Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How will no-wetsuit swim affect age group national times? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
clayhathorn wrote:
Do most folks swim slower without wetsuits?

I think most people swim slower sans wetsuit. The weaker swimmers tend to suffer the most though as often their body position is quite poor and they no longer have the buoyancy of their wetsuit. I prefer non-wetsuit swims.

Ditto to above. Being a strong swimmer, always prefer a non-wetsuit swim. And, yes, if you want to save seconds, get a swimskin.
Quote Reply
Re: How will no-wetsuit swim affect age group national times? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote h2ofun
I raced at Donner against a 61 year old who was second in the nation in rankings last year. He swam a 23, I swam a 26. 23 is fast in the race I do.
He killed me on the bike. So out of T2 he had a 9 minute lead. He was pissed when I caught him at mile 5. :). /quote]

Did he stop at the porta-John and take a 8 minute crap?
Quote Reply
Re: How will no-wetsuit swim affect age group national times? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
[quote h2ofun
I raced at Donner against a 61 year old who was second in the nation in rankings last year. He swam a 23, I swam a 26. 23 is fast in the race I do.
He killed me on the bike. So out of T2 he had a 9 minute lead. He was pissed when I caught him at mile 5. :). /quote]

Did he stop at the porta-John and take a 8 minute crap?

Nope, I beat him by 12 minutes on the run. He cannot run. Most older folks cannot run.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: How will no-wetsuit swim affect age group national times? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
clayhathorn wrote:
Do most folks swim slower without wetsuits?

I think most people swim slower sans wetsuit. The weaker swimmers tend to suffer the most though as often their body position is quite poor and they no longer have the buoyancy of their wetsuit. I prefer non-wetsuit swims.

Ditto to above. Being a strong swimmer, always prefer a non-wetsuit swim. And, yes, if you want to save seconds, get a swimskin.

A sprint I did this year which is normally wetsuit legal, wasn't this year and I've never heard so many people moaning and complaining, a few even decided not to race. It was pretty pathetic and this is in Australia where the standard of swimming is supposed to be pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: How will no-wetsuit swim affect age group national times? [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked results online for IMC, Muskoka 70.3, Calgary 70.3, no one who won the swim won the race, and as far as swimmers in your age group who could swim at a 25 min 1500m pace, there were 3 or four at best. This would be Canada, so wetsuits would be pretty well guaranteed.

Whatever you lose in not wearing a wetsuit, so will the rest of the AG. It is all relative.
Of course for the none kickers (like me) you might want to brush up your kick.
Don't sweat it, you lose nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: How will no-wetsuit swim affect age group national times? [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expect tons of excuses at the end of the race. I think that swim will shell a bunch of buoy butts that really need a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: How will no-wetsuit swim affect age group national times? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Most older folks cannot run.

And in other breaking news, water is wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like water temp is now pushing 85... that's going to be a hot one!

So almost guaranteed this will be a non wetsuit race and you never know "what will be comepetitive" since that depends on who shows up. Swim your best, wear a swim skin if you have one... good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: How will no-wetsuit swim affect age group national times? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great discussion, folks, I had no idea I would get two pages of responses -- it's my first time on Slowtwitch.

Hope you guys know what you're talking about. I just dropped 300 clams on a swimskin despite not knowing what one was until yesterday :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next