Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody make/use a spacer to help correctly mount your rear track/TT-style bike wheels?
Quote | Reply
I've had a recurring mechanical in my triathlons over the years - at least 3 of them.

It's due to the track-style horizontal dropouts on my Cervelo P2. I try and clamp the rear skewer as tight as I can make it, but this time around, coming out of T1 was a very steep hill, and while hammering out of saddle to climb it as quickly as possible, I once again managed to 'suck' the rear wheel into the frame, overcoming the small positional screws yet again.

I realized something was wrong pretty quickly when I hit the flat, and felt like I was pushing hard at was barely hitting 19mph on the flat - pulled over and sure enough, wheel was sucked into the frame.

Remounting it after your limiter screws on the frame are sheared/goofy is a bit challenging, and I've replaced and rejiggered them at least 3 times with replacements screws and even bolts to hold them in place, but even those have gotten stripped.

I was thinking the easiest way to deal with this might to be to just have a small piece of plastic (like a cut up credit card layered on itself) made to just the right width to use as a spacer to mount the wheel - just shove this thing between the frame and the wheel, and then tighten down the skewer. You could conceivably just outright remove the (useless) limiter screws so you don't have to worry about stripping them again, and importantly, if you do encounter wheelsuck in a race/ride because you inadvertently didn't tighten the skewer enough, you could just bust out that tiny piece of plastic and remount your wheel without worry. (It's otherwise a bit dicey to mount it again without the limiter screws to center the wheel correctly.)

Anyone try this? Just curious - seems like an easy fix for an annoying problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make/use a spacer to help correctly mount your rear track/TT-style bike wheels? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have a piece of aluminum machined to fill the slot.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make/use a spacer to help correctly mount your rear track/TT-style bike wheels? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planet X uses them for their exocet 2 model. Not sure if they sell them separately but you could call them. In the U.S. they are in Oregon.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make/use a spacer to help correctly mount your rear track/TT-style bike wheels? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As soon as I started to read the post I was going to say what my Exocet 2 had fitted.

I can't see any reason why they couldn't be fettled a little to fit other frames - at the very least, show the design to a local machine shop and throw some beer tokens at them :-)

Give us a shout if pictures would help ;-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have these. They came with a chinese frame I had a few years back. I've seen other similar one's on the interwebs.[/url][/img]
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make/use a spacer to help correctly mount your rear track/TT-style bike wheels? [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had wheel slip in my P2, but if I had an issue I wouldn't think twice about putting a small piece of wood in the dropout that's the correct length to keep the wheel the correct distance from the frame. Just like the metal spacers above, only less expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surly Monkey Nuts

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make/use a spacer to help correctly mount your rear track/TT-style bike wheels? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those Surly Monkey nUts look promising! I just don't know if they'd fit a Cervelo...they seem to made for Surlys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get screws long enough that they bottom out but provide the length necessary. Or Use loctite. Or try a stronger rear skewer.

There are thousands of P2s on the road and if this were a prevalent problem, there'd be a recall. You're probably doing something wrong or there is something about your frame/screws that is causing problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make/use a spacer to help correctly mount your rear track/TT-style bike wheels? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are the Exocet mk 1 spacers : http://www.planetx.co.uk/...t-spacers-for-exocet

I can't find the mk 2 versions on their site, but I can't find the mech hanger either ... However I wanted a spare one and they guy on the other end of the phone found the part number (and they had stock) in about five seconds flat - might be worth a call ? :-)

The mk 2 versions are a neater design. They secure by a screw that can only been seen when the wheel is removed and you look directly up the dropout from the back of the bike.

I haven't seen what you have with my own eyes but from the comments, it sounds like the mk 2 spacer might slot straight in with minimal / zero mods ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make/use a spacer to help correctly mount your rear track/TT-style bike wheels? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A BMX chain tension adjuster might work and surly also makes something called the Hurdy Gurdy that might work.

FWIW - I occasionally do 1000 watt sprints on my P2 and I have never had a problem with the wheel moving.
Quote Reply