Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pain when running
Quote | Reply
So, maybe I am a wuss. Maybe I am just scared of my calf strain when I first started triathlon 10 years ago. Back then, I was a fool. I tried running a few miles my first run out of the box and pulled my gastroc muscle.

Anywho.... Fast forward and when I feel tightness and pain, I usually call it a day and go home. I should also add that I have been unable to build lots of miles because of this. I could get up to 10 or so miles, but that doesn't help when an ironman is 26.2.

So, I've been running with an ultra-marathoner this season. He usually runs after I'm done since he does way more miles than me. Today, my calf was tender and I was worried... He said, "tell that leg to shut the hell up and keep running". So, I did. We talked about it and he said that's just what happens. It actually got better after 40 minutes, but by the time the run was over (1 hr), it tightened up pretty badly. I rolled it out and iced it. The girlfriend also rolled it out later that night and this was the first time I was close to using our "safe word"! Ba-geez-is, it hurt really bad! Although, taking the pan of rolling it out, I could actually walk around now fine. I took some ibuprofen and curious what tomorrow will bring.

Point of the story is.... Is this a HTFU moment? Is this what really happens as the ultra-marathoner said? Or, should I do what I was doing and be cautious with pain, tightness, or discomfort?
Quote Reply
Re: Pain when running [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Difficult, because nobody really knows what anybody else is feeling. If the pains you're getting during a run are causing lasting discomfort or injuries then you're right to be wary of them and not just try to run through them. But yes, some pain is normal for a lot of or even all runners. If I stopped every time a muscle felt tight or sore I'd almost never run. You've got to figure out what your body can and can't take, and that will involve gradually pushing yourself more. I would be inclined to see a PT regularly if you're trying to build up from 10 miles to 26 miles - will help to keep the muscles loose and can also help with early diagnosis of any problems that are likely to develop into injuries.

I'm only 41, and already the first mile of most runs involves various aches and pains as the muscles warm up. Can't imagine what my 60s are going to be like!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a big difference between tightness/stiffness and pain. Not a big deal to keep running when you feel the former. But the latter - pain? You shouldn't try running through that because pain tells you that something is wrong, and continuing to run isn't going to make it better, even if that pain does temporarily go away while running. Are your running shoes in good shape? Are you running in the proper type of shoe for your foot structure? Do you use any inserts like orthotics or off-the-shelf insoles with arch support? You need to lay off the running for at least several days, continue with the ibuprofen, and massage the calf. It would be even better if you could get it massaged by a massage therapist. When you can do normal daily activities without pain or feelings of tightness, then try taking a brisk walk. If that's OK, try running the next day. But you are only going to hurt yourself further and prolong the injury if you try running through pain. Calf raises are helpful too, provided they can be done pain-free. Do 3 sets of 10, lowering your leg each time to a count of 6. So raise up, then slowly lower back down to a count of 6. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain when running [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess when we talk about tightness..... Is this something you would say has any pain? On a level of 1-10, the "tightness" was a 5 or 6. As I said, I was able to run through it. I'm just curious if this is often "normal", or if ANY pain usually means rest and not run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, tightness/stiffness and pain are two separate things. I'm 55 years old and almost every run now I start off with tightness in my calves. I simply run easy for the first mile or so and work my way into it and the tightness goes away. However, a few months ago I went out for a run and felt a pain in my right calf. I kept running easy to see if it would go away in my usual first mile or so. It did not so I stopped and walked home. Turns out I somehow pulled the calf muscle. I iced, rested, and massaged for 8 or 9 days and I was fine again (remember, I'm 55 and don't heal up as fast as when I was younger). Pain is not normal. I'm not sure I really know how to tell you the difference between pain and stiffness. Pain says ouch, whereas tightness is more like my legs don't want to work right or my running doesn't feel smooth. If whatever you are feeling bothers you during normal daily activities, then I don't think you should be running. I would try a stretching and strengthening regimen along with massage to see if you can rid of the pain. I would also get a running shoe opinion by someone who knows what they are doing. If you ever walk into a shop to buy running shoes and the salesperson asks "So, which color do you like?", I recommend running away as fast as possible. Or if they tell you "This is the one I run in, try it", do the same. Another bad one is "This is the one lots of folks are wearing right now". Find a shop where someone will at least take a look at your feet and your old shoes to see what is going on. I see so many people running in shoes that really aren't right for them. About half a life ago I used to work for Jeff Galloway at Phidippides in Atlanta fitting/selling running shoes.
Quote Reply