Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bad luck with flats
Quote | Reply
Have had 7 flats in last 3 century rides over the last 3 weekends. a few in the front and a few in the back.

Anyone have this run of bad luck?

prior I had gone months without a flat

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: bad luck with flats [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, i've had strings of bad luck. and then nothing for ages. with different tires and tubes. actually, now that i think of it, different bikes. i never came up with any reasonable explanation. in the end i probably mentally said something like "is that you, satan?". it was plenty frustrating, as it is to you.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Only time I have had issues with flats coming often was when it was time for new tires. I am at 4k miles for the year and have had two flats this year.
Quote Reply
Re: bad luck with flats [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Only time I have had issues with flats coming often was when it was time for new tires. I am at 4k miles for the year and have had two flats this year.

My tire have about 1500 on them, will get new before IMMD

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Have had 7 flats in last 3 century rides over the last 3 weekends. a few in the front and a few in the back.

Anyone have this run of bad luck?

prior I had gone months without a flat

Wow that's a lot more than I've ever had in that span in over 55 years of cycling. Were they all sharp object punctures or were some pinches from hitting pebbles or pot holes or a combo of the two? I have had a number of situations with 2 flats on a ride when I under pumped the tube after the first puncture flat and ended up with a pinch flat later on due to my 185lbs needing more than the quick 80psi or so to prevent them.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's queue theory. Sometimes rare, random events just bunch up. I probably average one flat per year, but they seem to come in waves.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: bad luck with flats [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like my bad luck is coming. I'm not a super experienced rider, so it's not like I have thousands of hours on the bike, but I put about 1200 outdoor miles in the past year. Wasn't tracking before that. Been riding two years and zero flats. Now that I've said that, I'll flat in my oly this weekend.

I'm pretty anal about inflating my tires to the same psi before every ride, and most of the roads I ride are very good surface. Hoping my luck keeps holding out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switch to tubulars!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely comes in waves for me and only races since I run heavy bomb proof stuff in training.....Nothing for the three years until this season then went 2/5....so far... first one really sucked. Brand new tire with 0 miles! Made it 10 miles before it was cut across the tread.... lined it with an empty gel package and got 5 more miles out of it before it blew a second time and I had to walk. Still a pretty good run though I think.
Quote Reply