Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: August Fish Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAH! None... well, Tanya might be, over a long distance... because she is a machine. She does 10-12 mile swims back to back on weekends for training. I doubt I'll be inviting Lexie. :-)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4 mi easy easy run, and about 1500 yards in a 20-yard pool. I am looking forward to the 25 yard pool being open again next week.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a fast 3 mile (5313 yards) swim this AM in 1:07. And, during it, I spotted a great white shark baby, about 4 feet long and a ray, about 2 feet across. Very cool! Then, more or less immediately followed the swim with a 13.2 mile run in, kinda slow, 2:33. It was one of those virtual races, like a Postal Swim; You run the distance, show your GPS, take a picture and they send you your medal. I met up with an old friend, Janice, and we had a lot of gossip to exchange. so went ran, walked and talked. Still quite sore from this activity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I had my A races for the season:

2.7 OWS - 1:09 (2nd AG - no wetsuits allowed for this race)
10 mile road race the next day - 1:14 (4th AG)

Both at altitude. Run was hilly but scenic. I was pretty happy with both.

Broke my clavicle and scapula a few days ago in a freak horse accident so that's it for me until...November? I spent two years getting down to a 1:10 pace for my 100's at Masters - not sure I'll ever get back there again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So... Just finished USMS National Championships in Gresham.

I just did two events:
- 1500m, 19 min 17 sec and a new long course PR by 30 secs... Good for 4th in the Nation!
- 400m, 4min 49 sec, and a new long course PR... Good for 6th.

Then... Mid week, I did the 5km ePostal (50m pool)... In a new PR of 1hr 11min. (...We are doing the 10km in two weeks.)

It has been fun to take the summer off (this year off?) from biking and running. I have ridden my bike 38 miles this year, and swum 380 miles!

The first place for the 10km OWS Nationals was the highlight.

I am planning for a 70.3 next year... But gotta start training soon.

I think I'll skip the Tiki swim. Even though my calendar is free.... It was a busy summer, and I want to enjoy the last rays here. And get some Kiteboarding in before winter.

I did the Portland Bridge swim last year. Not sure I want to suffer another kayaker through that.... I am seriously thinking the English Channel is in my future. Maybe once I get some kids to College. I met a lady last week who is doing Catalina next weekend. Serious stuff.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
Last week I had my A races for the season:

2.7 OWS - 1:09 (2nd AG - no wetsuits allowed for this race)
10 mile road race the next day - 1:14 (4th AG)

Both at altitude. Run was hilly but scenic. I was pretty happy with both.

Broke my clavicle and scapula a few days ago in a freak horse accident so that's it for me until...November? I spent two years getting down to a 1:10 pace for my 100's at Masters - not sure I'll ever get back there again.

YES YOU WILL.
Did you have to have surgery?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are some sweet swim times! Congrats!

I followed up yesterdays swim/run combo with a shorter swim today - just 3304 yards in 46 minutes. Didn't see much of anything except a 10" diameter (including legs) crab just inside the break zone at the exit beach. Scott, who paced with me yesterday, was here this AM and I asked how he felt; "Exhausted. Not good." I have to laugh because during our high intensity swim yesterday, I commented I was very near race pace and he responded with, "I've got another gear." We'll, now I know what he had was Reverse! I would do a ride or another run today, but have a lunch date with my daughter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing the orthopedist this week. It's very badly broken so will likely need surgery from what I've read. The surgery speeds recovery, though, so that's a plus. Hopefully I haven't torn any ligaments - the ER was busy trying to rule out a spinal fracture so they didn't do much beyond x-rays.

I'm trying to be strong but I'm watching all my muscles atrophy and it sucks. I haven't exercised in four days because I'm in so much pain. I refuse to take Vicodin. Might try the recumbent bike today.

I was so proud of my swimming achievements this year. Thanks for the encouragement, though. It helps!
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep us updated. I feel for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man. You will come back faster than you think. I had spinal fusion and missed 4 weeks of swimming. Came back with open turns - really nervous that I'd crack that metal thing in my back. But it didn't take long, a few weeks, to get near normal. It's just a short bit of time in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck recovering and returning to sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
I'm seeing the orthopedist this week.....was so proud of my swimming achievements this year. Thanks for the encouragement, though. It helps!
Good luck with your recovery! You know, swimming is the best was to recover from ortho stuff. Best wishes. Interesting that just two days ago someone was telling us how horse riding was more dangerous than any other sporting activity... anyway good luck getting back on the horse.

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Aug 28, 16 20:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
half marathon yesterday, 5th FOV, 2nd AG 1:41:31. My A goal was a 1:35 (I thought I was in shape to run a PR), I did NOT think I would run over 1:40 ... I ran over 1:40. I was super unhappy yesterday but am feeling a little better today.

