Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is he currently at nine 70.3 wins in a row? I believe last time he didn't win was last year in Oceanside where he placed 3rd? It would be a shame not to see him at the 70.3 Worlds!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pushed 361w AP and 370w NP in that race. To this day, that is probably the hardest I have ever biked. Unfortunately, with poor aerodynamics and equipment positioning/choices, I did not realize all of the speed of that power on that day. Running 1:11:xx on those legs is probably one of my best run performances ever too. Keep in mind, that run course was significantly harder than the run course on Sunday. So, I would say the effort on Sunday was nowhere near the effort at 70.3 Worlds 2014.

http://www.lsanderstri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [LSandersTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSandersTri wrote:
Pushed 361w AP and 370w NP in that race. To this day, that is probably the hardest I have ever biked. Unfortunately, with poor aerodynamics and equipment positioning/choices, I did not realize all of the speed of that power on that day. Running 1:11:xx on those legs is probably one of my best run performances ever too. Keep in mind, that run course was significantly harder than the run course on Sunday. So, I would say the effort on Sunday was nowhere near the effort at 70.3 Worlds 2014.

I was thinking that 70.3 WC run course was around 2 min harder for the same weather conditions, but given last Sunday's heat, perhaps the heat cancelled out the 70.3 WC run course hills. Thanks for the honesty and open disclosure of information By the way, what powermeter are you using? By the way, are you running better or worse off short cranks, or is it a wash? Has your cadence changed on short cranks or are you applying more crank force at the same RPM to get the same power numbers? Also in the heat this weekend, and I know we spoke about some of this after IM Texas 2015, what did you do for electrolytes at Tremblant 140.6 last Aug and 70.3 this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough to compare heat vs. hills. Some of the weaker runners may actually appear stronger relative to the strong runners in the heat, whereas you need to be a good runner to run hills well, there is no faking it. I would say though that relative to last year's course, it was probably close to two minutes slower.

I am using Powertap P1 pedals. In this race last year, as well as 70.3 Worlds 2014, I used Stages. I did quite a few comparisons and I did not see a massive difference in numbers between the two devices, so I am confident in comparing numbers between the two.

It's tough to say what effect the cranks have had on cadence. As I become more experienced on the bike, I am finding my cadence is naturally increasing. All of 2014 my average cadence in 70.3s was between 78 and 82. Oceanside 2015 my average cadence was 82. At Mont Tremblant 70.3 2015 it was 84, then at Muskoka 70.3 2015 it was 85. Panama 70.3 2016 it was 87. Then I switched to 165mm cranks. At Oceanside 2016 it was 88. Texas 70.3 2016 it was 85. St. George it was 88. Mont tremblant 2016 it was 88.

For electrolytes I have been working with Infinit Nutrition Canada. I do a super concentrate on the bike in my frame bottle and a super concentrate on the run in my hand bottle. The only thing I use from the course is water.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSandersTri wrote:
Tough to compare heat vs. hills. Some of the weaker runners may actually appear stronger relative to the strong runners in the heat, whereas you need to be a good runner to run hills well, there is no faking it. I would say though that relative to last year's course, it was probably close to two minutes slower.

I am using Powertap P1 pedals. In this race last year, as well as 70.3 Worlds 2014, I used Stages. I did quite a few comparisons and I did not see a massive difference in numbers between the two devices, so I am confident in comparing numbers between the two.

It's tough to say what effect the cranks have had on cadence. As I become more experienced on the bike, I am finding my cadence is naturally increasing. All of 2014 my average cadence in 70.3s was between 78 and 82. Oceanside 2015 my average cadence was 82. At Mont Tremblant 70.3 2015 it was 84, then at Muskoka 70.3 2015 it was 85. Panama 70.3 2016 it was 87. Then I switched to 165mm cranks. At Oceanside 2016 it was 88. Texas 70.3 2016 it was 85. St. George it was 88. Mont tremblant 2016 it was 88.

For electrolytes I have been working with Infinit Nutrition Canada. I do a super concentrate on the bike in my frame bottle and a super concentrate on the run in my hand bottle. The only thing I use from the course is water.

Thanks for all the visibility. It seems like your cadence on 165's is higher across the board (as we would expect keeping foot speed almost constant) How many cals in your concentrate in each sport and how much sodium in there?

Also on the 1:11 run split vs 1:15, if you have Frodo-Gomes-Don to chase, I think we can all say the 1;15 comes down, BUT you only have so many top tier performances in any given year, so no point going there if a win is already wrapped up....save it for Sep and Oct!!!!

Is your next IM in Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all honesty, there was a helicopter over head as I was approaching the end of the bike, and I couldn't help but be taken back to Queen K when I was just entering Energy Lab and Frodeno was coming out...helicopter over head. I immediately thought to myself "if you want any shot at having that helicopter over head, you will not hit this run hard!"

I use the same concentrate for both sports. Per serving I have 192 cals and 650mg of sodium. I take two servings per hour in both sports. Those numbers will come up slightly during the Ironman, as I will be able to consume a bit more due to the lower intensity.

Yes, trying the polar opposite this year. No Ironmans in the calendar year leading into Kona. I talked to Greg Welch and he thinks this is a good idea. He told me he did 16 Ironmans in 12 years, and I would imagine Kona made up quite a few of those.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LS taking advice from GW is only going to pay off in the end. Being a Canadian and watching you Sir is an honor and privilege.
Quote Reply

Prev Next