Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
At IMNZ they didn't give backpacks but gave a 'dry bag' instead.

Same with IMWA.

However at 70.3 Phillippines they did give out backpacks. Not the same ones that are sold in the IM store but a smaller one that you may use if you were....a tourist going on a day trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
realAB wrote:
The freebee packs given at IM Whistler in 13 were absolute shit.

Mine's still in perfect condition...... primarily because it sits in my closet and I'm afraid if I actually put anything in it it'll rip right open...
You know what, I have used the 2013 version (which I got at IMWI) as my main pool swim bag and it has been great with no damage to it whatsoever. It's very light and looks or feels extremely fragile yet so far it has been great. But the one from 2012 was the best one I got (2014 bags were very small).
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
The backpacks given out at (North American) IMs change from year to year:

2011 were cheap sling bags (aka drawstring bags)
2012 Nice backpacks that are the style that the recent IM announcement is advertising for sale for $49.99
2013 the cheapest backpack I've ever seen in my life
2014 Don't know/didn't race
2015 Nice backpack (the version that is in the picture that Lisa posted)
2016 ???? (we'll find out next week!!!!)

IMFL 2014 gave out these:

My IMLT '14 Back pack looks the same - I use it all the time to go to the pool. Typically I'll ride my motorcycle to the pool. It fits all the stuff and has held up well.

I've got 2 of the 2015 Backpacks (CDA and LT). I've never used them, but they look plenty durable - though a few zipped inside compartments would make it them more functional.

What do you expect for bargain basement race entry fees? -_-

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
The backpacks given out at (North American) IMs change from year to year:

2011 were cheap sling bags (aka drawstring bags)
2012 Nice backpacks that are the style that the recent IM announcement is advertising for sale for $49.99
2013 the cheapest backpack I've ever seen in my life
2014 Don't know/didn't race
2015 Nice backpack (the version that is in the picture that Lisa posted)
2016 ???? (we'll find out next week!!!!)

IMFL 2014 gave out these:

My IMLT '14 Back pack looks the same - I use it all the time to go to the pool. Typically I'll ride my motorcycle to the pool. It fits all the stuff and has held up well.

I've got 2 of the 2015 Backpacks (CDA and LT). I've never used them, but they look plenty durable - though a few zipped inside compartments would make it them more functional.

What do you expect for bargain basement race entry fees? -_-

You know that mechanical doping in bold you are using to get to the pool will get you in trouble with WTC although there are just checking for electric motors, not for combustion engines!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience they haven't always been there anyway. Have only done 3 WTC events (HIM in 2004, first IM in 2005, second IM in 2008). Didn't get a backpack at either of the first 2 events. Did for the third one but it was extremely low quality with holes opening up in the stitching within a few weeks of the race.

No big loss if they're stopping them.
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:The freebee packs given at IM Whistler in 13 were absolute shit.
--------------
ChrisM wrote:
Mine's still in perfect condition...... primarily because it sits in my closet and I'm afraid if I actually put anything in it it'll rip right open...
--------------
Chris
Funny I was reading this thread thinking the same thing.
The one I got in IMMT 2012 I like and use for the pool. IMLT13/IMC14 too small to be functional and not the highest quality, never used them.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 6, 16 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can not imagine anything worse than continuing to receive back packs at every goddam event I go to.......actually, scratch that I can, a real Down gilet at HIM Dubai - a down jacket plus a bag is the freebee at Dubai - Down in the Middle East, I've lived here for 5 years and needed a sweatshirt maybe a dozen days in 5 years and they give me a down jacket.......

and to make matters worse it has FINISHER in 3 inch high letters across the back - where the F**k could I wear that with any dignity.....

anyway - does anyone really use these bags? I mean, if you do 2-3 events, half and full's a year, what do you do with them? I wouldn't be seen dead with their logo's all over those bags in public

If I want a good back pack I'll buy one - if I want a cheap tacky logo laden s**t quality bag I'll enter a Wanda event
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

and to make matters worse it has FINISHER in 3 inch high letters across the back - where the F**k could I wear that with any dignity.....

DNF'd, huh?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [FlorianNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 70.3 bags from Oceanside for this year were large duffle like bags - similar to last years IM bags in size, but with a fair amount of open mesh panels. Think more pool/swim gear bag with drainage.
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I can not imagine anything worse than continuing to receive back packs at every goddam event I go to.......actually, scratch that I can, a real Down gilet at HIM Dubai - a down jacket plus a bag is the freebee at Dubai - Down in the Middle East, I've lived here for 5 years and needed a sweatshirt maybe a dozen days in 5 years and they give me a down jacket.......

anyway - does anyone really use these bags? I mean, if you do 2-3 events, half and full's a year, what do you do with them? I wouldn't be seen dead with their logo's all over those bags in public

If I want a good back pack I'll buy one - if I want a cheap tacky logo laden s**t quality bag I'll enter a Wanda event

Damn straight I use them. I've done multiple events for years and picked up far more than I need. I've given backpacks to family members and for my wife to give out to school kids - hint - they love 'em!! Likewise, whenever my drawer is spilling over from extra race shirts, I just grab a half-dozen for the wife to give out to special needs kids at school. Guess what...they love 'em!!

I use some packs for local races and some to travel. Quality is all over the place but generally the ones I get in Europe are much better than the ones I get in the U.S. And the one given out for Zell Am See 70.3 WC last August is simply superb, better than any IM backpack I've received...a definite keeper.

As to not wanting their logo on your pack...that doesn't bother me at all. Go buy your pack and advertise for NorthFace, Jack Wolfskin or the like if you want. I'm happy to sport Ironman rather than buy something I already have just for a different logo.
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [tskough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 70.3 bags from Oceanside for this year were large duffle like bags - similar to last years IM bags in size, but with a fair amount of open mesh panels. Think more pool/swim gear bag with drainage.
-----------------
I agree these are the best 70.3 bag I've got since my first 70.3 in 2008. I used for it St George this weekend.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 6, 16 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Absolutely. Since I run or bike at lunch, I use my 2012 St George backpack as my Run bag, and I use my 2012 Louisville backpack as my Biking bag. They're actually perfect.

I have little care for the fact that it says "ironman" on it. It is a backpack, it is used to carry things. That is its purpose.

As far as something worse: yeah, another t-shirt.
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
At IM Western Australia we have never got back packs. Up until last year we got drawstring bags for T1 and T2. Last year we got a cheap plastic bag that ripped when I put my helmet in it.

No "freebies" for your $900.

Plastic bags for most of my races until they stepped it up around 2011ish.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General response to anyone listening:

My IMAZ 2015 pack was stolen the week after the event. If anyone has one they want to sell, PM me.
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was given out at Texas last week? Pics anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not compete in that event.
Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
What was given out at Texas last week? Pics anyone?

The IMTX bag is a pretty decent one. I think it could best be described as a "dry bag". It won't really work well as a "gym bag" as it doesn't really have multiple compartments for anything "locker room accessories" like combs, soap, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: Are they not giving backpacks at IM check-in anymore? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
Those appear to be higher quality bags that you can get for any race, including 70.3s. We will find out on Wednesday at IMTX whether they are still giving bags this year. They most likely are.

Did you race at IMTX? What did they give out?

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. They gave backpacks. I don't like them as much as the set given out last year. They are workable though. I don't have a picture for you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next