Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills)
Quote | Reply
Want to check out Lysefjorden?
You can either do base jumping, take part in Lysefjorden Opp on rollerskis, do the swimrun Rockman, or take part in a new triathlon ThorXtri.
https://www.facebook.com/thorxtri/

Yes, that is the hill out of T1
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! That is stunning and too painful to contemplate.
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like hell. I would love to do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That is awesome.

What happens to the road at the base of the hill? It looks like it just disappears. Do you have to resort to rock climbing and haul your bike up with a rope? Lol. Not for the faint of heart.
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
Wow! That is awesome.

What happens to the road at the base of the hill? It looks like it just disappears. Do you have to resort to rock climbing and haul your bike up with a rope? Lol. Not for the faint of heart.

You will be in a tunnel.

During the year you can find several races up that hill, including a big international rollerski race https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-DC7SBwX4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
You can either do base jumping, take part in Lysefjorden Opp on rollerskis, do the swimrun Rockman, or take part in a new triathlon ThorXtri.

It looks deliciously painful... and think I'd rather take that than the first 40K of Norseman. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at Strava segments in Norway last year and saw that one... nasty!

Norway is beautiful and I have friends who live in Oslo... but too cold for me to do triathlon.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jul 19, 16 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is cool. That one section near the top looks seriously steep...what's max/average gradient of that thing? Altitude gained? Looks like you're climbing 2-3K.

Spot

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
That is cool. That one section near the top looks seriously steep...what's max/average gradient of that thing? Altitude gained? Looks like you're climbing 2-3K.

Spot

https://www.strava.com/segments/4876771

12% average.
603m climbing.
5.1 km.
Looks like some steep bits of close to 20%.
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

12% average.
603m climbing.
5.1 km.
You failed to mention that little section of 800% :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

12% average.
603m climbing.
5.1 km.

You failed to mention that little section of 800% :-)

Tunnels are a problem for GPS!

Now that I think about it, the tunnel section would lower the average and increase the segment length to probably 6.5 km.

From the internets (not sure the exact start/stop though):
8.9km
9.4% average
840m climbing
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jul 19, 16 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I was looking at Strava segments in Norway

I bet this line has not been typed too many times here haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

Reviving the thread: Halvard:You signed up for ThorXtri?
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've signed up to this. It'll be my first Iron-distance tri... That first climb is going to be horrendapigs. Trying to decide whether a road bike or TT is best for the bike leg. Given there are 170km after that climb to negotiate (with only a few category 3s and 4s), it might be worth grizzing out the climb on a TT. Does anyone have any thoughts / advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [BagsofSmoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BagsofSmoke wrote:
I've signed up to this. It'll be my first Iron-distance tri... That first climb is going to be horrendapigs. Trying to decide whether a road bike or TT is best for the bike leg. Given there are 170km after that climb to negotiate (with only a few category 3s and 4s), it might be worth grizzing out the climb on a TT. Does anyone have any thoughts / advice?

I've not ridden that course, but the profile suggests having sufficient lowest gearing you can for the first 8 miles and lots of aero thereafter. Most everyone who does Norseman these days does so on a TT bike, but with really good brakes. That's what I'm doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Fishgo. I'm erring towards a TT rather than my trusty Cube, but plan to do a ton of hill work on both and see how I go. Probably not the best thread for this, but any particular recommendations on TT bikes (budget limit is £4-5k to include travel case, wheels and aero helmet) would be much appreciated. Any more than that and the wife will probably divorce me...
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [BagsofSmoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BagsofSmoke wrote:
Thanks Fishgo. I'm erring towards a TT rather than my trusty Cube, but plan to do a ton of hill work on both and see how I go. Probably not the best thread for this, but any particular recommendations on TT bikes (budget limit is £4-5k to include travel case, wheels and aero helmet) would be much appreciated. Any more than that and the wife will probably divorce me...

I guess that depends on if you want that extra 15 minutes a TT bike might get you versus the cost of the new bike. If the time saved isn't worth it, stay on your road bike and do some aero optimization on it.

I've had a few TT bikes (some nice ones) but I also committed for racing for a long time and try to minimize my time on the course. Some folks are in the sport for the fun of it and not look for every last second of savings. And I'll typically do 1/4 to 1/3 of my races on a road bike, anyway.

There are also many folks on road bikes at Norseman (or at any IM) and quite a few had faster bike splits than me (cough).

I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't need to go buy a new bike just for this course, unless it would make you happy. Lower gearing, yep, get that. Lots of bike threads you can look through on Slowtwitch for bike advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always wanted to go to Norway. This is just another reason.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Well why dont you just join us? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BagsofSmoke wrote:

Hi BagsofSmoke,

I am looking forward to greet you out of the water at the shores of Lysebotn. With regards to bike advise, I recommend using a TT bike as what you "loose" going up the hill you will gain going Down the valley and the last section which is Coastal ride normally in headwind - you do want to be aero for that section.

thor
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [thorxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice Thor. Looking forward to the race (and purchasing a nice shiny new TT bike soon)!
Quote Reply
Re: Best T1 and start of a bike leg in any triathlon (pic). New triathlon in Norway (fjord and hills) [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start line wasn't to bad either...

Last edited by: TriLars: Feb 9, 17 2:57
Quote Reply