Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looking at my season with only Bike Trainer training [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
rock wrote:
I've selected a few quotes from your post for emphasis and to highlight a few things

h2ofun wrote:

For me, I cannot train hard, whether it is swim, bike or run. I just do not have the mental strength to dig deep for training.

But on the trainer, I just cannot got hard like I can in a race. Again, it is mental.......I just LSD it.

When I was doing my weekly 4 hour, 60 mile, 5000 feet climbing heading to Colfax, even though I never did it "hard", just doing this 4 hour ride kicked my butt

Wish I could say that being on the trainer 7 days a week made my biking stronger, but the race results do not lie. On the flats, I did not see it has much. But with lots of killer hills, the lack of endurance sure shows.

This is your problem right here, it sounds like you're basically doing no intensity on the bike. I do not know one person who has taken their bike to the next level without at least a sprinkling of intensity in there. LSD on the bike, and only LSD is no good.

If you want to keep your power cranks then fine, keep them for your easy rides. But at least three of your rides a week need some intensity, on those three days ditch the power cranks, train as you would race and knuckle down into some threshold/sweet spot/above threshold type work. Only LSD just won't cut it on the bike.

I do interval work on the bike 3 days a week. Just did this morning

160-300 watts, 10 watts per minute, 15 minutes.
5 minutes 150 watts
5 minutes 190 watts
Then 3 sets of 230 watts for 10, then 5 minutes of 120 watts spin.
End with 10 minutes of 120 watts.

For a wuss like me, is this not an interval workout?

My gearing is 50/16 for these sessions.

And I have no issues using the powercranks on the bike. They really are not hard at all.

If you are doing intervals, what is the problem with riding indoors? Have you considered the possibility of training more systematically? Like testing FTP and basing your training on that testing?

What is the issue with the knee? Does it bother you on these interval days when going hard or more a problem with going long? Does it bother you in races? Sounds like fixing that is the solution, not likely an issue of indoor vs outdoor.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at my season with only Bike Trainer training [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting insight.

This winter I was looking over my power files from last season and realized I was strongest until mid-March/early-April (when I gave up the trainer).

Thus, this season I have been riding the trainer 2-3x during the week (usually a hard workout, easy ride, and moderate ride) + a longer zone 2 ride on the weekend.

Result: easily the best riding of my life. Riding 15-20 watts higher for my 70.3 bike splits (245W -->265W).

While I dont love sitting on the trainer, I do enjoy being faster and not getting hit. For what its worth, I certainly have no pristine training dungeon. I just do it in my garage with the door open so hopefully I dont black out from the gas fumes from the mower. Oh, and a $30 fan at big lots.

I think many of the pro's would agree (Lionel, Cody, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You never seem to talk about watts. How you get them in and what you put out is what matters. Trainer. Flats. Hills. Outside. Inside. Etc. Does not matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at my season with only Bike Trainer training [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
Yes the sessions are hard, the trainer sessions mid-week take some mental strength to get through, particularly the last few minutes of intervals.

Well if your knee is really that bad I'd suggest you either get it fixed if you can, otherwise if you can't train in a way to improve your bike performance you'll just have to accept that you'll be mediocre on the bike.

Out of curiosity, what part of your knee hurts while cycling? Is it the patella tendon, or do you have pain on the medial or lateral side of the knee? Have you had it checked by someone that knows what they are doing before?

I had an MRI on it a while back. Best they could fight was arthritis. Have had this issue for many many years. Anytime I am on the bike, I just have to stop pedaling and stretch it
many times. No big deal. Just that all of us have limitations and are trying to do the best with can with what we have. Now, I still need to get mentally strong, no matter how I train on the bike, but so far over the years, it has not worked. :(

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You ever tried riding with a road racing group? That'll toughen you up and teach you how to suffer quickly. Man up or get dropped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

You're a prime example of an athlete who could really benefit from the use of a power meter for your outdoor training and racing. At 160lb and an FTP of ~265watts that puts you at ~ 3.65 watts/kg @ your FTP. That's a decent power level for a 59 year old and should imply a much greater potential than your showing in races.

That leaves us with several questions that a power meter would quickly help resolve.

1. is your bike position as aerodynamic as a brick? Are you clothing , helmet and wheel choices helping your cause?

2. Do you pace your power in an efficient manner outdoors? Too hard up the hills? Too easy down the hills? Not hard enough on the flats? Too hard on the first half? Too easy overall? You have often said you go as hard as you can for the whole bike but I call bulls#it on that as you're obviously holding back in order to be able to unleash your trade marked butt kicking run.

I know that FD has had a huge anti-power meter prejudice but I would hope that you're enough of a free thinker to not be swayed by his irrational feelings. If you really want to see what's going on with your race biking you owe it to yourself. A used powertap could could be used on any of your three Cervelo and would be very inexpensive especially when compared to the cost of a Velotron, 100" TV or other training aids you have been willing to purchase.

So why not run a power meter on your outdoor bike? It seems like such an obvious choice for an inquiring mind.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried different cleat positions and saddle positions to see if that helps your knee? I had recurring Achilles issues but based upon a suggestion on ST tried moving my cleats back toward the middle of my shoe and magically my Achilles problems are no more.

h2ofun wrote:
rock wrote:
Yes the sessions are hard, the trainer sessions mid-week take some mental strength to get through, particularly the last few minutes of intervals.

Well if your knee is really that bad I'd suggest you either get it fixed if you can, otherwise if you can't train in a way to improve your bike performance you'll just have to accept that you'll be mediocre on the bike.

Out of curiosity, what part of your knee hurts while cycling? Is it the patella tendon, or do you have pain on the medial or lateral side of the knee? Have you had it checked by someone that knows what they are doing before?

I had an MRI on it a while back. Best they could fight was arthritis. Have had this issue for many many years. Anytime I am on the bike, I just have to stop pedaling and stretch it
many times. No big deal. Just that all of us have limitations and are trying to do the best with can with what we have. Now, I still need to get mentally strong, no matter how I train on the bike, but so far over the years, it has not worked. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
rock wrote:
What is your FTP?

As an example my current bike training consists of 4 rides a week structured like this:

- 1hr with 2 x 15 min over/unders (5 sets of 2min @ 95% FTP/1min @ 105% FTP), 10 min rest in Z2, warm up and cool down Z2
- 1hr 30min with 3 x 15 min @ 95% FTP. 10 min rest between efforts in Z2, warm up and cool down Z2
- 1hr with 6 x 4 min 115% FTP, 4 min rest between efforts in Z2, warm up and cool down in Z2
- 4hr with 2 x 1hr @ 85% FTP, with short (5-10 min) rest between efforts in Z2, rest of time in Z2

My long ride is structured to be specific to my target race demands. I have a HIM in November so I do 2 x 1hr @ 85% FTP. If I was training for an Oly I'd likely do 3 x 20 min @ FTP on longer rest, and for an IM which I'm training for in March 17 I'll switch to 2 x 2hr @ 75% FTP on short rest.

Probably around 265 maybe.

Wow, no way , today, could I do that. I cannot do what I am doing now with my bum knee. I see why I am failing on the trainer. I have yet to find a way to work that hard,
and my results show it. :(

Thanks for this info.

Guess I need to do another FTP test. Been a while

If your FTP is 265 as you say (or even 250+), the reason for your bike underperformance very clear - you're just wimping out on your indoor bike workouts.

I'm also a bit surprised about your bum knee being your limiter if you can in fact go harder outdoors - the bike position isn't that dramatically different, so you really should have very little knee pain difference.
Quote Reply

Prev Next