Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Austria or Frankfurt
Quote | Reply
Which would you choose, and why? I am trying to decide between these two for next summer as the first part of a long-ish vacation to Europe. I understand that they sell out quickly so I need to decide soon.

The races are a week apart so the timing is a wash.

I have heard the logistics of traveling to Frankfurt may be easier, but it's not nearly as nice of a vacation spot as Klagenfurt.

Any thoughts on which is easier for my support crew who will also make the trip?

Is there a notable difference in the cost of hotels, restaurants, etc.?

Klagenfurt seems to be a slightly more challenging course but I can't really tell for sure based on the youtube videos I have watched. Anyone know how they compare?

How does the overall race week and race day atmosphere compare?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
Which would you choose, and why? I am trying to decide between these two for next summer as the first part of a long-ish vacation to Europe. I understand that they sell out quickly so I need to decide soon.
The races are a week apart so the timing is a wash.
I have heard the logistics of traveling to Frankfurt may be easier, but it's not nearly as nice of a vacation spot as Klagenfurt.
Any thoughts on which is easier for my support crew who will also make the trip?
Is there a notable difference in the cost of hotels, restaurants, etc.?
Klagenfurt seems to be a slightly more challenging course but I can't really tell for sure based on the youtube videos I have watched. Anyone know how they compare?
How does the overall race week and race day atmosphere compare?
Thanks in advance.

I can't speak about Frankfurt but Austria is an awesome event. The course has some hills but they have short (steeper) approaches and long descents. My fastest race ever. The race vibe is excellent with tons of spectator support. Klagenfurt is a resort town with lots to do.
We flew in through Venice, Italy and took a train to Klagenfurt. Made it east to include a vacation in Italy post race. We used Ken Glah's travel service. Excellent.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great information, thanks! I am leaning toward Austria but my main concern was being able to get a decent hotel in a smaller town like that. It looks like Endurance Sports Travel has rooms for relatively cheap. That may be the way to go if they have a similar offering for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first choice in Klagenfurt would be this one:

http://www.seeparkhotel.at

Prices don't look much different from what Endurance Sports Travel has to offer.

Klagenfurt is a tourist place, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to find decent accomodation, unless you are accustomed to a personal butler on your vacations. I travel a fair bit to Austria both in Summer and Winter and I found the quality of accomodation very good in almost all places I stayed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankfurt is not a very interesting location. I wouldn't recommend it for tourism to be honest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done both

Frankfurt's pluses are

• easier logistics (except for the race itself, see below)
  • cheaper hotels
  • better run course, IMO. Flat, fast, with all traffic going one way at almost all points - so no tight-spots
  • better swim course - Open and easy. No problems. (See Austria's minuses below)

Frankfurt's minuses are
  • More difficult bike course than is advertised with more hills and some tough winds, plus a cobble section with a curve that sucks in the rain (one pro crashed out my year)
  • Swim is in different area from the bike/run.
  • Frankfurt is not a terribly fun place

Austria's pluses are
  • Swim/bike/run are all in one place. No transits to worry about.
  • Better bike course. More climbs than Frankfurt but I still biked better there than at Frankfurt.
  • Gorgeous area, nicer to stay in afterwards
  • The run takes you through the old town area where all the people are out eating and cheering you
  • Run is flat.

Austria's minuses are
  • Difficult logistics. We had to fly to Vienna, then take another flight to Klagenfurt. We used Endurance Sports Travel and they were great but it would have been difficult without them.
  • The run course has some tight spots where it's tough to pass.
  • The swim is fine except for the end. For the last few hundred meters, they funnel you into a canal that is simply not wide enough.
  • The bike does have some tough climbs
  • The spectators seem to think that the porta-potties on the run course are there for them. I had to go by 3 sets of them because they were being used by spectators. (OK, that's just me bitching, not Austria's fault...)

All in all, if I had to go back to one of them, I would pick Austria.
Last edited by: JoeO: May 29, 16 16:33
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info, thanks guys. It still sounds like Austria using EST is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are there on vacation you can always fly I to Munich, hire a car and drive down through the Alps stopping off for a day or two, there are some great roads to cycle and trails to run on to keep loose pre race.

Austria is great for the support crew, would definitely recommend the Seepark hotel, it is the official race hotel and not too pricey. You could always stop a little further out, I stopped at the Wiedenhof it is a short walk to transition and on the bike course (for the support crew).

I have booked through Nirvana Europe not sure if you can book through them.

Enjoy, Austria is a fab great race (usually takes a day or so two sell out).
Last edited by: Baggie bird_rj: May 30, 16 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klagenfurt is tougher logistically, but I'd argue a much nicer race... just being in the mountains and all.
I second the reco to fly to Munich. Car rental in Germany is the cheapest in Europe (AFAIK).
If you go with KLM through Schipol, Ljubljana might be a good option.

