Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Navy Olympian
Quote | Reply
I haven't posted in the main forum in awhile, mostly limiting myself to lurking, but this is on-topic.

Former teammate (back in the day at USNA) qualified to represent Guam in Rio on the mountain bike. I felt bad, but I had to point out to him that Peter Sagan is going to be among his competition.

Pretty cool. One of the few guys I've met who makes me feel like a total slacker in almost every way. Valedictorian at Navy, Johns Hopkins Medical, completed his service, and now qualified for the Olympics at almost 40 years old while running his own ophthalmology practice. Races tris and obviously mountain.

Apparently there is still hope for middle aged athletes to grab a little bit of glory.

http://www.navysports.com/...c-rel/072616aaa.html

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Last edited by: slowguy: Jul 26, 16 19:33
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Olympian [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I haven't posted in the main forum in awhile, mostly limiting myself to lurking, but this is on-topic.
Former teammate (back in the day at USNA) qualified to represent Guam in Rio on the mountain bike. I felt bad, but I had to point out to him that Peter Sagan is going to be among his competition.
Pretty cool. One of the few guys I've met who makes me feel like a total slacker in almost every way. Valedictorian at Navy, John's Hopkins Medical, completed his service, and now qualified for the Olympics at almost 40 years old while running his own ophthalmology practice. Races tris and obviously mountain.
Apparently there is still hope for middle aged athletes to grab a little bit of glory.
http://www.navysports.com/...c-rel/072616aaa.html

That's fricking amazing, he was valedictorian of the USNA Class of 1998. Obv he must have been one extremely hard-working guy to get straight As and be a 4 year letterman. Just one minor quibble with your write-up though: it's "Johns Hopkins" with no apostrophes. I got my undergrad degree there so I'm used to seeing many wrong spellings, most commonly "John Hopkins". :)

I know what you mean about feeling like a slacker though; guy I swam with not only was a 4-time D3 Champ but also qual'd for the D1 Champs in the 200 fly and finished 8th. And, he graduated from Hopkins with a 3.8 and got into Harvard Law.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Olympian [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For your sake, I hope he's not i your AG ;-)

Congratulations to anyone competing against people 1/2 their age at that level! Thanks for letting us know; I will look for him in the results of next month's giant time-suck (Olympics)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Olympian [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That's fricking amazing, he was valedictorian of the USNA Class of 1998.
It's because they stopped requiring celestial navigation.

(I'm not bitter. Much.)

Edit: in fairness they phased that class out in 1998 and now it's back as of last year I think. So he took it and got an A. Now I'm more bitter :)
Last edited by: spudone: Jul 27, 16 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Olympian [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When were you at Hopkins? I'm class of '99.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply