Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

diagnostics on Garmin HRM transmitters and straps
Quote | Reply
I wanted to ask the Garmin tech support what diagnostics I can run on my HRMM transmitters and straps but Garmin tech support is notoriously unhelpful.
Nothing worse than getting all set to start a workout only to have "tech failure" (all too common with Garmin stuff.... as much as I love it)

I have a piles of Garmin HRMs and an equal number of straps from over the years. Some of the HRM's are the "old" standard HR only but I also have a newer HRM-Run module and even the Swim and Tri-Swim straps. It appears pretty well accepted that the garmin premium HR straps "die" after 1-12 months of use no matter how well they are cared for. I use mine most days and after a work-out, often removed the HRM transmitter and then bring the strap into shower to rinse well and leave it hanging there to dry (out of sun). Next time I grab whatever module/strap is around unless I am going to be running and try to grab the HR-Run.

Over time, as one set-up stops working I grab the next until strap or module and now have a pile of straps and HRMs where "none" seem to be working. The problem is, I don't know for sure if it is the strap or the module? More than once I had assumed it was the battery and found it to be 3.3V. Sometimes I will replace it anyway (since I've already gone that far) and still don't know if it is working. I will try one HRM on multiple straps and one strap (the "good" one, I am thinking) with multiple modules but can't get a reliable pair.

I saw a comment that the "normal" impedance on strap electrodes is 1.5 kOhms. Except, not exactly sure where to measure that. I placed one probe in the metal (female) snap and the other on the correspond smooth, black electrode (skin side) but can't reliable measure ANY impedance.

I've tried the "cut the strap between the 2 snaps" trick which didn't do a thing (well, it did and then it didn't?)

Is there a way to use a multimeter on the transmitter to see if it is definitely working?

One other BIG concern I have is that the strap on the Tri-Swim HRM looks very similar to the Premium strap except that the HRM module is NOT removeable (same with the Pool Swim strap). I paid close to $200 for this pair of HR-swim straps. They haven't been out that long but have people been having the same issues with them? Not something that a $20 Polar strap will resolve!
Quote Reply
Re: diagnostics on Garmin HRM transmitters and straps [DrAloha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha, I feel you. Same here, I buy a pod and Polar strap, use it till it gets wonky then replace. I did have at IMCdA last week a weird situation where the Garmin Run pod stopped picking up HR when I started the run. It wasn't a situation where I was dry...there was plenty of sweat available to help the sensors pick up hr. I thought maybe the pod battery had died but when I uploaded the .fit file the run diagnostics were there, just no HR. Tried it the next day and it worked fine. Weird.

I would get the new Tri pod and use it only for races but the lack of implacability stops me. Run pod with Polar strap is the best compromise for me.
Quote Reply
Re: diagnostics on Garmin HRM transmitters and straps [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much guarantee that the pods are fine, the straps are just crap.
1.5 kohms is around the reading you will find when new. I just took a brand new one out of plastic and measured it.
Yes, you measure from the clip to the sensor pad.
If you couldn't get a reliable reading, it is definately no good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin's recommendation is to remove pod and rinse after every workout and, after every seventh workout, wash in washing machine (but do not put in dryer). My straps get a new life after a wash. You might give it a try -- sounds like you have nothing to lose. I wish Garmin would explain what is going on here. Obviously, something is building up on the strap. Is it salt? oil? something else? I feel that I could do a better job of keeping the strap working if I understood what I was dealing with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny you bring this up cuz I just came on to do some searches on reliable HR monitors. I went for a run this morning and my HR was at 205-215 bpm. New battery from Sunday, freshly washed and air dried. Very annoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the ANT+ alliance site, there is (or used to be) and app that you can download and it will dump all the ANT+ signal data out to the screen. I used it several times to debug power drop outs on my Powertap. Actually, I did use it to verify that my Garmin HRM was transmitting bad data.

Garmin straps are not known for their longevity, excluding the "hard straps" that came out with the Garmin 305. The new HRMRUN and HRMSWIM may be better as well, hopefully so as they are way more expensive.
Quote Reply