Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How important is tilt in an aerobar? Who offers it? Opinion wanted, Integrated or Non integrated stem/bar
Quote | Reply
Hi ST community

My stem is first in development but next year TT bar will follow. But I am curious to know your thoughts on tilt. Who currently offers it?

To my knowledge, only Enve, Tri rig, Argon 18s E1119 has it included. Trek speed concept, zipp (I heard is from loosening,tightening of bolts),

Is there anything I am missing? I believe patents are the main reason. Specialized offered one and due to a recall never brought it back to market correct?

Would you prefer an integrated bar such as 3T Aduro, Tri rig Alpha X, others, or would you prefer a 2 piece design, Stem and aerobar? Something cleanly integrated like PRO Missile?

Any input is appreciated

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How important is tilt in an aerobar? Who offers it? Opinion wanted, Integrated or Non integrated stem/bar [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get pretty close with a fixed bar if you use the Zipp 110 extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: How important is tilt in an aerobar? Who offers it? Opinion wanted, Integrated or Non integrated stem/bar [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you mean pad and extension tilt independant of base bar tilt, then very important (to me at least). I've worked around it with my current Felt Devox bars by use of J bend extensions fitted in reverse and my Cee Gees pads are cushioned enough that I can live without tilting my arm rests. But if I bought another bar it would need to be built in.

And I'm not about to spend a thousand bucks on an aerobar and then another 240 bucks on a tilt kit, either. Cough-alpha-cough. If you position this in the right place commercially, you could end up with a killer product on your hands.

If by integrated you mean stem + bars, then adjustability is king of all. I don't care if my aerobar tests a watt faster in the tunnel on a riderless bike if I lose 5 watts because I have to compromise my position. LOW STACK option please, the long and low folk are running out of frames they can buy, so please help us out!! Just pedestal up the pads + extension mounts to cover the tall stack guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends if you can fit standard extensions then you can sort of make your own tilt. A lot of TT'ers in the UK that have found that a high hand position is fast for them just fit there extensions the wrong way round to the angle. I am surprised a few companies have started producing extensions this way. USE extensions seem to be a popular choice though I have heard alu ones are the safer option as a few guys have snapped carbon ones. Guessing the drillings aren't set-up ideally this away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tilt of the extensions will be important for some and not important for others.

We've seen significant reductions in drag on the velodrome with increase(ing)(ed) tilt that didn't hold up at yaw in the wind tunnel and we've seen obscene amounts of tilt be very, very fast for some people in the tunnel.

I think it's an awesome option to have on any integrated bar. It's not always an option that should be used.

If it were me and I had the option of buying 1 of 2 bars, even though I know tilting doesn't work for me, I'd by the bar that allows it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How important is tilt in an aerobar? Who offers it? Opinion wanted, Integrated or Non integrated stem/bar [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changing the extension to get a different angle helps. But I was referring more to angling of arm pad as a complete unit, arm pad and extension tilting together.

If you show me what ppl tend to like most in reversed set up I can get my allow supplier of extension bars to look into making some tested in that method/shape

Thanks

Joshua
Last edited by: culpritbicycles: Sep 29, 16 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done exactly what boing describes, I don't know if it is a coincidence that I'm in the UK...! Here is my setup, working around the bars I had fitting Use extensions in reverse. I had to drill new holes for cable insertion at the "wrong" end, but these are the metal ones not carbon and I'm not worried.

I have thought about shaving away some of the Cee Gees pads (they are really thick) to provide a bit of an angle, but honestly it isn't particularly uncomfortable. Could probably fashion something with angled pad spacers and fancy washers under the bolt heads, but I can't be arsed.

Would much rather it did it off the shelf!

Quote Reply
Re: How important is tilt in an aerobar? Who offers it? Opinion wanted, Integrated or Non integrated stem/bar [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76, are those the 30 degree Use Tula extensions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
culpritbicycles wrote:
If you show me what ppl tend to like most in reversed set up I can get my allow supplier of extension bars to look into making some tested in that method/shape

Joshua, not speaking for everybody but what some folk like about the use extensions is that they have standard clamping OD both ends, and standard ID for fitting shifters both ends also. The only problem is that the cable entry holes are at the "proper" shifter end, hence the drilling.

It is the ability to position the upturn curve close to the clamps that allows this much of a rise in a relatively obtuse extension angle. Another benefit I find is that at the end of the extensions the slope is gentle which makes it very comfortable for resting your hands. Use do more acutely curved extensions, eg 50 degree, so I could have achieved the same rise by fitting them conventionally, but for me the angle of the bars where you rest your hands would have been less comfortable. If that makes any sense.
Quote Reply
Re: How important is tilt in an aerobar? Who offers it? Opinion wanted, Integrated or Non integrated stem/bar [mlamz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlamz wrote:
knighty76, are those the 30 degree Use Tula extensions?

Hi mate, yes, 30 degrees fitted backwards. I prefer this to, say, 50 degrees fitted conventionally for the reasons in the post above.

Not a radical amount of rise like a proper mantis position, but it is comfortable and helps me to feel "locked in" to my position as Jim Manton puts it. You can kind of see how my hands sort of just sit on the grips, really comfortable. (Sorry Joshua if this seems a bit OT, but I do think it is relevant to the discussion).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tilt is very important to me. I won't buy a cockpit without tilt adjustment and I won't buy a super bike unless it can accommodate a cockpit with tilt adjustment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely thread for me.
I am tilting my current setup about 20 degrees, but I have to tilt my basebar as well.
I find the tilt position more comfortable. It seems to release pressure on my neck.
It also seems faster.

Looking for a better setup so I can get some upward tilt to my forearms but still fit a bottle holder and GPS unit between the extensions.
Watching the classifieds...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its really important to me. I've stopped using some of the high end aforementioned bars because of a lack of armpad/extension tilt and gone with less elegant options that allow me to dial this in. I think its something that an $800-1200 system should absolutely offer because it can make such a huge difference in feel of fit. Whether the stem is integrated or not is of lesser concern. If routing for di2 junctions and proper cable management are included then integrated is fine, but if not then its not worth it.
Quote Reply