Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Biking w/out a Power Meter [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have missed this but what kind of bike are you riding....size/specs? Any aerobars? Have any pics or video to evaluate? Like you, I was a swimmer in high school and college but have improved greatly on the bike over the past four years. Have done it primarily through spin classes and just recently bought an indoor trainer (Wahoo). I just bought a power meter because I've started to do long distance events but for all the sprints and oly's during my first three years I didn't worry about having a power meter....spin classes at my local gym and maybe a 10 mile road ride once a week.....(just don't have the time for frequent long road rides and don't like dodging traffic). So, there are options for doing your bike training besides spending hours a week doing road riding and getting a power meter. I'd get some pics and/or a video for us to evaluate why you are having a tough time breaking 20mph.
Last edited by: gphin305: Jun 28, 16 20:21
Quote Reply
Re: Biking w/out a Power Meter [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney is making, BY FAR, the most sense in this thread.

Don't complicate things, don't over analyze with data, etc. just get out and ride as much as possible, sometimes hard, sometimes not. Find a fast group ride you can join on a weekly basis and y will get faster.

You clearly have the aerobic engine, you just need to adapt to the bike work.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Biking w/out a Power Meter [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
You're racing slower than your training rides?

With a swimming background, who think he is going hard on the swim and it's effecting his bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Biking w/out a Power Meter [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
You're racing slower than your training rides?

With a swimming background, who think he is going hard on the swim and it's effecting his bike?

It's definitely perplexing that you can average 19.2 mph for a 60+ mile training ride, but went 18.4 mph in your last 12 mile sprint Tri. Was the training ride more recent, so that it reflects the improvement from your training? Do you dislike sprints? I don't enjoy the short distances. Whether running or cycling, my averages speeds don't increase dramatically as the distances get longer. I just enjoy a hard, steady grind more than a heart-in-my-throat sprint. Maybe that explains your discrepancy. Still, you should be faster at the shorter distance, especially given that we all go harder in a race than in training. All I can guess is that you're really killing it in the swim while perhaps also saving something for the run. As a long-time runner and relatively new cyclist, I have the tendency to save too much for the run.

For what it's worth, my power-to-weight ratio is about the same as yours- I'm 3.3 and you're about 3.15. I average over 20 mph for Olympic distances (on a standard road bike). I'm short (5.8), which I guess helps, but my experience indicates you should be able to crack 20 mph.
Quote Reply

Prev Next