Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
I agree he looks beefy. My guess is he is one if those guys that can never looked shredded, still he looks significantly heavier than before. Though I think his 100 is going to be great. 48 low

Well, you really missed it on that one AJ. Lochte "only" managed a 49 low in the heats, then scratched from the semis. Looks like the 4 x 200 could be his only relay, but OTOH the coaches could decide to let Lochte, and perhaps Phelps also, swim in the prelims of both free relays, and then maybe in the finals if they do fast times in the prelims. :)

Except that FINA has instituted a 'you bring them; you swim them' rule for relay-only swimmers in Rio (unless certified injured or sick by a third party doctor) and USAS has already said they're going to bring everyone that qualifies under their selection criteria, so there may not be a way to do that depending on how the roster shakes out at the end of the week.
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
I agree he looks beefy. My guess is he is one if those guys that can never looked shredded, still he looks significantly heavier than before. Though I think his 100 is going to be great. 48 low

Well, you really missed it on that one AJ. Lochte "only" managed a 49 low in the heats, then scratched from the semis. Looks like the 4 x 200 could be his only relay, but OTOH the coaches could decide to let Lochte, and perhaps Phelps also, swim in the prelims of both free relays, and then maybe in the finals if they do fast times in the prelims. :)

Except that FINA has instituted a 'you bring them; you swim them' rule for relay-only swimmers in Rio (unless certified injured or sick by a third party doctor) and USAS has already said they're going to bring everyone that qualifies under their selection criteria, so there may not be a way to do that depending on how the roster shakes out at the end of the week.

OK, I remember that new rule but in theory the U.S. coaches could swim 4 in the prelims and then 4 diff in the finals, which implies 2 who were not in the top 6 at Trials. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
FLA Jill wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

OK, I remember that new rule but in theory the U.S. coaches could swim 4 in the prelims and then 4 diff in the finals, which implies 2 who were not in the top 6 at Trials. :)

And risk a repeat of Kazan.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I started the whole he looks fat thing about Lochte, which obviously didn't hurt his 100, but on the other hand Phelps looks like a Triathlete, he can't stay that cut all the way to Rio.

Didn't see the swim on video anywhere yet (I have trouble with this new fangled weeb), but I assume he looked good.
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He looked good through 150. Phelps and Shields were both hurting on the last 50.

http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/a04e4ad6-3868-42dd-ab43-51a01e26f47c/M200BFF.pdf

1 4 PHELPS Michael NBACMD 0.67 (1) 24.95 (1) 53.07 (1) 1:22.94 1:54.84 28.12 29.87 31.90
2 3 SHIELDS Tom CAL-PC 0.76 (2) 25.45 (2) 54.09 (2) 1:23.73 1:55.81 0.97 28.64 29.64 32.08
3 1 CONGER Jack NCAPPV 0.71 (4) 25.92 (4) 55.71 (8) 1:26.27 1:56.45 1.61 29.79 30.56 30.18
4 2 BENTZ Gunnar ABSCGA 0.75 (7) 26.31 (7) 56.00 (6) 1:26.22 1:56.46 1.62 29.69 30.22 30.24
5 6 KALISZ Chase NBACMD 0.72 (6) 26.29 (6) 55.87 (6) 1:26.22 1:56.64 1.80 29.58 30.35 30.42
6 5 CLARK Pace ABSCGA 0.62 (3) 25.87 (3) 55.30 (3) 1:25.68 1:56.66 1.82 29.43 30.38 30.98
7 7 HARTING Zach UOFLKY 0.69 (8) 26.59 (8) 56.21 (5) 1:25.97 1:56.92 2.08 29.62 29.76 30.95
8 8 SELISKAR Andrew CAL-PC 0.65 (5) 25.97 (5) 55.85 (4) 1:25.81 1:58.34 3.50 29.88 29.96 32.53

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/usa-swimming-trials-day-5-prelims-heat-sheets-lochte-not-attempting-double/

Singinficant scratches for prelims today.

Lochte out of the 200back

Dwyer and Prenot out of the 200IM

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or did he have a big enough lead so he "coasted in"
Last edited by: B.McMaster: Jun 30, 16 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Or did we have a big enough lead so he "coasted in"

No, he was dying. Both of them were. It was plain to see on the TV, stroke was shortening up quite a bit.

The press conference afterwards he even talked about the piano on his back in the last 50.

http://asaptext.com/asap_media/media/103/466/browse_file.php?browse_file_name=./transcripts/9074.html

Q. Could you describe that last 50?
MICHAEL PHELPS: Awful! All you gotta say. No, it's -- honestly, I said to Bob, I said I wanted to be a 1:22 at the 150, and I was. I haven't felt great in the water but, you know, it's -- this is -- like I said, I'm checking a box off, being able to get on the team. We have a little over thirty days to prepare ourselves for the next time that we race, and Bob and I have talked about some things that we probably can change between now and then and just move forward.

By no means am I happy about going a 1:54, but I'm happy to have the opportunity to represent my country at the Olympic Games.

