Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp
Quote | Reply
The end of the year is quickly approaching and I'm planning for the January swim focused camp in The Woodlands, Texas. The dates will January 3rd - January 20th. If there are any pros that would like to attend, please feel free to contact me. I limit attendance to about 10-12 athletes so we can focus on improving the swim.

The details of the camp are we will swim twice a day on most days and the goal is to give the professional triathlete that doesn't come from a swim background an idea of what it will take to make the front pack. For the pro in the front, we can make you faster on less training. We will also do weekly video stroke analysis. This year I'm bringing in other professionals (S&C coaches, outstanding coaches outside of triathlon, marketing gurus) to put on round table discussions with the athletes. We'll hold a mini practice swim meet to continue to learn how to race in swimming.

The camp should be a great time with a lot of other motivated professionals looking to improve in the water. This year I'll open it up to a couple age groupers each week that are looking to get better and if there are any coaches that want to learn on-deck, please let me know.

Tim Floyd
Magnolia Masters

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having just read the LS thread, you might extend him a personal invite. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worked with Lionel for a brief period of time last year.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Cool, then you can certainly answer a question I have about his abilities in the pool. What pace can he hold for about 20X100 SCY on the lest say 1;20 base? If you swam meters with him you know how to adjust sendoffs and pace of course. I know what a lot of the pros can do in the pool and it is interesting to me to see how it translates to the OW in their races.

I have a feeling he is a lot like Jordan in that he can hold a tremendous pace in a set like this, but cannot translate it to the actual race for the lead group. Think others might be interested too.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Cool, then you can certainly answer a question I have about his abilities in the pool. What pace can he hold for about 20X100 SCY on the lest say 1;20 base? If you swam meters with him you know how to adjust sendoffs and pace of course. I know what a lot of the pros can do in the pool and it is interesting to me to see how it translates to the OW in their races.

I have a feeling he is a lot like Jordan in that he can hold a tremendous pace in a set like this, but cannot translate it to the actual race for the lead group. Think others might be interested too.

I have made comments about this in numerous threads over the years. At a certain point, it simply doesn't matter what pace you hold in the pool. Fwiw, one of my regular swim partners is Maik Twelsiak who is the best open water swimmer in the sport compared to his pool swim times. When Sebi was is in town he actually dis-invited Maik to swim a couple of occasions opting instead for myself. I am also a very good open water swimmer compared to the pool, but I am a better pool swimmer than Maik, yet Maik is a better open water swimmer by far.

Having swam with so many professionals, it amazes how fast some pool swimmers are yet they are far far behind on race day.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having swam with so many professionals, it amazes how fast some pool swimmers are yet they are far far behind on race day. //

I have the same experiences, going back to 1974. The reason I ask this question is because it can tell a coach and athlete immediately what is the real problem. With Jordan it is not secret that it all hinges on his top end speed for 100 to 300. A lot of people think those that don't make the lead or even 2nd group just need to swim more, but often that is the exact opposite of what they should be doing. I would say half or more of the guys in the lead group in Hawaii could not match Jordans hour swim, yet there it is, 25+ guys out of the water ahead of him and he is 2nd/3rd group.

I was just wondering if Lionel is in that camp, or does he need to actually get more fitness in the water. Can he swim a 55 for 1X100 and then just falls apart, or does he hold sub 1;10's and can't break a minute for one?

I was probably the slowest pool guy that made the lead Kona group year after year, so count me amazed at how bad some can be once you put them in the fish pond..

Quote Reply
Re: Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Having swam with so many professionals, it amazes how fast some pool swimmers are yet they are far far behind on race day. //

I have the same experiences, going back to 1974. The reason I ask this question is because it can tell a coach and athlete immediately what is the real problem. With Jordan it is not secret that it all hinges on his top end speed for 100 to 300. A lot of people think those that don't make the lead or even 2nd group just need to swim more, but often that is the exact opposite of what they should be doing. I would say half or more of the guys in the lead group in Hawaii could not match Jordans hour swim, yet there it is, 25+ guys out of the water ahead of him and he is 2nd/3rd group.

I was just wondering if Lionel is in that camp, or does he need to actually get more fitness in the water. Can he swim a 55 for 1X100 and then just falls apart, or does he hold sub 1;10's and can't break a minute for one?

I was probably the slowest pool guy that made the lead Kona group year after year, so count me amazed at how bad some can be once you put them in the fish pond..

I think Jordan has commented publicly a bit on his blog about some anxiety when it comes to swimming. I think he seems to have his best swims when he swims on his own in clean water and then comes into the group after it has already spread out. My feeling from a few other friends that anxiety maybe holding them back some. Others just have natural chase instinct that seems to do wonders in OWS.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Having swum with so many professionals, it amazes how fast some pool swimmers are yet they are far far behind on race day.

Tim, do you do camps such as this for age groupers? There are relatively few professionals who post on this forum, so it would make more sense for this to be an AG focused camp unless posting it here and asking for pros is sort of a marketing scheme.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Having swum with so many professionals, it amazes how fast some pool swimmers are yet they are far far behind on race day.

Tim, do you do camps such as this for age groupers? There are relatively few professionals who post on this forum, so it would make more sense for this to be an AG focused camp unless posting it here and asking for pros is sort of a marketing scheme.

There are few pros who post, but there are tons who lurk. I hear it all the time from my peers, "you should probably spend less time posting on ST".

Quote Reply
Re: Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed that plenty of pros lurk. It's only when you comment that you're bound to get flak for some thing or other, unless you're one of the handful on the ST pedestal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim, sent you an inquiry through your website. Is there a better way for folks to reach you?
Quote Reply
Re: Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp [triavl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed that plenty of pros lurk. It's only when you comment that you're bound to get flak for some thing or other, unless you're one of the handful on the ST pedestal. //

Come on now, which pro exactly has not gotten some shit here from time to time? The real art is to actually think about what you are going to say before you write it, maybe even run it by someone you know and trust first. Yes there are a lot of favored pros here, but not because they are up on some pedestal, but because they have survived the baptism of fire from you all, and keep coming back for more!!

It is just like in your own circles you run in, there are people that just spout off with no filter, some that filter a little, and those that reason and think about things fully before forming and putting forth their opinions. The internet has given way to the first two because it is so easy when you are not actually facing people, but it is catching up as everyone learns that decorum should be part of any discussions online too.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnolia Masters Pro Swim Camp [triavl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goes without saying, but I'm definitely in again.
Quote Reply