Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq Setup with Edge 500
Quote | Reply
I just got a new Red22 Quarq and I'm wondering how to set it up with my Edge 500. I have the newer Garmin speed sensor (the one that wraps around the wheel hub) and I'm going to use the cadence sensor that's built into the quarq.

In my setting page I have the following options:

Spd/Cad Sensor
Spd. Sensor
Cad. Sensor
Spd. and Cad. Sensor

Which one do I choose?

Also, when I turn on my Edge 500, do I have to pedal a few times for the quarq to "wake-up" and then stop pedaling to allow it to calibrate/zero-offset? How long should that process take?
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Setup with Edge 500 [reconstyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the garmin speed sensor choose spd. sensor.

Pair the quarq under power and it should get the cadence data automatically.

The quarq turns off to save power after a period of inactivity. pedaling will wake it up. You can zero the quarq by back pedaling 5 times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Edge 500 and a quarq. You don't need the speed sensor unless you are biking on a trainer. It uses gps for your speed it works fine. I had the speed sensor and took it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Quarq doesn't have to be under power to pair with the Garmin, it just has to be awake. So either spin it backwards a few turns or normal direction a few times. Calibration depends on the Garmin firmware version. The latest versions can be set to prompt you for calibration as soon as the Garmin finds the Quarq. The DS crankarm should be spun to point to 6 o'clock during calibration.

If you are having trouble getting the Garmin to calibrate the Quarq note that sometimes Garmin computers won't calibrate if set to use a HRM and the HRM is not present and active!
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Setup with Edge 500 [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:

The quarq turns off to save power after a period of inactivity. pedaling will wake it up. You can zero the quarq by back pedaling 5 times.

Ok cool, that works, thanks! Is the pedal backwards method as accurate as doing it via the headunit?
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Setup with Edge 500 [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
I have an Edge 500 and a quarq. You don't need the speed sensor unless you are biking on a trainer. It uses gps for your speed it works fine. I had the speed sensor and took it off.

You know, I tired going without a speed sensor and it's just not as accurate I've found. And sometimes the GPS signal will be weak or non-existent where I ride, so I think I will just stick with the actual sensor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reconstyle wrote:
j.shanney wrote:

Ok cool, that works, thanks! Is the pedal backwards method as accurate as doing it via the headunit?

Zeroing through the head unit is more accurate than backwards pedaling since the latter process needs to make an assumption about the chain/bearing drag. That said, if your drivetrain is in reasonably well-maintained condition, it's close enough for most power meter uses on the road.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reconstyle wrote:
danstu4 wrote:

You know, I tired going without a speed sensor and it's just not as accurate I've found. And sometimes the GPS signal will be weak or non-existent where I ride, so I think I will just stick with the actual sensor.

Yep, for most of my routes I am out in the open or random tree cover, but I do on occasion use a rails to trails path that has long heavy section of tree cover. When go from open to tree canopy I can watch the speed change by quite a bit when I was using GPS. Sure what is recorded in the legs is far more important where training is concerned, but it still bugs me to be moving fast the head unit report something like 12 mph. Soon as I pop out of the tree cover it immediately jumps back up. I have a speed sensor to use with the Quarq just to keep that weird part of me happier.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Setup with Edge 500 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
The Quarq doesn't have to be under power to pair with the Garmin, it just has to be awake. So either spin it backwards a few turns or normal direction a few times. Calibration depends on the Garmin firmware version. The latest versions can be set to prompt you for calibration as soon as the Garmin finds the Quarq. The DS crankarm should be spun to point to 6 o'clock during calibration.

If you are having trouble getting the Garmin to calibrate the Quarq note that sometimes Garmin computers won't calibrate if set to use a HRM and the HRM is not present and active!

Well, that explains that! I have not worn a HR monitor all season! Lol
Quote Reply