It also depends where you want to vacation after. I prefer the Mediterranean... Italy, Slovenia, Croatia are all within a single day drive of Klagenfurt.

From Frankfurt... it's a long drive to and through the Alps to the ocean. Lots of cool things to see in central Europe though.

Also, there is Challenge Roth, just south of Nuremburg, if you can get in. I don't think any race quite compares to Roth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austria isn't logistically difficult at all. Fly into Munich, get a car, drive about 3hrs - 3 1/2 hrs along some of the most beautiful alpine roads, then arrive. Lots of hotels at Klag, but we stayed in Krumpendorf which is like 10 mins on the bike along the lake to get to race HQ. And chuffing beautiful.

Lake Worthersee is amazing. Swimming in mineral water. Summer holiday hot with snow capped alps around you. PERFECT smooth roads. Flat run with incredible local support. Food mainly big plates of meat and cold beer.

I liked it so much I'm trying to get permission to go back.

Swim is great, water incredible. Mass start my year so a bit bonkers, not sure what they do now. Advice.. If you do this race, go for a practice swim jumping in from the bar by the entrance to the canal. Swim out a bit, then turn round and take a mental photograph.. will help in the race. Swimming I the canal is interesting!! My support crew were even able to pick me out and get a few snaps!

Bike is fast, but not flat and not boring. Smooth smooth traffic free roads. Fun climbing up Rupertiberg which is short and sweet but you get a nice long payback down to the lake, 2 laps.

Run is awesome along the lake and then out into town, sort of a pair of out and backs in a kind of figure 8 which you do twice. Ring the bell!! (you'll find out!) It was a hot hot year when I did it and all the local residents were out at the end of their driveways cooling us down with their garden hoses!

The whole town gets behind the event, it is a great day out.

Album from my (debut IM - so forgive the poor aero position! ) if you want to get a feel. Very hot year, first and only non wetsuit swim I gather, whicheck didn't do me any favours.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjAAVNXY

I stayed in Park Apartements Lach in Krumpendorf which was ace. Free access to lakeside bathing area for swim practice. Kept my bike in my apartment. Chap who owned it (owns it..?) about a 9 1/2 hrs guy in his day, knows his stuff and into the sport.

Lots of options in Klag itself as above.

If you still have any legs after the event then ride up the Villacher Alpenstrausse. Otherwise drive it. Stunning!

Did I mention I was cheered on by one Chrissie Wellington?! Like crazy legs crane waving a GB flag around she was.

Does it sound like I loved it?

Jealous. Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Klagenfurt is tougher logistically, but I'd argue a much nicer race... just being in the mountains and all.
I second the reco to fly to Munich. Car rental in Germany is the cheapest in Europe (AFAIK).
If you go with KLM through Schipol, Ljubljana might be a good option.

It also depends where you want to vacation after. I prefer the Mediterranean... Italy, Slovenia, Croatia are all within a single day drive of Klagenfurt.

From Frankfurt... it's a long drive to and through the Alps to the ocean. Lots of cool things to see in central Europe though.

Also, there is Challenge Roth, just south of Nuremburg, if you can get in. I don't think any race quite compares to Roth.

Thanks, car rental in Germany sounds like the way to go. After the race, I will most likely travel to Florence or Rome, then back up through Switzerland to Germany.

I am shooting for a Legacy spot for Kona - Roth is first on the list after that happens.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich - awesome pics. Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
Thanks, car rental in Germany sounds like the way to go. After the race, I will most likely travel to Florence or Rome, then back up through Switzerland to Germany.

I am shooting for a Legacy spot for Kona - Roth is first on the list after that happens.

I always recommend going for a Mercedes C Class estate (wagon). No charge GPS, great diesel fuel mileage, gobs of power, and enough room for two adults, bike boxes and luggage.

You'll need to purchase vignette's for Austria and Switzerland motorways if you have German plates. I would recommend Slovenia too. Beautiful country. I recommend the Four Points Sheraton in Ljubljana and a trip to Postojna castle and caves.

Travel times in summer are always longer than expected through the Alps. There will be construction, there will be heavy traffic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think IM Austria will be on the 25th of June and Frankfurt on the 2nd of July next year? Does anyone know if Frankfurt will be the European championship again next year?

Edited to add it looks like Frankfurt is July 9th: http://www.ironman.com/...r.aspx#axzz4AGvvXi2d

So I wonder if that means Austria is July 2nd
Last edited by: Tri Bread: May 31, 16 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Ljubjana and Lake Bled - fantastic trip! I never saw the castle or caves though - good enough reason to go back.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Austria...
Swim is great, water incredible. Mass start my year so a bit bonkers, not sure what they do now.

Rolling swim start as of this year.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Frankfurt 3 times, Klagenfurt once.

