Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice: What 28+ tubeless tire are you running?
Quote | Reply
Building up a surly straggler and have a set of Stans ZTR Grails that i'm looking to run tubeless. I figure once i've got the rim tape and valve stem in there I can swap out the tires as needed so not necessarily wedded to one set of tires. Options are nice!

Mostly will use it for commuting and some future touring ideas and the occasional spin around town.

Usual surface mix is dirt, gravel, single track and (%-wise, mostly) road. For reference i ride a bit of loose-over-hard single track and dirt on my S1 with 25mm conti 4000sGP's.

ETA: straggler will accept up to 40-42 tires. Currently liking the vittoria corsa speed tlr and schwalbe pro one but that's due to my myopic lust of low rolling resistance and both of these might have durability issues(?).

Thanks!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: MarkyV: Sep 29, 16 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Advice: What 28+ tubeless tire are you running? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Compass tires perhaps .....

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have pair of specialized roubaix tubeless tires on a set of easton hoops. i like them. rylie likes that she doesn't have to change a tube.
i would've mentioned the schwalbes.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Litespeed specs these on the T5g I just bought:

http://clementcycling.com/xplor-mso

I haven't even gotten to ride it yet so I can't speak to ride quality. But they're mounted to the Grail wheels, so it seems like what you're looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are fantastic and a good deal:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/schwalbe-s-one-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod143771

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was successful with Schwalbe Pro One 28C on a Stan's ZTR Grail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/roubaix-pro-2br/106139

I've been running these all year for mixed media rides, plus a couple of 100 mile gravel events. They measure closer to 34mm on wider tubeless rims. Rolling resistance is pretty good, durability is excellent, price is nice. Don't over inflate them! I run 35-45psi for dirt, a bit more for mostly road rides. Never more than 50 front, 60 rear (I weigh 175).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro One is a great 28 and has proven to be pretty durable. WTB's new Riddler 37 looks pretty good for when roads (or lack thereof) warrant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm loving the Maxxis re-fuse in 32 for easy gravel/rain/some road. They are also available in 40 if you want to go that large. I am using the WTB cross boss for singletrack/rougher gravel/dry cross.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't see much use in going smaller than 28mm with that kind of tire clearance, myself.

On the narrower side of the range, I've only heard good things about the 28mm Schwalbe Pro One and the 30mm S-One (think this one has been renamed G-One Speed for 2017). I can also personally vouch for the Hutchinson Sector in the 28mm size, but you have the clearance to use the newer 32mm version.

On the bigger side of things,, I'm currently running a set of Compass Bon Jon Pass (extralight casing option) as the road wheels for my CX bike. They were a bit of a pain to set on WTB KOM i21 rims with a floor pump, but have been totally solid since. They're a bit spendy, especially in the lighter casing.

Since it doesn't sound like your off-road riding would ever give you a mud problem, I'd go as wide as possible for tires with tread. I hear the Maxxis Ramblers are nice, but haven't ridden with the. On the cheaper side, while not listed as tubeless compatible, I've had good luck with the Panaracer Comet Hardpack in 700x38 (measures just over 40mm on my Iron Cross rims). Plus, hard to beat getting them for $30ish each (avoid the cheaper ones with the non-folding bead).

If there's a single thing to take away here, it's that there isn't a single or even small set of big tires like for narrow tri/road racing tires. This is going to depend a lot more on not just what you ride, but how you ride it and what pressure you're running. If it was me, I'd take the Bon Jon Pass for the kind of riding you're talking about, just remember to corner slow when it's loose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clement xplor mso 700 - 32, 36 or 40

I run the 40's

the 40's do not have low rolling resistance...........

for going fast downhill - not so good (which I know is shocking) but in every other respect i quite like them
Quote Reply