Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel
Quote | Reply
Can someone recommend a very light, moderately portable/compact, high quality/high accuracy pump for travel purposes? I carry the Lezyne Pressure Drive on all rides, and it's amazing by the side of the road...not so amazing in a hotel room.

Similarly the other pumps I have are either too heavy/big (Silca SuperPista) or entirely inaccurate (Airtower 2) for travel and/or race travel. I have tried one of those Topeak ones with the fold out mini kickstand and it too is terrible. Something that could be velcro'd down to my top tube in my case (at a light weight) with a highly visible gauge would be key.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Lezyne Travel pumps are awesome! and small enough to fit in a carry on.

CNC Travel Drive

Steel Travel Drive

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was using the Lezyne Travel Floor Pump which works well, but sounds bigger than what you're looking for. I've gone to the Specialized Air Tool ComPak Floor Pump which packs down small and is a very well made pump. The downside is that it has an inline gauge that can be challenging to read. The gauge accuracy is also suspect, but I haven't tested it against my full size floor pump to verify.

The Lezyne Micro Drive Floor Pump would definitely meet your packing criteria. It doesn't appear to have a built-in gauge (I haven't used this pump).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I should have read better, didn't see the park about velcro to your top tube.

As far as travel pump goes, the Lezyne, For on the bike purposes though, I don't have a recommendation.

If the Pressure Drive works on the road, the travel pumps are great, small, lightweight, and accurate as far as I can tell.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use one of these with an added Presta chuck .... you can fill your tires while the bike is hanging in the garage or laying in the back of the truck.

Need to be able to charge the battery though ....

http://www.sears.com/...o=1&blockType=G1

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: May 21, 16 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this! Didn't even realize these things existed. I have spent the past
day trying to stuff my big floor pump into my suitcase for a race!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
Steel Travel Drive

This one looks pretty great...seems like at 60 cm long would be a tight squeeze in the carry on, but would be a good thing to throw in the bike case and secure to the top tube or down tube for travel. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends on if you follow the carry on guidelines to a t...

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We used these (I think) for travel. They worked with discs, etc.

http://www.topeak.com/...cts/Pumps/RoadMorphG

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a travel drive and a micro floor drive. I also have pressure drives on multiple bikes.

I took the travel drive in my checked luggage to a race last month. My only criticism is the hose is a bit short so you have to make sure the valve is fairly close to the pump. But for a travel pump I am willing to live with that.

The Micro floor drive is available with a gauge, but it inline with the hose. I'm not sure on its accuracy though. I havent actually used it yet so I can't comment on if its better than my pressure drive's. I assume since its bigger it will take less effort and strokes to get up to my preffered pressure.

If you are concerned with accuracy you might just want to get a standalone pressure guage so you can get consistent pressures with any pump. Its a little more inconvenient, but might be worth it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Specialized. It's what's in my bike case.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
jakers wrote:
Steel Travel Drive

This one looks pretty great...seems like at 60 cm long would be a tight squeeze in the carry on, but would be a good thing to throw in the bike case and secure to the top tube or down tube for travel. Thanks

Did you go with the Steel Travel Drive? If so, are you satisfied?

Currently trying to choose between Lenzyne's Steel or Aluminum (CNC) Travel Drive. I'd appreciate any insights on those pumps.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
The Lezyne Travel pumps are awesome! and small enough to fit in a carry on.

CNC Travel Drive

Steel Travel Drive

jake

Other than weight, what are the benefits of the aluminum version?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with the CNC Travel Floor Drive and it's really great. Stays in my car when I'm home and travels with me on trips/to races. Not cheap, and the "no loss" chuck took some getting used to, but beyond that awesome product all around.

https://www.amazon.com/...cp_api_mSU1ybR4SV3H7
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Why did you go with the CNC model (vs steel)?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Thanks. Why did you go with the CNC model (vs steel)?

Weight. The CNC model is quite a bit lighter. Everything else seemed more or less the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel with one of these: https://www.specialized.com/...ak-floor-pump/105425

I over-inflate and then bleed down the pressure with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/...tGauge/dp/B0051LQ0X4

It's not ideal but it works. I'm going to follow this thread to see if anyone else suggests a better combo.

Edit: just realized I was replying to an old thread. My bad.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 25, 17 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
I have a travel drive and a micro floor drive. I also have pressure drives on multiple bikes.

I took the travel drive in my checked luggage to a race last month. My only criticism is the hose is a bit short so you have to make sure the valve is fairly close to the pump. But for a travel pump I am willing to live with that.

Agreed the CNC Travel drive is the way to go. Worth noting that you can pretty easily get a regular length hose from Lezyne - easy to install, adds very little weight and makes it near as good as a regular floor pump
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a high quality 'tweener PUMP for travel [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 I was going to suggest just get the cheapest smallest pump and use that digital gauge with the bleed valve

GreenPlease wrote:
I travel with one of these: https://www.specialized.com/...ak-floor-pump/105425

I over-inflate and then bleed down the pressure with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/...tGauge/dp/B0051LQ0X4

It's not ideal but it works. I'm going to follow this thread to see if anyone else suggests a better combo.

Edit: just realized I was replying to an old thread. My bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick follow up; talk to me about the Pressure Drive. I'm in the market for a pump small enough for the jersey and strong enough to get the roadie rolling in an emergency. Lenzyne's Pressure Drive seems to fit the bill. True?

If so, would you recommend the small or medium? Alternatively, the Road Drive?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the Pressure Drive Small, Pressure Drive Medium, and large Road Drive (what I'm doing now). The PD small was too small -- too much effort (too many "pumps" really) to get the tires to adequate pressure on the side of the road. The PD Medium works well, and it's very compact, probably the best balance between size and utility -- it's also quite good for lower pressure offroad tires. But, you'd be hard pressed to get past 75-80 PSI on the road. When I flat at the beginning of a long ride and I use the thing, I'm fearful of a pinch flat the entire rest of the ride. So recently I have switched to the large Road Drive for that very reason. It sticks out of my jersey pocket quite a bit more, but it's thinner, so it sits in my center pocket next to my flat kit just fine. And you can get to 100 PSI on the side of the road without much trouble. If you are one of those Freds that mounts the pump on your frame, I guess that's another consideration in terms of what size works for you. But in general, the longer the cylinder the easier/more effective the job, and the inverse is also true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great feedback, thanks! Leaning towards the medium RD.

Scott
Quote Reply