federal law that they can no longer refer to themselves as "The" Ohio State University.

This.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

And that's for a coach. A star player wouldn't get the fine...

Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

And that's for a coach. A star player wouldn't get the fine...

i know for a fact joey bosa was in the paddy wagon(crying) following destruction of property and let go without even a ticket. actually, he may have even been driven home.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [Crispy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crispy wrote:
That is why insurance companies exist, to assume the responsibility of financial risk in the event that an accident occurs. I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery and a good lawyer to milk everything he can from the drivers greedy, corrupt insurance company.

Let me guess. Bernie voter am I right?

This is precisely why insurance companies exist. To protect us from financial calamity if we have an accident and actually hit someone or something. Every time one of things happens, every one of us who drives AND cycles needs to say "there but for the grace of God..."

And the cyclist will likely get more than compensated for his injuries. Which is what tort law does. I am sure the DC has pretty high policy limits. Which is the most he will be able to get from that "greedy, corrupt insurance company."

But it really is more fun to hang people on slowtwitch than to consider what the real world is like. But dude, you really take the cake.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I live in Columbus and commute to OSU by bike. I think Schiano was charged and fined the same anyone else would be charged for the same offense, unless there was evidence that he was on his phone at the time and that wasn't included in the citation. This is a national news story, so he's receiving much more negative publicity than you or I would if we did the same thing. He will also likely be sued by the cyclist, who from what I've read, suffered facial injuries.

I was relieved that the cyclist wasn't at fault in this high-profile crash, because when the crash was first reported in Columbus, most commenters assumed the cyclist was at fault. It was hard hearing that from one of my co-workers talking about it in the hall outside my office.

Mark:
How do you get from New Albany to OSU?
I cannot figure out a safe route.
Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio State DC hits cyclist [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM.
Quote Reply