Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Why do people keep throwing up participation numbers from local races to show that TRIATHLON participation is declining? Every single person here would stipulate to the fact that WTC is gobbling up market share, cratering local races/racing organizations at a staggering rate.

The ONLY empirical evidence to suggest that there are participation declines is the USAT data. Those declines are extremely modest (basically a flattening), as some have already mentioned. As an armchair observer of this industry, I will be really interested to see the latest figures from USAT, which will give us a much better sense of whether the ecosystem is actually contracting, or just shifting to being more WTC dominant.

Like any organization, I am sure they spin the data to reflect the sport in a positive light. Say for example that membership was previously 90,000 adults and 10,000 children, but grows to 80,000 adults and 25,000 children. They would be all over the press telling us membership was up from 100,000 to 105,000 without mentioning the drop in adult membership, and the drop in revenue since the kids only pay $10 per year. Without access to the detailed data, you can't say what is going on based on their numbers. The local participation counts are down all over and WTC isn't gobbling up local sprint tri market share, or even international distance races after their 5150 series belly flopped on the concrete.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The data and reporting actually really well detailed. You should take a look at the most recent report.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps Slowman can do an update on the last 2 years.....

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Tri_Finale_4322.html
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to Dan's 2014 report. I just finished reading it.

In the very last paragraph, he writes, "One of my health-of-triathlon bellweathers is the 32 year old L.A. Triathlon Series, Bill Fulton's races outside of Los Angeles on which a lot of us cut our teeth in the 1980s. They held their first race of the season 3 weeks ago. I looked at the results, and they had a 22 percent jump in finishers year over year."

Out of curiosity, I just checked the number of finishers at the L.A. Triathlon Series' first race of the season in the years since Dan mentioned the 22% increase over 2013. Take a look for yourself:

2013 - 344 finishers
2014 - 418 (up 22%)
2015 - 362
2016 - 251
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not good....its surprising that numbers have dropped so drastically for that race...what happened?

Is it a combination of??:

-ironman races sucking participants away from local races
-people doing less races because ironman is a long race
-millenals are not back filling the first time triathlons ranks for reasons stated earlier
-races jacked up entry fees during the recent boom years and now entries are a tad to high or people respond by racing less

I know I haven't done the local Lifetime triathlon because I thought they charged to much...this is my 31st year of triathlon and cant stomach the $125 entry for a sprint race when I have $70-80 sprint options. I dont want to support lifetimes expensive version
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if anyone posted this (http://www.runningusa.org/...urnTo=annual-reports) but open running race participation is also sliding in the last 2 years.

After more than two decades of consistent and often double-digit increases, the number of recreational athletes completing road races declined for the second straight year in 2015. The reduction was by a more significant margin than in 2014, when finisher totals edged down one percent.

Between 1990 and 2013, finisher totals skyrocketed from five million road race runners to over 19 million. For 2015, 17.1 million finishers were reported across all road race distances, a decrease of nine percent from the previous year.

Interestingly, they point out that OCR (obstacle course racing) has seen a precipitous decline
Tri has multiple barriers to entry. Most of us here are hooked. But novice folks look at tri and may never even bothering. First off you have to be able to swim. Then there is the cost of equipment for 3 sports, cost to travel to races, and time required to train. If we hope to see the sport rebound then we'll need to reduce those barriers. For novice racers a program with swim instruction and equipment rental might go a long way. I'd certainly want to support the club that offered that for others.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are forgetting:

$4 a day on Starbucks
$30-$40 a week on booze
a few hundred a year on shitty offlabel "designer" clothes
$600 Apple products because status, and $100 or so per year for screen replacements
etc etc etc

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: May 14, 16 20:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am doing the Auburn Triathlon today. They have more folks racing today than last year. Not the norm around here but great to see for a great race.
And we are NOT going to have rain or humidity or traffic issues. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justarunner -- I am requesting your presence on another thread. This one is about how triathlon bikes are inexpensive, and how it's actually quite affordable compared to the costs of storing my $10,000 crew boat at the boat house all season.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Did_the_Triathlon_bike_kill_triathlon%3F__P5957551/?page=-1

Last edited by: kileyay: May 26, 16 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local Apple Duathlon....been around forever
2014 203 finishers
2015 208 finishers
2016 159 finishers

Not good.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Local Apple Duathlon....been around forever
2014 203 finishers
2015 208 finishers
2016 159 finishers

Not good.....

Who said Duathlon is good? I sure did not. I was shocked to see last years Du Nationals only had 275 folks. But, I hope to be one of
them in Bend this year. Might not be quantity, but the quality will kick my butt. I would much rather be last in a race with a field of studs,
than first with .....

