Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Before voting in the 2nd most important election this fall (USAT election)
Quote | Reply
read this opposing viewpoint by a current USAT board member

Many of you are USAT members. There is an election coming up that would change how USAT operates. Among the things the BOD proposes is reducing the transparency and reducing represnetation on the board for you the athlete. I'd encourage all of you to read the opposing view point by a current board member before you vote. http://www.slowtwitch.com/...aw_Changes_6037.html

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Before voting in the 2nd most important election this fall (USAT election) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just posted the link to all the FB groups I help moderate for IM races.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Before voting in the 2nd most important election this fall (USAT election) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is this vote, and how do I vote? Read the op ed but it doesn't specify.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Before voting in the 2nd most important election this fall (USAT election) [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
When is this vote, and how do I vote? Read the op ed but it doesn't specify.

I got an email on September 16th.

You can vote now. I just did. Click the link in the email and follow the directions. Basically there is 1 page you have to vote yes or no on the proposed changes.

You have until Oct 15th to vote.
Quote Reply
Re: Before voting in the 2nd most important election this fall (USAT election) [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I found it and voted.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the results based on the actual voting or is an non vote automatically registered as yes?

I.E., is this doomed because voting will be like 17% of the members and thus default wins???

Eta: I voted no. Was surprised by how easy the process was. So that was cool. It was what 2 clicks and I had voted.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Sep 26, 16 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: Before voting in the 2nd most important election this fall (USAT election) [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only actual votes count.

The system by default is tilted toward "yes" since USAT is encouraging members to vote "yes" and doesn't provide a countervailing viewpoint.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking this might be the most important election... ;-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminder. I read through enough of it to validate what's been said on this site about the election, then clicked to register my vote. Also left comments making clear the reason for my vote.
Quote Reply
Re: Before voting in the 2nd most important election this fall (USAT election) [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, any thoughts on how to accomplish the task of voting if no email was received from USAT? And yes I am an annual member.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Before voting in the 2nd most important election this fall (USAT election) [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
So, any thoughts on how to accomplish the task of voting if no email was received from USAT? And yes I am an annual member.
for technical support (available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. CDT, excluding holidays) call 952-974-2339 or email support@directvote.net.

For other questions or to request a paper ballot please, call 719-955-6020 or email Sharon.Carns@usatriathlon.org.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And this from the AAC;

The USA Triathlon (USAT) Athlete Advisory Council (AAC) has voted unanimously to oppose the proposed bylaw changes on the current USAT ballot, which was distributed to members over the past week. The proposed changes are intended to protect the interests of the current USAT leadership, and will reduce the ability of current members to be involved in and represented by USAT. Below we outline why you should vote "NO" on the current bylaws.

1) Limit ability of members to run for board positions

The proposed changes include language that limits the ability of members to run for positions on the USAT board of directors. Currently any USAT member can run for the board of directors by collecting 50 signatures. That member is then placed on the ballot and put to the membership in their region for election. The proposed bylaws would require a prospective board member to be selected by the nominating and governance committee of USAT (NGC), which is appointed by the USAT board. This means the pool of eligible future leaders is determined by the current leaders. The NGC is required only to select two candidates for each director election. Presently, anyone with 50 signatures can run and win election if he or she has good ideas for USAT.

This nominating system will lead to cronyism. The USAT Bylaw changes are an attempt by the current leaders of USAT to protect their positions and interests and defer to the interests of the USOC. The USOC has lobbied USAT to make this change. The USOC CEO Scott Blackmun met with the USAT board on two occasions to press for this new selection procedure. It gives the USOC greater control over the future of USAT and will diminish the voice of age group members who are not part of the Olympic pipeline.

2) Reduce member representation

The proposed changes reduce regional representatives from 8 seats to 6 seats, increasing the size of each region and reducing the influence on the board of regional representatives. Regionally elected board members, or General Directors, rely on membership votes for election. Two of the 8 current seats will become "Independent Directors" who are elected directly by the NGC, further encouraging cronyism and diminishing the ability of age group members to participate in and influence USAT policy.

Additionally, because independent directors are not elected by membership, their incentives are not aligned with the greater membership.

3) Limit the ability of elite athletes to participate in USAT governance.

The new bylaws preclude anyone who achieves “elite athlete” status from running for a general director position on the USAT board of directors. This disenfranchises hundreds of athletes and removes from the pool of prospective future leaders many bright, motivated, passionate, and skilled triathletes. Many of these people have transitioned to age group triathlons and become coaches and leaders in their local triathlon communities. If this resolution passes, USAT would become the first national governing body under the USOC to limit the number of athletes who can hold positions on the board. This bylaw change would preclude a current board member from running for re-election to his current position on the board. David Kuendig, the current Mideast Region director, competed in an ITU world championship in 2012 as an elite. He has since retired from elite competition, but under the proposed bylaw changes, would not be eligible to run for reelection next year.

These changes are not in the best interest of the USAT membership, and the Athlete Advisory Committee asks that you vote against the ballot measure to amend the bylaws. Please share this with your fellow USAT members, and let your voice be heard. Vote no.
Quote Reply
Re: Before voting in the 2nd most important election this fall (USAT election) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

An interesting read on Competitor Magazine. it focuses mostly on the AAC's postion. It doesn't mention anything about the sunshine provision, though.
Quote Reply