Q. Your relationship with this event, the 200 Fly, everybody talks about it was your first Olympic event in 2000, but not only there. When you came back in 2014 you said, "I don't think I can do this one anymore." Can you just expand on the significance of you making the fifth Olympic Team in this event in the last couple of years?
MICHAEL PHELPS: Like you said, this was the first event I made the Olympics in 2000, and we've had some good races and not so good races in this event in our Olympics history. In 2014 we weren't really sure what really was going on so, you know, this being a little slower than what I went last summer, pretty much a 150 was pretty much there, and then I don't know what happened the last 50. I was just praying to hit the wall first or second.

BOB BOWMAN: It wasn't 50, it was like the last 20.

MICHAEL PHELPS: The piano felt pretty hard, and this is an event that Bob and I have worked on for so many years. Bob has worked on for maybe 16 years, and I've maybe worked hard --

BOB BOWMAN: Eight.

MICHAEL PHELPS: Eight to 10. Being able to have this event, this is an event my sister swam as well, so it's something that's very special to the family and, you know, just looking forward to hopefully swimming faster than what I swam here.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 30, 16 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's on WR pace, if it's 2003.

But time sure flies (terrible pun)
He has held this record for 15 years, son of a gun.
I keep forgetting how special he is.
Last edited by: phog: Jun 30, 16 6:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going back to Shields, he said in his post race interview that one of the reasons he got in was because everyone was counting him out. He was no-one's pick to make it in the 200, and he was pissed.

Gotta like that attitude!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I though shields was better off going for the 100 free, especially after conger looked so good in the 200 free..... ( a small example of why you cannot extrapolate one swim to another. Based on his 200 free I would have out Conger at 1:53 in the 200 fly).

I think some of the scratches have not made sense but Lochte out of the 200 back sure does. And Lochte needs to perform the "middle out" on Prenot and Dwyer because he wasn't going to beat both of them in the 200 IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam a 200 fly

once
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
I swam a 200 fly

once

I was a 200 flyer in university.

No one ever accused me of being smart. And that event kills brain cells.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been a big shields fan. So glad he's in. But I didn't see a post interview w/him on nbc. They just interviewed the goat and that's it I think. Too bad really cuz shields loves doing the interviews. Would have loved to see what he could do in a 100 free also (can only be better than what we currently have going).
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
I've always been a big shields fan. So glad he's in. But I didn't see a post interview w/him on nbc. They just interviewed the goat and that's it I think. Too bad really cuz shields loves doing the interviews. Would have loved to see what he could do in a 100 free also (can only be better than what we currently have going).

https://swimswam.com/tom-shields-im-excited-next-months-video/

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, let's see what happens in the final of the 100 free tonight.

I do think Dressel has the potential to be really fast, and I was counting Feigen out before the meet started, but maybe I shouldn't. Ervin probably doesn't have any more speed than he's showing now, but who knows...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing is that Shields is one of those weird guys who swims fly almost as fast as free.

According to Swimrankings.net, his 100 free PB is a 49.41, set about a week after his 100 fly PB of 51.03 in 2015.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [shaunylw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shaunylw wrote:
We wouldn't have an NBA, NFL or the majority of the MLB if we ban athletes for doing dumb things.

And that would be a problem because......?

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Morosov lit up ncaa's then was "ok" at lcm. Talking 400 free relay, the US needs a flat sub-48 from Caleb. Adrian can do that, but who else can even do a flying sub-48 out of those guys? Phelps maybe.

Hope we get more out of tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Phelps has sub 48 in him anymore.

Looking at the splits, Ervin and Feigen both had really good speed in the first 50, Ervin split a 22.77 and Feigen a 23.11. With another month to go to Rio, can they build enough endurance to just hang on a little better in the last 25m?

I don't know much about Held, but a 48.48 flat start indicates that he has the potential to go 47.99 on a flying start.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 30, 16 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are saying Phelps isn't rested, but yeah, who knows what he can split, but I think as of right now I'd put him on the relay. Just my opinion of course, but as of right now I'd go Dressel, Phelps, Conger, and Adrian in that order. We need 3 guys under 47.7 or 6, and Adrian to hopefully anchor a 46.8 or 9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing I remember about Held is he went a 41.80 +/- .02 4 times in 1 day at NCAAs this year (I really thought that was remarkable). So it probably wont be him adding time tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
People are saying Phelps isn't rested, but yeah, who knows what he can split, but I think as of right now I'd put him on the relay. Just my opinion of course, but as of right now I'd go Dressel, Phelps, Conger, and Adrian in that order. We need 3 guys under 47.7 or 6, and Adrian to hopefully anchor a 46.8 or 9.

Not sure they'd be allowed to. That's at least 2 guys who didn't qualify individually for the 100. Assuming that it's Dressel and Adrian who get the individual 100 free spots, they'd better hope that 2 guys in the 3-6 slots take the 50 free spots. If that doesn't happen, then the prelim relay will have to be loaded with whomever gets 3-6, and the 4x100 is top heavy. A lot of countries will swim their "A" relay both morning and night, maybe one suibstitution, and the US won't make the final if they swim the "B" team.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next