Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Seems nitpicky."

i am nitpicky. at least about stuff i care about.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in my opinion felt has always been great about the basic bikes it makes, and then not timely about its accessories. it has ALWAYS dragged out the lead time in making needed stem options for the bikes it makes.

felt spent a lot of bullets making a 110mm stem for the original IA to accommodate one star athlete (Rinnie) and as i've written before i think a number of athletes haven't normalized properly for snub-nosed saddles, and therefore ride too far forward. i think it's possible this 110mm stem fixes the problem you get when you ride too far forward and therefore need a longer cockpit. better to have spent those bullets making a second and maybe a third extension shape, tho i'll admit that a 100mm stem is probably needed for the IA. but that stem is not really a thematic fit for that bike. i don't really understand that stem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i assume that the stems that fit are those with sufficient clearance (the stem is nested inside the leading edge of top tube storage). if you replace this nicely done stem with another, that means a headset top cap, it's no longer flush with the storage behind it. doable, but not as clean as the original stem. to me, this means a hack, just like you can always put a steerer stub on a speed concept. that's a hack.
I like your "tweener" metaphor for the IAx. I think of it as a superbike, because it has the latest approach to aero design, minus the expensive carbon specs. But it does lack a few of the final differences from its tweener state to full super.

Here is my eventual endgame for my IA16. I really like the Tririg Alpha X setup on this bike, and it does look like it integrates very well. It gets it very close to the super line (along with better brakes up front).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the IA, IAx, and PR5 share virtually identical geometries.
They share virtually identical geometry at the bigger sizes. But 10 or 15mm or 20mm differences at the small end of the spectrum is often the difference between me hitting my pad stack (545-550mm) or not being able to (565-570). This may not be applicable to the OP, but because a) I have an aggressive position and b) I am at the small end but slightly taller and I think a good bit longer (475mm) than the 650 set, so to me it matters.

Slowman wrote:
i would put it differently. i'd say the PR6 is taller because of its integrated stem that cannot go below a given height.
Agreed...My way of thinking about these things is more as follows: OK here is the frame or frame/integrated stem coordinates, now if I add my after market front end to same, can I get there? I personally use the Alpha C with the extensions under the bar, because that's the lowest stack front end I could find, and I still can't quite hit my ideal stack on my 51 B2 (I'm somewhere around 560 right now). If I had the money for a small IAx, I'd pick one up. But I believe I'd still be stuck at a 560 stack with the small IA FRD/1/2. I realize that most people don't think this way, but most people also don't have a problem hitting their stack with a stock setup. I do. In general, I am trying to hold the (non integrated part of the) front end equal in assessing these bikes.

Slowman wrote:
i would also say the PR6 and the IAx share a common virtue (vice): they have medium to long stem that can't be made shorter.
Yeah, although the PR6 stem is really a stem that can't be swapped...it's truly integrated. The IAx at least has after market options that work seamlessly (Tri Rig etc.) whereas with the PR6, you're stuck. With the PR6, consequently, you're also stuck with a junction box placement disaster. The calpac storage in the IAx is superior here. The junction box storage inside a Tri Rig stem is equally superior.

Slowman wrote:
"the PR5 isn't in the same class as those other two in my opinion"

i think the PR5 is a brilliant bike. it is aero, light, easy to adjust, easy to put in a bike box. it can be easily retrofitted with the Q Box (assuming the Q Box is in stock when you want to retrofit it).
I don't understand how everything you said above doesn't also apply to the IAx and/or the B2. The IAx has Q Box bolts too, and soon Felt will release their own storage jawn. I'll give you that the IAx isn't light, and the B2 (at least my 2013 B2) doesn't have the Qbox bolts or top tube bolts.

Slowman wrote:
I keep track of all the bike sales at all of our Road Shows. QR is so far the best selling bike, but this is partly due to which Road Show dealers sell which brands. still, QR #1, Cervelo #2, Felt #3. But, Felt didn't start activating at Road Shows until we were about halfway thru, so, you take a shop like Rocklin Endurance, they've been selling Felt after Felt after Felt since the Road Show.
I have no idea what this means. Sales don't have anything to do with quality. See: the number of Rudy Project helmets at the Kona count. Triathletes are consumerist sheep.

