Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone that started really late in life, I'd still say it's overrated. Dump the pull buoy and swim hard and fast before you spend lap after lap with fins. Body position matters most. If you can keep your ass up with a 2 beat you're fine. If you have buoy butt (dropped butt in water), first learn to hold the correct body position.
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Someone gets it.

alex_korr wrote:
Triathlon is more nuanced than that. For example, my bike position is a bit less aggressive than it could have been, but it sure let's me run better OFF THE BIKE. So while I am giving up 5-10 mins before T2, I am getting it back and then some once I get to running. Kicking is in the same wheelhouse IMO. Sure, if my goal is to swim a 50 second 100 I'd better get my kicking in gear. If I am planing to swim a fast 2.4mi without taxing my glutes, I'll concentrate on my stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev and others, I would love to hear your thoughts on the timing aspect of kicking. I think this is one of the reasons I "magically" get 8 seconds faster per hundred at times. But, I tend to lose it and go back to panic swimming, drowning mode. Are there any good resources on how to time and how to synchronize rhythm with kick and upper body? Besides swim volume, I think this may be the biggest limiter for me. Yes, I am a very weak swimmer, especially compared to bike/run.
-I and nearly 40 and could never dance to save my life. Please help me find my rhythm.
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Against my better judgement I'll reply. Brian, it seems your massive ego is only exceeded by your lack of reading comprehension. I stated that there were most likely OTHER areas that would be of much more benefit, and it seems many agree. First off, an adult onset swimmer will (almost) never have the flexibility in the ankles of a 12 year old girl, especially after run training. And so what if he ends up being able to kick 50 with the girls. I do kick sets, but only in warmup and mostly for learning proper body position and balance/timing. Vertical kicking and no board with fins can be helpful to some.
I have been around triathlon and swimming for many years and have seen the fads and techniques that have been later debunked. I was a swimmer through college (sure, only NAIA and D3) and then coached 4 years, so I would say my swimming knowledge may be appropriate to make some statements. The way to swim faster is to eliminate drag and improve propulsion. So, by most knowledgeable experts the propulsion from upper body vs kick is 95% to 5%, and the 5% is pretty much a stretch only obtained by the likes of Phelps, etc. So you feel it is a wise use of time to work on the 5%? Also, triathletes are NOT swimmers who swim usually a minimum of 10-16 times/week. Why use valuable swim time with endless kick sets to work on 5% possible extra propulsion, which they would not use when swimming in a triathlon as it uses way too much oxygen. I have seen these type methods spill over from swimming, and they seldom apply to triathletes. Sure, we did hypoxic training, wind sprints, 24x25 with every 4th underwater....and they have been shown to be not terribly useful for this group. (The jury is still out even for value for swimmers).

And the Usain Bolt comment is from Gerry Rodriguez, who it seems you could learn quite a bit from. Chill man, you are not the only word out there.

desert dude wrote:
Quote:
You don't train like Usain Bolt for running either

That's so far off the mark it's absurd.

Quote:
Sure, go ahead and do kick sets with the kids for now, and then wonder why you still don't swim any faster next year when you do 2.4.

I'll take that bet for $100.

You should just stop since it's obvious you nothing about training swimmers. Or wait since you've got it figured out, I've got a better idea. We bet on outcomes, say $500-$1k.

We each take 2 triathletes, you can train them your way for the swim portion and I'll train them my way which includes kicking in almost every workout. Winner takes all at the end of a specified time.

You say there are other places and for most triathletes there are lots of places to improve in the swim. Ignoring kicking is not one of them.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Sep 28, 16 22:15
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [Trentw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trentw wrote:
Dev and others, I would love to hear your thoughts on the timing aspect of kicking. I think this is one of the reasons I "magically" get 8 seconds faster per hundred at times. But, I tend to lose it and go back to panic swimming, drowning mode. Are there any good resources on how to time and how to synchronize rhythm with kick and upper body? Besides swim volume, I think this may be the biggest limiter for me. Yes, I am a very weak swimmer, especially compared to bike/run.
-I and nearly 40 and could never dance to save my life. Please help me find my rhythm.

Wow, I thought this was just me! I think it's the main reason that I find time in the pool hard work, so if you find your cure be sure to share it!
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
my opinion is, training like a swimmer or biker or runner is rarely ever the way to go for a triathlete. Even if off season, when doing swim or run focus.... the simple maintenance work in the other 2 sport make you very different from those individual sport.

As for kicking. It s great to have a strong kick... it will help in tons of situation and will make you a better swimmer. So if your a age group triathlete that swim 7-9 times a week 25 000 30 000m/week, there is absolutely room to work on your kick. But if you are the more normal age group or pro that i work with and go to the pool 2, 3 or 5 times a week....6000-12 000m/week... there is minimal place for the kick. There is way to developed very good level of swimming with triathlete without ever passing much time kicking in training. it s a simple matter of priority.

Learn to kick for position and balance and to support your stroke. That need to be done and learned. But do not waste time building ''fitness'', propulsion from kicking is meaningless in triathlon.

This post is worth 6 months of many other coaches monthly fees. That number goes upwards in the case Betelgeuse finds this thread and obliterates it with the usual nonsense.
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
jonnyo wrote:
my opinion is, training like a swimmer or biker or runner is rarely ever the way to go for a triathlete. Even if off season, when doing swim or run focus.... the simple maintenance work in the other 2 sport make you very different from those individual sport.

As for kicking. It s great to have a strong kick... it will help in tons of situation and will make you a better swimmer. So if your a age group triathlete that swim 7-9 times a week 25 000 30 000m/week, there is absolutely room to work on your kick. But if you are the more normal age group or pro that i work with and go to the pool 2, 3 or 5 times a week....6000-12 000m/week... there is minimal place for the kick. There is way to developed very good level of swimming with triathlete without ever passing much time kicking in training. it s a simple matter of priority.

Learn to kick for position and balance and to support your stroke. That need to be done and learned. But do not waste time building ''fitness'', propulsion from kicking is meaningless in triathlon.

This post is worth 6 months of many other coaches monthly fees. That number goes upwards in the case Betelgeuse finds this thread and obliterates it with the usual nonsense.

Total respect for the dude...
But I agree with the above. My w/u consists of a whopping 150yds of kicking (no kickboard) with normal sized fins. I only do this because my ankle flexibility is terrible (broke both more than once thanks to motocross).

Save the legs and learn to kick as little as possible while still going fast (OK, fast for a triathlete). Now to be fair, for the newby tri-geek some of the training might be really hard kick sets to learn the correct technique (i.e., no scissor, or "running"). Good technique has to be learned somehow, so, the dude is right. But, once you "got it" for a triathlete (non pro, anyway), it's not the best use of time to work on the kick for added propulsion - especially when many swims are wetsuit aided.

enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would consider learning kicking more a technique as opposed to kick sets. Obviously form is paramount, but kick sets, especially when done with a kick board does little for our type of swimming. One NEVER swims in the position a kick board puts a body in (at least no one I've ever seen yet). It also can put more strain on a lower back. If kicking, my thoughts are to use a snorkle, face down and work on body position and a narrow kick.
There's also a very good thread going with some excellent input by Monty and Thomas as to pool vs open water swimming, which further illustrates the difference in technique between how we race and pool swimmers. Good luck and swim more.

Now to be fair, for the newby tri-geek some of the training might be really hard kick sets to learn the correct technique (i.e., no scissor, or "running"). Good technique has to be learned somehow, so, the dude is right. But, once you "got it" for a triathlete (non pro, anyway), it's not the best use of time to work on the kick for added propulsion - especially when many swims are wetsuit aided.

manofthewoods wrote:
gregn wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

enjoy the journey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad kicker with a swim time of 1:09? That's actually fantastic.

Train the kick. You'll probably go sub 1 hour easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
There are many more places to focus on than a kick for TRIATHLETES. You are NOT a swimmer, and their events are less than 4 minutes for the most part. You don't train like Usain Bolt for running either. Here's an excellent source for info on what we should do from one of the best swim coaches for triathletes. Pay particular attention to episode number 9.

https://itunes.apple.com/...26/id1080467712?mt=2

Gary I would say there are times of the year where you train like a triathlete. At other times of year, it is worth training like a swimmer and other times training like a runner. You can't do that all year, but you can part of the year.

One point not brought is a good kick not only adds more propulsion and better streamline at no additional aerobic cost, but when you get the timing right, the feet provide a solid anchor for your upper body to work against when applying power. Difference between a baseball player, golfer or tennis pro trying to hit a ball standing on a slippery rotating swivel vs hitting with feet anchored on solid land.

This is pretty much all not true. Kicking adds minimal propulsion unless you have very large feet and kick very hard (that's why you don't see distance swimmers kick very much). Kicking has an additional aerobic cost: how could it not? Aren't you doing work? Is it free? How does kicking, which can only serve to increase your frontal area over not moving your legs, provide better streamlining? You don't need to be kicking to get a "solid anchor": see distance swimmers who do very little kicking in a race.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey Gary. I think you missed the part in my post about developing a strong anchor with your feet/fins. Ledecky, Potts, they have that and the perfect synchronization with the upper body. You can't get that without kick training....not just flutter board, but kick on side or back, on stomach, dolphin kick on front and on back. all without flutter board. Eventually you can get to a similar efficient 2 beat as good pros, but you can't get there without training to properly use the entire leg from hip to toe while timing with core. If you can get to 5 percent better times, that is still 1.5 min off a half IM swim. It takes. A lot of effort to take 1.5 min off your bike and run too.

Again, not true. You can get perfect synchronization without kick training.

Why do you think that any kind of kicking you might do in a half ironman will drop 4-5 seconds per 100m? You'd be lucky to get that much in a single 100m, after which you'd be trashed from the effort expended. Just think what Ledecky would be doing if she dropped 5% if she kicked like you suggest!

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has accused you of being a troll ;) No better way to start a fight on ST than to ask about the importance of kick.

