Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Race Day - IMFL - - - Strength and Honor. [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day - IMFL - - - Strength and Honor. [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#12 in the books. I was a little disappointed in the times but now i see it wasn't an especially fast day by IMFL std's at least with swim and bike.

Swim - of 13 IM's i have done it was most difficult for a wetsuit legal. I was in great swim form expecting ~1:05 and came out 1:15ish and nauseous. Found myself along with few others way off course after the 2nd left turn coming back into shore. A guy next to me also looked up and we both said "where are we?". Found out we had drifted well into middle of course closer to outgoing buoys. Chop made it hard to spot them and i think there was a bit of diagonal current? Anyways took in water 2nd time and on 2nd lap i could feel stomach rebelling.

Bike - not feeling that well might have helped cause i held back into that first few hours. By special needs the bike seemed to really thin out and felt i reeled many in specifically on the last headwind out and back. I had a feeling many pushed the bike to hard into the wind the first half of bike and were paying since noted a few from early in bike. Didnt notice to much drafting, but most i ever seen in penalty tents means they must have been smart to focus on the first half of the bike going into the winds. Roads were simply great though, you could pretty much just put your head down and just ride.

Run - Felt great for 13 miles, felt like sub4hr was in good range, told wifey at turnaround feeling good and ready for final 6miles push. But the IM gods can be fickle and 1mile later was cratering with GI distress for next 10miles till cleared up in last few miles.

Not impressed with PCB as a whole. Food options all nearby were horribly overpriced and underwhelming. Everything was about to close for the season.

2017: IM Lake Placid or Kona

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day - IMFL - - - Strength and Honor. [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first full IM, but had done two 70.3's in the past. I rounded out the top 5 in my AG.

I seeded myself in-between in sub 1hr swimmers and the 1:05's. At the turn buoy heading back north towards shore I noticed probably half the group in font of me heading back towards the start (NW) and not to the swim exit (about straight north). Not sure where they thought they were going or if they corrected. The winds and current was not so bad it blew you off course.

Overall I didn't think the conditions were terribly bad (ocean or wind), its just how you navigate and except the conditions. Everyone has to compete in the same conditions, unless you cheat or absolutely clueless, which it sounds like this course has a lot of both.

Probably wont do this race again through. The bike route is so boring and the run course is bizarre (going through peoples neighborhoods).
Quote Reply

Prev Next