Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Measuring power... What computer?
Quote | Reply
I used a Joule in the past. Everyone seems to be going Garmin, so I followed the sheep. I'm wondering why? The only metrics are peak and avg power. My Joule had tons of additional data. Especially when riding in town, stopping for stop lights and/ or coasting.... At least getting a measurement that eliminates the "zero's" is useful. My ride the other day was probably 20 watts lower than it should be due to stop signs, etc.

Am I wrong?

I liked the 20 min power, 40 min power, etc.

It showed if pace was slipping over distance.

Anywho- thinking of slapping the Joule back on.
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring power... What computer? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I used a Joule in the past. Everyone seems to be going Garmin, so I followed the sheep. I'm wondering why? The only metrics are peak and avg power. My Joule had tons of additional data. Especially when riding in town, stopping for stop lights and/ or coasting.... At least getting a measurement that eliminates the "zero's" is useful. My ride the other day was probably 20 watts lower than it should be due to stop signs, etc.

Am I wrong?

I liked the 20 min power, 40 min power, etc.

It showed if pace was slipping over distance.

Anywho- thinking of slapping the Joule back on.

Normalized power on the Garmin is what you are looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I used a Joule in the past. Everyone seems to be going Garmin, so I followed the sheep. I'm wondering why? The only metrics are peak and avg power.

It would appear that you've miss a metric shit ton of other metrics available on Garmin computers. Dig deeper!

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't look at Average Power. Normalized Power takes out the 0s and gives you what you are looking for.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring power... What computer? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Don't look at Average Power. Normalized Power takes out the 0s and gives you what you are looking for.

Stick to product announcements. This is dumb as dumb gets.
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring power... What computer? [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Oh really? Who cares about average power?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
romulusmagnus wrote:
BryanD wrote:

They both matter. But 0's are included in both.

Average power better reflects the speed/bike split you'll achieve, the actual power delivered.

Normalized power reflects the physiological impact of the ride, in terms of impact to muscle fatigue, energy systems that generate power.

That's why reducing your VI allows the least physical impact for the fastest bike split.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring power... What computer? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Wait... I thought normalized power did take out the zero's. How would it "know" fatigue?

motoguy128 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
romulusmagnus wrote:
BryanD wrote:

They both matter. But 0's are included in both.

Average power better reflects the speed/bike split you'll achieve, the actual power delivered.

Normalized power reflects the physiological impact of the ride, in terms of impact to muscle fatigue, energy systems that generate power.

That's why reducing your VI allows the least physical impact for the fastest bike split.
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring power... What computer? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I end the ride and review on the screen. I only see avg power and peak power. Where is everything I am missing? Is it only available on download?

sciguy wrote:
jharris wrote:
I used a Joule in the past. Everyone seems to be going Garmin, so I followed the sheep. I'm wondering why? The only metrics are peak and avg power.

It would appear that you've miss a metric shit ton of other metrics available on Garmin computers. Dig deeper!

Hugh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. You have to set one of the screens to show NP.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Gotta set up your screens. I have 6 screens going on my Garmin. You can set it to show as many or as few data fields as you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I end the ride and review on the screen. I only see avg power and peak power. Where is everything I am missing? Is it only available on download?

sciguy wrote:
jharris wrote:

Hugh

With a Garmin 500-

Turn on and hold enter button until you see the menu with settings on the bottom of the screen- select that by pressing enter
On the next menu list select Bike Settings by pressing enter
Next select Data fields
Choose which page you want set up there are 5 possible different pages you can set up
For any of the pages you want set up you can choose up to 6 data fields in any order on the page.

orfor the love of God RTFD.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
No. You have to set one of the screens to show NP.

or IF

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

Wait... I thought normalized power did take out the zero's. How would it "know" fatigue? .
to compare one ride to another and measure overall training stress (TSS). It attempts to compare a 4 hour zone 2 ride which might be 160TSS, to a 2-1/2 hour Tempo ride, whcih could also be 160TSS, to two 1 hour rides with Threshold or VO2 intervals, which might be 80 TSS each.

the 0's are very important, because it's rest, it most definitely impacts training stress over a measure duration. There's a argument for never using auto pause, as rest while walking into a gas station to buy a Gatoraide is rest.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring power... What computer? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That's TSS.... Someone else said it was normalized power. Yes?

motoguy128 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Wait... I thought normalized power did take out the zero's. How would it "know" fatigue? .
to compare one ride to another and measure overall training stress (TSS). It attempts to compare a 4 hour zone 2 ride which might be 160TSS, to a 2-1/2 hour Tempo ride, whcih could also be 160TSS, to two 1 hour rides with Threshold or VO2 intervals, which might be 80 TSS each.

the 0's are very important, because it's rest, it most definitely impacts training stress over a measure duration. There's a argument for never using auto pause, as rest while walking into a gas station to buy a Gatoraide is rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

Wait... I thought normalized power did take out the zero's. How would it "know" fatigue?

No it does use zeros, it is just that zeros have less of an influence. This is because every 30 second average is raised to the 4th power and then averaged with the other 30 second running averages and then 4th root is taken. So if you average 100 watts for 30 seconds, that raised to the 4th power is much larger than 0 to the 4th power.
Quote Reply