Here's my experience as an adult onset swimmer. Last year I did a 4 month block of 5 - 6 days per week swimming. When I first started I took a GoPro to the pool and recorded myself. I noticed I had a serious scissor kick (probably looked like a breast stroke kick at times). I then focused on kick sets for a couple of weeks. Still probably not nearly as much as true swimmers. I then recorded again and it was much improved. During that time my time dropped about 5 - 7 seconds / 100. I don't think I started kicking more or harder in my normal stroke but just cleaning up my kick got my legs out of the way and minimized drag.

I'm sure the true swimmers could give more technical reasons as to why my time improved but that's what my self diagnosis was.

Scissor kicking is more often than not a symptom of a problem with your stroke that is unrelated to the kick, like crossover, poor arm position on entry, etc. Fix the problem, your swim speed increases, and as an added bonus the scissor kick goes away.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an entirely unsubstantiated opinion that kick sets will help your swim speed.
It's not directly through added propulsion, since distance swimmers kick very little.
It's not through getting better timing for the kick, since that is best trained without doing kick sets specifically.
However I do think it can improve that nebulous concept 'feel for the water' and improve your hydrodynamics, which is free speed.

Personally I don't kick in tri swims at all, except for desert dude's list - a well-timed kick can be helpful in navigating waves, negotiating buoys, etc. Never do kick sets, since I wind up in the middle of the pool kicking furiously with no forward progress, which gets discouraging.
That said, for the last two months I've been doing nothing but kick sets with short swim fins, due to broken ribs stopping play. Basically 25yd sprints, on back or on front with snorkel. It will be interesting to see if there is any improvement after getting back to normal swim training..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
There are many more places to focus on than a kick for TRIATHLETES. You are NOT a swimmer, and their events are less than 4 minutes for the most part. You don't train like Usain Bolt for running either. Here's an excellent source for info on what we should do from one of the best swim coaches for triathletes. Pay particular attention to episode number 9.

https://itunes.apple.com/...26/id1080467712?mt=2

Gary I would say there are times of the year where you train like a triathlete. At other times of year, it is worth training like a swimmer and other times training like a runner. You can't do that all year, but you can part of the year.

One point not brought is a good kick not only adds more propulsion and better streamline at no additional aerobic cost, but when you get the timing right, the feet provide a solid anchor for your upper body to work against when applying power. Difference between a baseball player, golfer or tennis pro trying to hit a ball standing on a slippery rotating swivel vs hitting with feet anchored on solid land.

This is pretty much all not true. Kicking adds minimal propulsion unless you have very large feet and kick very hard (that's why you don't see distance swimmers kick very much). Kicking has an additional aerobic cost: how could it not? Aren't you doing work? Is it free? How does kicking, which can only serve to increase your frontal area over not moving your legs, provide better streamlining? You don't need to be kicking to get a "solid anchor": see distance swimmers who do very little kicking in a race.

Kicking properly adds not aerobic load over kicking poorly. It does add some aerobic load over not kicking at all. But I have never been to a try where the people around are doing zero kicking. Some nicely timed and coordinated light 2 beat and some frantic flailing and some "kicking like crazy". But almost no one is moving around like they are doing band pull. Since no one is "not kicking at all" and thus expending SOME aerobic load kicking poorly (even light poor kicking has aerobic load), better to do light good kicking.

So I should have just written a good kick adds propulsion and better streamline at no aerobic cost over a poor kick (given that everyone in a try is doing SOME kicking). If as many people do no kicking as is claimed, it would all be nice calm laminar water behind people! It never is. As for good kicking adding streamline, as Jason points it, just keeping the feet properly plantar flexed, is what he was getting at on the swimmer threads, vs all the frontal of your feet point vertically to the bottom of the pool/lake/ocean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You make it sound like it is impossible to point your toes unless you are kicking.

Yeah, if you consider moving your feet about six inches in a two beat timing pattern to be "kicking", then nobody doesn't kick at all. Nevertheless, the point of kicking in triathlon/endurance swimming is not to add propulsion or streamlining, as you seemed to indicate in response to a thread about "Importance of kick training in triathlon", since it is not responsible for either.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose it comes down to time. Working on your kicking will make you a better swimmer and will make you a better triathlon swimmer, but the improvement in performances will be small and the amount of time you end up putting in to do kick work will be high. If I do a 1km kick set that would probably take me 25 - 30mins (I'm a slow kicker) whereas if I was doing freestyle e.g 10 x 100 on 1.20, that's just over 13mins. If you're time poor, it's not worth it. If you've got time, then yup definitely do the kick work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually don't kick at all when racing....all my swims are wetsuit legal and I swim faster if I just pull.

(And yes, I am, at best, a MOP swimmer)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Importance of kick training in triathlon [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I actually don't kick at all when racing....all my swims are wetsuit legal and I swim faster if I just pull.

(And yes, I am, at best, a MOP swimmer)

I guess I'm a fop* swimmer and also barely kick, pretty much kicking for balance only, rather than propulsion, kicking more as distance is reduced. I'd never tell anyone not to train their kick, but it's certainly not a priority

* How does one qualify as a FOP swimmer, top 10, top 20 out of 200 odd?
Quote Reply

Prev Next