Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [tortoiseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"After careful consideration, IRONMAN North Carolina will not continue for 2017; we will put all efforts into making IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina a top-notch late season race for athletes. We appreciate the efforts and support of the city as well as our volunteers, partners, and everyone else involved in putting on the dual-event this past year and look forward to continued support for the future IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina event that will continue. We appreciate our athletes’ dedication and understand the disappointment that some will have in not being able to race a full-distance event in that location. We encourage those athletes to consider IRONMAN Maryland, IRONMAN Louisville and IRONMAN Florida."

Quote | Reply
That sucks, I did the half this year and was hoping to do the full next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tortoiseman wrote:
http://www.ironman.com/...a.aspx#ixzz4PMIfia47

IRONMAN North Carolina has been discontinued.

I didn't expect that...was really hoping for a shift to the spring. Just wow!
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In other words, our other races were not selling out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tortoiseman wrote:

I must be cursed! First Cedar Point, and now IM NC. Looks like MITI will be the one for 2017. At least registration is already open for that one. If that one gets cancelled, then I'll be convinced that I really am cursed!
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [50StateGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50StateGeek wrote:
tortoiseman wrote:

I must be cursed! First Cedar Point, and now IM NC. Looks like MITI will be the one for 2017. At least registration is already open for that one. If that one gets cancelled, then I'll be convinced that I really am cursed!

You aren't the only one. I consistently do 3 races every season: TriRock Philly, Rev3 Cedar Point, and IM NC. Only one will exist in 2017.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:

That's true, but the betting earlier in the year was that it was IMMD on the chopping block. When that didn't happen I thought IMNC would shift dates, not that they would kill outright a successful independent they had just acquired.

Just wow!
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
thisgirl wrote:

That's true, but the betting earlier in the year was that it was IMMD on the chopping block. When that didn't happen I thought IMNC would shift dates, not that they would kill outright a successful independent they had just acquired.

Just wow!

What better way to kill the competition? So pissed... guess I'll be going to Chattanooga and hopes it not a furnace. >:I
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4000 athletes at the 2016 IMNC event and it is not successful? That is more than B2B attracted. What is the chance that B2B will return to run this event?
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd bet a non compete clause was signed. I think they only wanted to kill the B2B full. They did it very efficiently.
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [Racing Yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow. i'm shocked.
this was a great race.

i can't believe it is dead.

ETA: I thought both were cancelled, but i see the half is still going to happen.
Last edited by: d00d: Nov 7, 16 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just signed up for Louisville. I was hoping IMNC full, also.

I never did one of the B2B races, but I know plenty who did. They had a VERY loyal following. I'm assuming there's a LOT of pissed people, about now.
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm at a loss. All the people PO'd about Ironman fouling up their races, who "will go look for a non-branded one now". Damn Iron Lemmings are the reason there are no more non-branded choices. Seems the alternatives for iron distance are now very expensive and hugely crowded, or inexpensive with only 100 other people. And PS, racers now get to pay extra for a crowded course half iron at Old Orchard Beach. Oh yay.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty annoyed by this. I wasn't 100% into the idea of doing another full next year, but this absofreakinlooooootely guarantees that I will and that it won't be an Ironman branded event. Who is in for the Great Floridian, Michigan Titanium, or some HITS?
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I'm at a loss. All the people PO'd about Ironman fouling up their races, who "will go look for a non-branded one now". Damn Iron Lemmings are the reason there are no more non-branded choices. Seems the alternatives for iron distance are now very expensive and hugely crowded, or inexpensive with only 100 other people. And PS, racers now get to pay extra for a crowded course half iron at Old Orchard Beach. Oh yay.

Yeah, where were all of these people the last 5 years as registrations dwindled at these races? In 2016 there were 141 finishers for a HITS full distance race spread across 6 races. There were less than 200 finishers at the Great Floridian full distance this year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM NC 2017 Dates [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

Yeah, where were all of these people the last 5 years as registrations dwindled at these races? In 2016 there were 141 finishers for a HITS full distance race spread across 6 races. There were less than 200 finishers at the Great Floridian full distance this year.

From what I see, there are only a few people PO'd about these changes, and probably many hundreds more that are just fine with them...but they don't follow Slowtwitch where people throw out insults simply because others make different choices. And don't hold your breath expecting some huge increase in the remaining independents simply because WTC killed one and a handful of people on Slowtwitch had a connipshin fit. The independent long course events are like the Canadian Football league or Arena Football. By and large, NFL fans simply do not care whether those leagues up and die.

For the record, I am registered for the HITS Oly at Naples in Jan 2017, but I don't care if HITS long course dies out (or the entire series)...which appears to be happening. I'm also registered for the 1/3 GFT Oct 2017...the 6th time I've done some form of the event. And I've been there enough to know that I don't care about doing the full GFT either...and it has zero to do with the course.
Quote Reply

Prev Next