Slowman wrote:
these all have their virtues, but i think QR is (finally) in the same class as Felt and Cervelo.
We can just agree to disagree here, because I don't think QR is in the same league. Those frames aren't as fast or as refined as the offerings from Felt in Cervelo, in my assessment.
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tririg gets way more business than it should, and this is not a knock on tririg. the cold fact about this aerobar system is that a low position has been abandoned by the industry. i'll do probably 150 fits this spring, at Road Shows, and 15 to 25 of these fits will end up with the following prescription: start with the bar, then choose the bike based on the bar. this, because no bike really gets the rider low enough.

what i mean is, with a 5'11" to 6'2" guy needing a bike that EVERYBODY makes with 540mm of stack (or taller), and with EVERY bar company making a pad height of 60mm (with very few exceptions), there is no solution for 20 percent of the market.

now, let me back up. it's not really 20 percent of the ACTUAL market. it's 20 percent of the theoretical market, and maybe more like 30 or 35 percent, if these people were fitted properly aboard their bikes.

so, yes, between a third and a fifth of all riders cannot ride today's tri bikes the way they are spec'd, if those riders were properly positioned. this means tririg becomes an imperative. or enve. take your pick. either way, get ready to fork over $750 or up.

all aerobar companies seem to have capitulated to bad fitters, likewise bike makers, and it would be okay if only one had capitulated. but because both capitulated at the same time there are no options except the two above if you really do need a lower position (and many of you who don't think you do, you nevertheless do, or would if you were fitted properly).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have no idea what this means. Sales don't have anything to do with quality."

right. but i'm not the one shitting on QR here. what i'm saying is, felt, cervelo, QR, they're all at these Road Shows, QR isn't getting the sales because they're the clear market share leader. they're #3 out of these 3. they're getting the sales because they make a very good bike. better than the others? no. holding their own with the others? yes.

i agree with your statements about the limitations of the PR6 stem, obviously, as i pointed them out. i therefore often end up recommending the PR5 in its place (altho there are moments when the PR6 does solve a particular fit problem).

i'm also a very big fan of the slice at its current price. just not with its spec'd aerobar. all of these bikes have their virtues. all of them are vulnerable to certain deserved criticisms.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [jhudsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My IA10 has arrived in DK....but let me say this...have an idea of what bike brands you want based on whatever your criteria is (brand/price/color/features/spec) and then get a bike fit. There is nothing worse than some of the horror stories I have heard someone buying a super bike and then having to spend all kinds of time to get the bike to fit them. I started of with wanting a Felt IA, then Cervelo and then if those didn't fit a Specialized (which I really dislike). I went to the bike fitter and I am so happy I read a lot and listened to the advice I had read...bike fit first!! I thought I could fit a 58 Cervelo..no way.....Shiv L...no way. I need a 61 in Cervelo and XL in Shiv and we looked at Giant Trinity (absolutely not). With Cervelo I need 61 and Hi-V etc. Funny enough I was tempted to buy a Cervelo P5 in size 58 because I saw a left over at a good price and I can only imagine how mad I would have been if I had bought the bike and then either had to go through swapping a whole bunch of stuff to get it to fit or selling at less than what I bought it because it didnt fit. I rode on a loaner (B16) while I waited for the IA to arrive (thank you Felt Denmark!!). I would suggest if you are going to do triathlon and you aren't really going to do TT buy a Tri bike which already is built for triathlon geometry. If you do get a Felt B series ...watch out for that saddle....3 hours of suffering on the first ride and then one week of soreness you know where!!! Swapped to a Cobb saddle...next ride, no discomfort at all......you have been warned. :)> Good luck and happy riding!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
...between a third and a fifth of all riders cannot ride today's tri bikes the way they are spec'd, if those riders were properly positioned. this means tririg becomes an imperative. or enve. take your pick....you really do need a lower position (and many of you who don't think you do, you nevertheless do, or would if you were fitted properly).
Is your general summary from above that many people are probably fit too high, and the the industry generally building bikes that are designed toward higher fits?

That makes sense. I was a road racer in the 80s and early 90s, and I just started riding a tri bike this year to do my first HIM in April. I have a total of about 700 miles (mostly indoor) in an aero position on a tri bike. I got a fit from a person whom I believe is one of the best in my area, and it felt pretty aggressive when I bought the bike. However, after riding some, I believe that I can now feel comfortable a little lower. So, when I go back for a fit follow-up, lowering the bars will be a priority. Fortunately, I think I have a 40mm spacer on the Bayonet 3, so I have lots of room.

My desire for the Alpha X is mostly driven by man-lust for the cosmetics and slight aero improvements over the Bayonet 3. I probably cannot ride effectively at the low stack yet, but I will get there as I get more comfortable on the bike. (And, this is pretty far down on my priority list, after I invest in a power meter, some swimming lessons, and aero wheels.)
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Is your general summary from above that many people are probably fit too high, and the the industry generally building bikes that are designed toward higher fits?"

yes, that's exactly what i think. mind, i don't mind the bike geometries. i mind that there are few good low aerobar options.

in the old days we used to build our bikes up from scratch. frame, parts, wheels, bars, etc. for a number of reasons i think those days are coming back, and then i think we'll see this no longer be a problem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for an IA10 as well, and looking at the Felt Fit Calculator, it says to measure pad stack from BB center to the top of the armrest, not including the arm pad...how important is this? I don't really understand why, given that everyone is going to use an armpad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am interested by the IA bike as well. Probably an ia10 frameset as I have the wheels and a spare tririg brake. I am tempted to slap a force 1 groupset on it.
I am a little bit confused by the felt calculator. I currently ride a shiv 61 with a 130mm long stem and my saddle height (measured along the seat tube from the centre of bb) is 840mm. When I input in all the values, it doesnt return any option as if I was too tall for the bike (i am 195cm tall).
Is the felt ia not an option at all for me or would I be ok with an after market stem and bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

but none of these bikes are outliers. i'm building up a shiv right now, with a zipp vuka aero bar. now that is an outlier. i'm pretty much having to raise heaven and earth to get it to fit, because it's a tall geometry frame with a tall aerobar on a base bar that, as well as i can tell (and i might be wrong) does not accommodate the zipp undermount. so, i'm getting it to work, but not without a struggle. which i'll be writing about.

You're a sucker for punishment. I hope we're talking about a medium here. In which case
Normal Extension Clamp, Narrow Setting, Armrest Angle 12.5, Armrest Clamp Offset Rearward with a 110x-17 stem and a 9mm headset cover gets you:
Pad X: 458
Pad Y: 619
Pad Z: 208
Ext Z: 104
To rear of pads as usual

The low clamps won't work for you because of all the occluded positions.

Interestingly, as this is an IAx (and others) discussion. You can't achieve your position with the stock alloy bars and Tri155 stem as the trick for dealing with the deadspot removes the pad width options you'd require. 194mm is the closest that can be achieved (with extensions at 110mm). This is for a 54 as obviously the stack of the bars makes a bigger bike impossible.

As far as the adjustability of the bikes under discussion - I have seven (7) times as many configurations stored for the Profile J4 bar (with sensible stems/spacers and combos) as the IAx bar. Being able to change stems is a big advantage!

Now I just need a PR5 with CD0.1 geometry.
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
I currently ride a shiv 61 with a 130mm long stem and my saddle height (measured along the seat tube from the centre of bb) is 840mm. When I input in all the values, it doesnt return any option as if I was too tall for the bike (i am 195cm tall).
Is the felt ia not an option at all for me or would I be ok with an after market stem and bars?

Your saddle height is within range for the IAx
You should be able to get on an IAx with another stem and maybe bars although the Felt has less reach (once Stack is normalised) so you would be a long way off the front.
What are the Pad X and Y measurements you entered into the Felt calculator?

I have to ask how far forward your saddle is? Your position sounds very long
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My saddle nose (sitero) is 85mm behind the bb. Let me double check the x and y.

Edit: saddle height is 800, pad reach 520 and pad stack 700.

It does return options now with a frame 58. Must have been doing something wrong yesterday.
Last edited by: frenchieTT: May 28, 16 6:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
My saddle nose (sitero) is 85mm behind the bb. Let me double check the x and y.

Edit: saddle height is 800, pad reach 520 and pad stack 700.

It does return options now with a frame 58. Must have been doing something wrong yesterday.

Can you post a picture (or better yet a video) of this position? It sounds pretty bizarre
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will get a picture on the trainer tomorrow. Meanwhile this is a picture of the bike and the measures I have taken. This is an old shiv alloy frame. Stack and reach numbers for that frame are exactly the same as the 'normal' carbon shiv.

Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's the one with 565mm stack, 425mm reach. i've got it pretty well wrestled down but not without a lot of hand wringing.

look, nothing wrong with the bike, but there's the bike, and there's the bike for me. i'll photo it, write it up.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The zipp bars explain things a bit. The 120mm long pad lengthens your Pad X compared to the Felt bars when measured to centre.
And 85mm setback is sensible with a Sitero. I just like to check on the validity of the position before recommending bikes.

For the 58 IAx I calculate: Extensions outside bar clamp, Pad clamp 5mm from extension clamp, Spacer config: 30 plus Bridge, Pads in Column 3, Row 2 (assuming 100mm extension width and 210mm pad width)

That's based on a Pad X (to rear of pad) of 460 (or 502 in Felt calculator) and Pad Y (including cushion) of 700 (690 in Felt calc).

So it will fit you quite nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

The IA10 also allows tilting of the extensions and pads.

Sorry--rookie here, looking to pick up an IA14 or 16 within the coming weeks.

I was under the impression IAx extensions and pads could not be angled? Am I incorrect?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pads are attached to the extensions. You can rotate the extension on the base bar to whatever angle you want. (The angle of the pads will move with the extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhudsy wrote:
Wiggle.co.uk has 10% rather than 5% off for "gold" members, and 17 rather than 12 for platinum members. The PRFive is 30% off at the moment there.

I just pulled the pin on the last 56 on Wiggle. 17% discount and £105 topcashback, so a pretty good deal all in all! Only 1 58 left I think...
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size was your Kestrel? I am looking at moving to a Felt.

Thanks!

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [Black Slacks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kestrel was a 55. IA16 is 56. Reach is about the same but stack is a little lower on the IA. I get a better position on the IA.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply

Prev Next