Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt AR
Quote | Reply
Looking to see what wheel and tire combo others are using on their AR. I want to run 25s but unsure wide of wheels will work. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am running Zipp 303 firecrest with 24 Conti on rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2015 Felt AR1. Zipp 404 Firecrest front and back with Conti GP4000 II 23mm tyres. Rapid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Looking to see what wheel and tire combo others are using on their AR. I want to run 25s but unsure wide of wheels will work. Thanks

I ran 27mm Vittoria Pave tires in most crits on my AR.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo 30s with 25mm GP4000s II on a 2016 AR2. 54cm frame if that helps.
Last edited by: HighTechAthlete: Jun 25, 16 14:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2016 AR1. Run 25mm GP4000 on Nimbus Ti wheels (Pacenti SL23 v2 rims). Plenty of clearance unless you're riding through a bunch of mud or gravel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AR1 w/ Zipp 303, 25 Zipp Tangente Course rear, 23 Course front
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody dealing with a shimmy or death wobble at high speeds in there felt AR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First check your headset adjustment and bearing wear. If all else is good, try a different front tire. I have been riding my Venge for a number of years with no issues. I put on a set of the new Vittoria Corsa tires and had a major oscillation problem on a decent. Back when I used to race motorcycles you would run into tire bike combos that just didn't work.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR [HighTechAthlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HighTechAthlete wrote:
Flo 30s with 25mm GP4000s II on a 2016 AR2. 54cm frame if that helps.

X2. I run this setup on my AR5 with no issues. It's tight, but never had any issues rubbing, etc. It can be a pain to swap out to my Zipp 404s with the BB rear brake, but definitely doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this massively when I first got my AR1. The first ride out I nearly ended up in a hedge at 40 km/h due to a horrible speed wobble. Turns out it was because we had left some length to the steerer tube whilst I was deciding how many spacers I wanted. I had about an inch sticking out the top. Minute this was cut off and levelled to the bars the speed wobble issue disappeared and I am now hurtling down hills with confidence again!
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 thanks for the info just checked my bike I only have one spacer above mine maybe a little over a quarter of an inch height
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might be enough to cause problems. I now have the smallest spacer you can fit - mechanic said I should have one. It is the smallest you can get, possibly about 5mm thick. Another thing that the mechanic said can cause this is carbon handlebars. I have the Shimano PRO monocoque handlebars and under load they do flex a fair bit. Doesn't seem to have caused any trouble now my steerer tube is cut, but something to bear in mind if you have the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same speed wobble on my AR FRD. I have the smallest spacer you can fit -5mm thick. My handlebars are Zipp SL 70 aero with 3T integra team stem.

I will let my mechanic check everything but it doesn't seem to be an isolated problem.

I hope he finds the problem. This is a big problem descending.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR [BeTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I have been shaken up twice. Both times now decending. I hope Super Dave weighs in on this soon!
Last edited by: Fishbum: Jun 26, 16 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 404 with Conti 25mm, no issues. No death wobble, the bike is super planted and stable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AR2. Running 303s with GP4000 25mm
Never had a death wobble on this bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had a wobble on mine. I kind of doubt that it would have anything to do with spacers either. Maybe if the headset wasn't tightened down all the way and had some play it could cause an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 5mm spacer above mine.now, but had a 10mm before when sorting out fit. Spacers above the stem causing a wobble makes no sense. Now a loose headset, on the other hand...

I have an AR5 with 23mm GP 4000s. No problems. Hit 62 mph twice in a race earlier this year. Never even thought about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My money says loose ish headset. The integrated carbon fork race on AR1 and FRD have to be very tight in my experience. I would guess that the carbon flexes a small amount and could unload the bearing just a bit while the frame is under load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2016 54cm AR3 - Profile Design 58/24 Front, 78/24 Rear

- Started off with Conti GP4000s 25mm front and rear and rode that for about 2,500 miles no issues, comfortable, no wobble at all (high 50's mph), but I weigh 205lbs.

Had a sidewall cut on the front recently and swapped in a new Conti GP4000s 23mm that I had laying around - 500 miles in, can't really tell much of a difference on bumps or handling.

70 point something - Felt, Profile Twenty Four, Shimano
Last edited by: BoraBill: Aug 8, 16 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run 28mm wide stingers with a 24 Conti Force mounted. My "fat" tire setup is on a set of 25mm wide custom tubular build with Schwalbe One 28s (2015 version) mounted up.

As to the wobbles...I've only ever had one speed wobble in the time I've been riding (15+ years) and that was aboard my Seven on some rough pavement....might have only been going mid to high 30s (running Rolf rims customs drilled paired spoke, i.e. not the stiffest in the world). The Felt Aero Road has been flawless at speeds up to and over 50mph, but then all my Felts are/have been rock solid at speed. I'd wager a guess on perhaps wheels causing others issues as I've run with loose and tight headsets at some silly speeds without any issue. your mileage may vary, though.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at getting an AR2, and have just come across this thread. What wheels did you get in the end?

I contacted Felt to ask about tyre widths (very helpful and friendly) and they told me - So there will not be enough space to assemble the bike with wider tires then 23c ones. A wider tire could damage your frame instantly – so we don´t recommend to use a bigger tire on the AR then a 23c one

From what everyone on here is saying though, sounds like 25mm, even 28mm in one case, isn't an issue. I presume that's just Felt covering themselves then?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR [muzza14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used two sets of wheels on mine: pacenti sl23 v2 rims and Flo 60 carbon rims. On both I am using 25mm conti GP4000sII tires that measure around 27 mm mounted and there is no issue with clearance. I think Felt has to officially leave something like 5 mm of clearance on all sides for regulatory purposes so that is probably why they are being conservative.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's reassuring.

I do have one other question. I know it's a bit off the original post, but it's an old thread and a generic title, so I'll justify it to myself :)

I'm assuming from the choice of wheelsets that some of you have been using the AR for TT/triathlon with aero bars and the seatpost reversed? How have you found it? I'm looking at this as my one-stop-shop for both road riding and triathlons, so I'm keen to hear the experiences of people who have actually been using it this way.
Quote Reply