Both races are brilliant. Frankfurt is organised very well with very good support at feed stations. Your support crew can see you 8 times on the run, if the stay at one of the bridges. Cycling can be tough with headwind and many corners. Many hotel options with transport to the swim start in teh morning by the organisers.

Klagenfurt is also organised well, a bit more relaxed and support at aid stations good but not as good as Frankfurt. Scenery is great. Accommodation at Seepark hotel is best. Or take the campsite opposite the Strandbad.

I would do them both... ;-)

Slightly prefer Frankfurt because of organisation. But Klagenfurt is cool too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great choices! I've done both races (Frankfurt 2x). I'm coming from London so both are relatively easy. Here is a rough overview:

- Location/Ease of travel - Frankfurt is easier. Lots of direct and relatively cheap flights. The race finishes in city center. Though, the swim start is pretty far away, thus you need to get on a shuttle on Saturday to drop off bikes. For spectators, it's annoying to get to swim start then to the run finish (my wife didn't go to swim start the 2nd time). Klagenfurt has a number of airports within a few hours drive, but you need to rent a car, eg: Lubjiana. The entire race goes through the same spot, so it's great for spectators.
- Fun for family/vacation - Austria. The lake is amazing and is mineral green! The swim start/finish is basically on a beach where you can hangout on the sand and relax. Entire race is in one place, so super easy when you are there.
- Course/Kona Qualification - Lot more spots for KQ in Frankfurt. For some reason Austria times are faster but the course is "hillier." If the Austria bike course was in reverse it would be much slower. Basically, there are some steepish hills, but a lot of steady downhills where you can get a ton of time/speed. Frankfurt is a bit of a grind. There are no major hills, but you have to stay aero and rip which could be tiring. Both courses have flat runs. 3 loops for Austria and Frankfurt so spectators can see you often. Frankfurt swim isn't great. Crowded, murky, and may not be wetsuit friendly if it's hot. Plus, it's a bit far from the city centre, so you have to leave early. Austria swim is one of the best there is, but it funnels to a small canal on the last 800m, so if you are MOP, then it'll be crowded.
- Support - Both are amazing. Totally efficient, well-staffed, and well-stocked. When I finished Frankfurt in a little over 10 hours, I was showered and had some great food and with my family within 20 min.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Frankfurt 3 times and Austria once.

Both great races - but I'd go back to Austria again - the lake is superb. Whereas Frankfurt is a big city and you have to trek out of town to the lake. And taxi drivers haven't heard of it. Last time we went we ended up following the taxi in front through some forest tracks that I'm pretty sure weren't for cars...

AU is definitely the hillier ride though.

Either event is good - IMDE is run like clockwork and the finish square is beautiful.

Travel to Austria wasn't too hard. I flew into Munich and caught a train the rest of the way. About 5 hours I think but the scenery was gorgeous.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Do you think IM Austria will be on the 25th of June and Frankfurt on the 2nd of July next year? Does anyone know if Frankfurt will be the European championship again next year?

Edited to add it looks like Frankfurt is July 9th: http://www.ironman.com/...r.aspx#axzz4AGvvXi2d

So I wonder if that means Austria is July 2nd

Yes, it looks like Austria is July 2. This showed up on their website today: http://eu.ironman.com/...r.aspx#axzz4AL1Dh2ih

Sounds like it will be a quick sell out the way this is structured. Does anyone know how long it took to sell out this year's race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it sells out in a day!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as it doesn't sell out in minutes I should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I've been to Ljubjana and Lake Bled - fantastic trip! I never saw the castle or caves though - good enough reason to go back.

Slovenia is WAY underrated. I have yet to see Bled, but next trip for sure.
I have also spent a couple days on the coast in Portoroz. Not as nice as Croatian coastal towns but decent.
Apparently the mountain biking in Slovenia is off the charts too.

This summer is France with my wife though. I hope it's as good as our vacations farther East.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Slovenia is WAY underrated. I have yet to see Bled, but next trip for sure.
I have also spent a couple days on the coast in Portoroz. Not as nice as Croatian coastal towns but decent.
Apparently the mountain biking in Slovenia is off the charts too.

This summer is France with my wife though. I hope it's as good as our vacations farther East.

Agreed. Slovenia is awesome. Was there last September and will be going back this October - thinking about flying into Vienna and making the 3.5hour drive to Ljubjana. Spent the day in Bled last year - awesome. I searched for this thread because I'd really like to do Ironman Austria. It's already sold out so maybe in 2018
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria or Frankfurt [Jason A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had really intended to do Austria after receiving comments in this thread but after researching travel costs and amenities of the various locations, I decided to go with Nice rather than Austria or Frankfurt. That bike course in Nice and the ocean swim will be new and exciting for me. Austria will remain on the list for subsequent years though.
Quote Reply