8.4 mi easy easy run (averaged 6.4 mph)
1500 yd swim easy in the 20 yard pool because that's what I had time for
55 min teaching spin class

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1:41 ain't too shabby though. Well done...

I haven't been in the water in weeks. Itching to get back :-(

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Plan is for surgery on Friday. I'll post here when I'm back in the pool again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry you didn't achieve your goal time, TC. What do you think it was? Hills, weather, psych-out? But, that is a sweet time, I would love to have.

No swim today. Instead I ran early this AM in the dark for 5.3 miles, kinda hilly so not too quick - 46:39. At lunch, I rode... and quite hilly - 11.3 miles in 39:24 with 2400 feet of climbing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
started too fast; mile 1 6:26 and mile 3 20:21. My legs felt great (SINCE I SUFFERED THROUGH TWO DAYS OF RESTING) and then hills.

anyway, 8 mi mostly easy today except a 2 mi section starting at 7.2 mph and increasing the speed by .2 mph every quarter-mile. Then 1850 yd swim, YAY BACK IN THE SCY POOL!

5 x 100 on 1:30 w/u, extra :30 after the last one
4 x [200 fast on 3:00 + 100 easy on 2:00] 2:31, 2:28, 2:28, 2:29
150 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So... Just finished USMS National Championships in Gresham.

I just did two events:
- 1500m, 19 min 17 sec and a new long course PR by 30 secs... Good for 4th in the Nation!
- 400m, 4min 49 sec, and a new long course PR... Good for 6th.

Then... Mid week, I did the 5km ePostal (50m pool)... In a new PR of 1hr 11min. (...We are doing the 10km in two weeks.)

It has been fun to take the summer off (this year off?) from biking and running. I have ridden my bike 38 miles this year, and swum 380 miles!

The first place for the 10km OWS Nationals was the highlight.

I am planning for a 70.3 next year... But gotta start training soon.

I think I'll skip the Tiki swim. Even though my calendar is free.... It was a busy summer, and I want to enjoy the last rays here. And get some Kiteboarding in before winter.

I did the Portland Bridge swim last year. Not sure I want to suffer another kayaker through that.... I am seriously thinking the English Channel is in my future. Maybe once I get some kids to College. I met a lady last week who is doing Catalina next weekend. Serious stuff.

I missed this somehow. Congrats on the 19:17 and then 4:49. Those are great times.

What was your Bridge Swim time?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
August swim total 25,750 yards

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
What was your Bridge Swim time?

It was a wonderful 11 miles in 4hrs 9mins 35secs. Beat that. :-) Just looking at the results from back then... I see a couple of familiar faces that now show up at my swim meets and beat me. :-)

I am going back to Triathlon next year. IM70.3 St. Croix is the key race - if they would open up the registration already!!

That said, I hear that the 5km National Championship will be back in Bend at the Elk Lake / Cascade Swim Festival... AND (not quite remember this) the 2 mile (perhaps Foster Lake) will be the National Championship next year. TC and HS, stick around in Oregon during the summer for TWO National Championship opportunities.

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Aug 30, 16 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming everyday in the lake here, about 1K or so.

We have been holding TSUN club practice off the dock, which was not remarkable until a dog "Dogness" joined in.

"Hep" the dog dives off the dock and rounds the course with all the kids. Coach yells at the kids to "KICK - KICK" if the dog is closing in on them.

<https://twitter.com/...s/763962163148881920

A mix of pitbull and cane corso. She completed a timed 750M in 12 minutes. What a catch and pull!

I have no dog in this fight, and this is not my dog :). The owners probably have her tied up now as she hasn't been over.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
August swim total 25,750 yards
I forgot that August has 31 days. Another 3600 today :-)

7.6 mi run w/ 12 x 400 desc so the last two were 90 sec.
3600 yd swim

500 w/u
100 kick
2 x 300 fast on 5:00 (3:51, 3:44)
3 x 100 on 1:30
100 kick
300 fast 3:46
100 easy
300 fast 3:45
3 x 100 on 1:30
100 kick
300 fast 3:49
50 elementary backstroke
50 kick
500 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aug 30
Shaw's Cove swim in weird choppy conditions - we had waves from two directions and with different periods (of course) plus wind chop added. It made for some interesting swimming. 2370 yards in 28 minutes.
Noonish run in hot, humid conditions - 6.6 mostly trail miles in just under an hour. It sucked the life out of me.

Aug 31 (today)
Shaw's Cove (again) water is a bit warmer (69-70) and calm conditions so I went a little farther: 3576 yards in 45:42.
Then, a brick at lunch: 12.8 mikes on bike in 39:34 with 1525 feet of climbing followed by 1.6 miles running in 12:33.

Quote Reply

Prev Next