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

-ironman races sucking participants away from local races

I think this is a key issue. WTC has done a great job of making it "All about the Ironman", but in the process they are "eating their own young" so to speak. Cheaper local tris used to be a great farm system for the ironman races. I've noticed that in a lot of the local clubs there is less interest in racing local, and way more focus on the m-dot races.

That is fine for WTC but I think with the much higher time and cost barrier to entry they are fewer people getting "hooked" on triathlon vial local races, and a larger percentage of short term one-and done ironman types.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with WTC having sucked participants away from local races......people race the wtc's longer out of town races and that means race long/race less...

What WTC fails to understand is this is killing their feeder system.....I predict this will effect WTC numbers in a big way in the next 2 to 5 years......
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [vandave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vandave wrote:
Further to my post above, just throwing it out there of how to do a cheap race to appeal to the broader market.... An organizer could buy say 100 cheap bikes that go for $100 each. Yes, they exist. I know we spend that on water bottles, but google it. Let's say they only last 10 races, that's $10 a race (Realistically they last far longer). People trying it out now have a level playing field too because you all get the same bike. You also can wear any type of shoe because they have platform pedals. Do a pool swim of 100m, bike of 5km and a 3km run for the race...or whatever. With short distances, the logistics are easy, and hence low costs. It's also not so intimidating to newbs. It's distances that the average fit person can achieve with little prep. You also only would need to show up with a swim suit and running clothes because you have the bike and helmets sorted out. Do up a good YouTube video of how the race works and what you should do for training and I think you can get a lot of participants involved who otherwise might never try it. Give people some burgers, hotdogs and drinks afterwards to add a social element. I bet you could pull such a race off for a $50 entry fee. A group like USAT could try an experiment like this in a large market like LA or SF. Maybe it would be a good investments to 'tri' something new. It's in keeping with how a lot of marketing is done nowadays too. Things like computer apps are free to try or have limited features to give people a taste of the product. If we believe in the sport, maybe we need to find a way of giving more people a taste of it.
(Pink). Yeah, but who's going to pay for the drug testing? You can't have a triathlon without drug testing, can you?

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
vandave wrote:
Further to my post above, just throwing it out there of how to do a cheap race to appeal to the broader market.... An organizer could buy say 100 cheap bikes that go for $100 each. Yes, they exist. I know we spend that on water bottles, but google it. Let's say they only last 10 races, that's $10 a race (Realistically they last far longer). People trying it out now have a level playing field too because you all get the same bike. You also can wear any type of shoe because they have platform pedals. Do a pool swim of 100m, bike of 5km and a 3km run for the race...or whatever. With short distances, the logistics are easy, and hence low costs. It's also not so intimidating to newbs. It's distances that the average fit person can achieve with little prep. You also only would need to show up with a swim suit and running clothes because you have the bike and helmets sorted out. Do up a good YouTube video of how the race works and what you should do for training and I think you can get a lot of participants involved who otherwise might never try it. Give people some burgers, hotdogs and drinks afterwards to add a social element. I bet you could pull such a race off for a $50 entry fee. A group like USAT could try an experiment like this in a large market like LA or SF. Maybe it would be a good investments to 'tri' something new. It's in keeping with how a lot of marketing is done nowadays too. Things like computer apps are free to try or have limited features to give people a taste of the product. If we believe in the sport, maybe we need to find a way of giving more people a taste of it.
(Pink). Yeah, but who's going to pay for the drug testing? You can't have a triathlon without drug testing, can you?

I can see you have never owned or used a very cheap bike. Bikes that cheap don't work well at all, and fail or go out of adjustment shockingly quickly. Just not are the same rate for all components. At any given race a very large percentage would have or develop major issues, and the race would be in very much impacted by whose bike fell apart the most quickly.

Plus I think it would cost more than the entry fee just to hire mechanics to get them all to a minimal level of functionality.

Oh, and there is that whole "fit" issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon participation sliding again this year? [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, $100 (or even $200 or $300) bikes are going to be more trouble than they are worth, which ain't much.

The whole tri-noob IROC style standardized bike thing sounds cool, except for the actual costs and logistics, which would be a nightmare.

And where do you store 100 bikes in between races and the off-season?
Or do you have a dedicated trailer truck for that? And now that's another huge expenditure.

PS - I'm doing my part to boost participation - a buddy from work is doing his first tri in a few weeks.
Dunno if it's a bucket list thing, mid-life crisis, or all of the above, but he's all in now.

I gave him (long term loaner) my old Felt B2 bike to use, since he had been on a Walmart MTB prior.
Also loaned him my wetsuit, although he did buy one for himself online, so he may end up using his own one now instead.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Ontario, one of the larger, more mature and sophisticated triathlon markets in North America, if you take the Ironman branded events out of the equation, we have been seeing a slide in "local" numbers now for a few years.

Key retailers are reporting flat sales year-to-year.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next