Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why do we need low drop running shoes?
Quote | Reply
It seems that people around these parts only want to wear low-drop shoes (4mm or less). Yet the last few world records in the marathon have been set in a 10mm drop shoe, the Adidas Boost. It's not even that light at 7.9 oz! The other popular shoe among top marathoners is the Nike Streak, another high drop shoe. What's up? I mean, if it's good 10mm drop works for Eliud Kipchoge, figure it ought to work for most of the ST crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we need low drop running shoes? [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misinterpretation of aerodynamics crossover from the bike to the run?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because "Born to run".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
It seems that people around these parts only want to wear low-drop shoes (4mm or less). Yet the last few world records in the marathon have been set in a 10mm drop shoe, the Adidas Boost. It's not even that light at 7.9 oz! The other popular shoe among top marathoners is the Nike Streak, another high drop shoe. What's up? I mean, if it's good 10mm drop works for Eliud Kipchoge, figure it ought to work for most of the ST crowd.

I think it's largely a personal preference issue. There are plenty of racing flats with 4mm-8mm drop that are popular among elite racers as well. Also, training is different than racing and low drop shoes can be useful as a training tool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nikes are too narrow for my feet, so no drop or 20 mm drop, I don't wear them. I don't care what the pros wear.

Maybe it is body mechanics or form, but if I wear shoes with too much drop, I get shin splints.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we need low drop running shoes? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of it has to do with race distance. Those elite marathoners would most likely wear a lighter/lower drop racing flat in a 5K or 10K road race. Their form and foot strike may also be slightly different depending on the race distance/pace. Also, how do you know they wouldn't have run faster in a lighter lower drop shoe? Not saying they would, but something to think about. How much do you think Adidas pays them to race in the Boost line of shoes that they are aggressively marketing. How much did Sketchers pay Meb to race in their shoes?

I agree that Born to Run gave too many people the idea that zero drop barefoot running is the answer for injury free running. The problem is you need to have near perfect form and you need to be close to your ideal running weight. Someone that is 50 pounds above their ideal running weight with bad form will end up injured 99% of the time when going minimalist.

I personally train in a 5 oz. racing flat for 95% of my training and occasionally run barefoot on grass. I used to frequently deal with Achilles tendonitis and other lower leg injuries when I wore high drop/highly cushioned trainers. That being said, I wouldn't recommend it to most people because you have to be patient and take it slower than most people are willing to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do we need shoes with a higher drop? I mean, I understand the cushioning aspect if you don't see that there's anything wrong with a heel strike, but why does that mean the forefoot can't be at the same level? I don't think "Born to Run" and the natural running movement has everything figured out or anything, but it does raise the question of why did we suddenly feel that it was necessary to change how our foot interacts with the ground so drastically.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we need low drop running shoes? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP, you do know that sponsored pro/elite athletes have full custom made shoes, right?

Ex: one of my favorite track runners, sanya richard-ross used to get all of her training/racing shoes taylor made to her specific needs by nike, same with sebastian keinle with new balance and the rest of the elite field i assume as well!

What they're running on isn't production gear that you and I end up with!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we need low drop running shoes? [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the better your running mechanics are, the less the shoes even matter.

Most of shoe construction is to attempt to overcome imperfections in run mechanics.

I run is shoes with 0, 2, 4mm, and previously had 8mm drop as well. I don't think the drop mattered as much as the shape and overall feel and fit of the shoe. Al in the end, I adapt to each one I run in. I find that hte toe box and forefoot fit seem to matter the most. I like my Ne Balances I bought the least because the toe box is too narrow. But I love the feel of the midsole.

I love hte shape of the Hokas, but the toe box is only OK.

I love the wide forefoot of the Altras and they have become my favorite, but they are a bit firm, but are my current favorite.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we need low drop running shoes? [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
OP, you do know that sponsored pro/elite athletes have full custom made shoes, right?

Ex: one of my favorite track runners, sanya richard-ross used to get all of her training/racing shoes taylor made to her specific needs by nike, same with sebastian keinle with new balance and the rest of the elite field i assume as well!

What they're running on isn't production gear that you and I end up with!

^^this^^ is so crucial to the conversation! We don't really know the specs on their shoes. Lots of trial and error, I guess.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we need low drop running shoes? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Because "Born to run".
this.

It's a tool, and it's good they're available now. I'm not a low-drop guy, but I won't advocate/detract from them. I get a sense that there's a bit more proselytizing by those who use/have been helped by low ramp shoes. Good for them, but they're no panacea.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply