Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Software
Quote | Reply
Anyone know of good software for analyzing running data? Specifically, I am looking to be able to:

-Determine "best efforts" within an activity or across a set of activities, for distance:
For example: the software identifies the top X (user specified) marathon efforts

-Determine "best efforts" within an activity or across a set of activities, for time:
For example: the software can show the top X (user specified) distances covered in 10 minutes

I think Golden Cheetah comes close. It will show the critical maximum chart thing, but that is just the BEST speed for a certain time. It cannot find intervals for running the way it can for cycling.

Any other suggestions?

Strava's "best efforts" are kind of what I'm after, but I want to see more than just the "best", and not just for certain distances, but custom distances and for times as well.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Running Software [mcnnr27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump, any ideas? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcnnr27 wrote:
Anyone know of good software for analyzing running data? Specifically, I am looking to be able to:

-Determine "best efforts" within an activity or across a set of activities, for distance:
For example: the software identifies the top X (user specified) marathon efforts

-Determine "best efforts" within an activity or across a set of activities, for time:
For example: the software can show the top X (user specified) distances covered in 10 minutes

I think Golden Cheetah comes close. It will show the critical maximum chart thing, but that is just the BEST speed for a certain time. It cannot find intervals for running the way it can for cycling.

In the last development build (https://github.com/...ldenCheetah/releases) you can:

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running Software [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
mcnnr27 wrote:

In the last development build (https://github.com/...ldenCheetah/releases) you can:

Ah, cool, thanks! I'll try that out. In my version, I was trying to find, say, 5 minute intervals based on speed, but it would just pick 0-5min, 5-10min, 10-15, etc, etc. This looks more promising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WKO4 will do what you want.

In addition, if you use a device that measures running power (e.g., a Stryd Pioneer) or just step rate and ground contact time (e.g., a Garmin footpod), the next build uses a scientifically validated biomechanical model to calculate metrics ( e.g., leg stiffness) that have been correlated with running economy. (In fact, I have created one chart that compares your self-selected step rate/length against that which is theoretically optimal.)

(Note: In addition to what is listed in my signature, I am a consultant for Stryd, as well as for a grant application to USATF.)
Quote Reply
Re: Running Software [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
WKO4 will do what you want.

In addition, if you use a device that measures running power (e.g., a Stryd Pioneer) or just step rate and ground contact time (e.g., a Garmin footpod), the next build uses a scientifically validated biomechanical model to calculate metrics ( e.g., leg stiffness) that have been correlated with running economy. (In fact, I have created one chart that compares your self-selected step rate/length against that which is theoretically optimal.)

(Note: In addition to what is listed in my signature, I am a consultant for Stryd, as well as for a grant application to USATF.)

I'm just interested in a list of best efforts based on custom time or distances across activities.

I downloaded WKO4 for Mac, can't figure it out for the life of me. And my ISP blocks the education part of the site since it thinks its malware for some reason...

You can't import activities into the software right? You upload to your web account and then sync? Nothing happens when I press "Sync with traningpeaks.com" in WKO4...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can bring files directly into WKO4 - although syncing with a TP account can be handy for some, it is in no way required.

I can't help you with your ISP issues, but if you have specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. Please note, however, that I'm in the process of moving, so have even less free time than usual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Yes, you can bring files directly into WKO4 - although syncing with a TP account can be handy for some, it is in no way required.

I can't help you with your ISP issues, but if you have specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. Please note, however, that I'm in the process of moving, so have even less free time than usual.

OK I figured out you can drag and drop... Never did see an import option. Think I got it now, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get you started: since have created a new Athlete, try dragging-and-dropping a .fit file onto the program. It should be imported automatically. Next, click on your name in the LHE (left hand explorer), which will take you from the Athlete to the Workout level. Click on the workout you just imported to select it. You can utilize any of the default charts or reports to view. If/when you get that far, I will describe how to create a custom chart to find, e.g., your 10 best 5 km runs based on pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
To get you started: since have created a new Athlete, try dragging-and-dropping a .fit file onto the program. It should be imported automatically. Next, click on your name in the LHE (left hand explorer), which will take you from the Athlete to the Workout level. Click on the workout you just imported to select it. You can utilize any of the default charts or reports to view. If/when you get that far, I will describe how to create a custom chart to find, e.g., your 10 best 5 km runs based on pace.

Yup I can get workouts in now. Thanks for the help. I'll play around and probably figure it out but custom chart explanation would be nice :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will work on it around my honey-do list.

BTW, anybody want to buy a nice 3 / 2.5 in Ballwin, MO? I'll throw in the treehouse for free. ;)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jun 25, 16 17:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Will work on it around my honey-do list.

BTW, anybody want to buy a nice 3 / 2.5 in Ballwin, MO? I'll throw in the treehouse for free. ;)

No worries please don't spend much time. I'm not working on it now either, but I'll revisit and am pretty sure I can figure it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcnnr27 wrote:
Ale Martinez wrote:
mcnnr27 wrote:

Ah, cool, thanks! I'll try that out. In my version, I was trying to find, say, 5 minute intervals based on speed, but it would just pick 0-5min, 5-10min, 10-15, etc, etc. This looks more promising.

A feature you can also find useful to identify best efforts across activities and durations is the Daniels VDOT metric, there is an example chart using it you can download from the cloud, in Trends select View->Download Charts

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply