Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salt tablets
Quote | Reply
Could you guys share your thoughts on using salt tablets in an ironman race. I've not used them before, and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Salt tablets [jdf1019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's personal preference. Not sure what you're asking and more info about your overall nutrition plan would be helpful if you want suggestions on sodium and electrolyte intake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some swear by them.

Some feel they need them and sweat testing may confirm this.

Others like myself quit using them and have never noticed any difference. I seems to consume plenty of salt in the sports drinks during the event. I have a fairly high sweat rate, but seem to absorb fluids well at a high rate, so it balances out.

I tend to believe that the more salt you eat the more you sweat out or remove through the kidneys and excess has little benefit. But I'm nto a medical professional. I only know that I've never observed any improvement. Any cramping I get is fitness, fatigue & pacing related. Compounded by heat because heat add more work to your metabolic systems to cool yourself. Cooling yourself consumes energy, just like your car's AC.

In summary, you might need them, but my own experience says they are a waste of money and a logistical PITA if you drink mostly sports drink during the race and food with electrolytes, you should get more than enough. I also incorporate sea salt and the pink salt into my daily diet. Though I drink a lot of water daily too.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdf1019 wrote:
Could you guys share your thoughts on using salt tablets in an ironman race. I've not used them before, and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were? Thanks

It's pretty well documented to help, but it's condition dependent. I took something every 30 minutes for IMTX, and took 1 pill for the entire Ironman Frankfurt race. Train and try first.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Salt tablets [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on the training aspect. I generally have used when it is very hot. Seems like when my sodium gets low I tend to get disinterested and sluggish.

The best course is to try variety of methods and sources in your training and see how your body reacts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether to use salt replacement is very user specific with some finding an absolute need and others none at all. That said Hyponatremia is a real issue within endurance sports. Developing a personalized nutrition plan to avoid hyponatremia is important. Whether that depends on specific salt replenishment in the form of salt tabs (or alternatives like Base Salt) is a personal preference dependent on factors such as sweat rate, type of fluids consumed, type of other nutrition etc.

I personally use Base Salt with water only and gels for long runs. I have a very high sweat rate (actually sweat more than I can consume) and I have found that water works best on my stomach vs any sports drink (especially on the run or very hot days). I like Base Salt because it is absorbed prior to the stomach and has helped me reduce GI issues. On the bike (long rides or IM) I have started using Infinite and water only. Depending on conditions I supplement with Base as needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two Salt Stick per hour through the end of the bike. Base Salt (available on course) every mile for the run, with the amount of licks dependent on heat. This has worked well for me in my five IMs. No issues whatsoever in hot CDA last year and Texas this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my sweat tested and monitored my own sweat rates. The result :

Seems to work well for me.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Salt tablets [TrekRider68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrekRider68 wrote:
Agree on the training aspect. I generally have used when it is very hot. Seems like when my sodium gets low I tend to get disinterested and sluggish.

The best course is to try variety of methods and sources in your training and see how your body reacts.

Anybody else find disinterest and sluggishness with low sodium? I've been battling this on some runs...I just stop for no real reason. I've been messing around with my diet and have gone from salting everything to using almost no salt. There was no problem before, I just thought cutting salt would be "healthier". I'm wondering if that wasn't such a great idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt tablets [RokeSmoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also seem to disengage through the course of a race if I am low, either with salt or sugar. I always make sure I take plenty of salt tablets on the run to prevent the "whogivesashitanymores" as well as cramping. Went through 21 Salt Stick Tablets in my run in Whistler. Would have been interesting to try a bit more of the Red Bull, but it kinda spooked me.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Salt tablets [RokeSmoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have plenty of disinterest and sluggishness. I don't think it has anything to do with low sodium though...
Quote Reply
Re: Salt tablets [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the truth, but after reading this there was a flicker of hope I could blame it on something other than just myself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdf1019 wrote:

Kind of gone full circle on this topic. Went from less of salt user, to more of a salt user but never as extreme as say Jordan using 1 per mile of the run, to a salt user but not as heavy as one. I have moved off salt tablets after being introduced to Base last year. I have only done halfs this year so far, but I have been adding 3-5 scoops of salt per bottle, 2 bottles on the bike + 1 in the morning before the race. 3 scoops for colder races, 4 normal, 5 hot. It has worked with me and I have not had to take any salt on the run.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like salt tabs and they have become a part of my race nutrition. There have been a few scenarios where they saved me as well, I live of the course for the most part and have had 2 instances where Gatorade or Heed or X was promised on the bottle exchanges for the bike but only water was available. Generally I'll take 2 right before I jump in the water, 1 once I'm mobile n the bike, then from there I'll take 1 every 45 minutes to an hour, sometime 2 depending on sweat rate and temperatures of the day.

Saltstick also makes tabs that contain caffeine as an added ingredient, and I do love some caffeine on the run!

Generaly brand I buy is Saltstick, but my LBS was out the other week so I bought a bottle of Hammer Endurolytes, they have been working fine as well.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply