Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Accomodation
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I would appreciate any help or feedback regarding 'Self contained' accommodation on Alii Drive for race week.
I was fortunate enough to qualify on the weekend at Ironman Australia.
I will be travelling with my wife and two daughters, so a condo with two bedrooms and a proper kitchen would suit us.
There is plenty of hotel rooms, but we like the privacy and to be able to do our own cooking!
Thanks in advance. Wes. Lennoxlocal.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accomodation [LennoxLocal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vrbo.com is your friend.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LennoxLocal wrote:
Hi all, I would appreciate any help or feedback regarding 'Self contained' accommodation on Alii Drive for race week.
I will be travelling with my wife and two daughters, so a condo with two bedrooms and a proper kitchen would suit us.
There is plenty of hotel rooms, but we like the privacy and to be able to do our own cooking!

I could be off...but you do know Kona isn't in Australia right?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accomodation [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
LennoxLocal wrote:

Seems pretty clear to me that he qualified AT IM Australia
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accomodation [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
LennoxLocal wrote:

Seems pretty clear to me that he qualified AT IM Australia

Like I said: "I could be off". Hahahaha
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accomodation [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VRBO. Some great deals out there. Being right on the ocean was really nice, but if on a budget, not necessary, you'll be in town most days and get plenty of great views regardless. Even 2-3 miles away, you won't need a car, but you family will to keep themselves occupied while you do the IM pre-pace "thing". We were about 3 miles south of town and at least twice I just ran to the pier, swam, ran back. Cap & goggles one hand, water bottle in the other. Kona Reef has some reasonable properties. You might check that out.

Keep in mind, most have a 7-10 day minimum. Which I thought was great, as you get time to relax and do the tourist thing the weekend before or after the race.

FYI - Make sure it has AC. Its' been really hot the last couple years.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accomodation [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Vrbo.com is your friend.

I was really frustrated with VRBO about this time last year. I would send out inquires and kept getting the same responses:

"Sorry, it's not available"
"We are holding it for someone, we'll let you know if it becomes available"
"Oh, that's IM week, despite what our listing says for IM week, the rate/minimum is actually xxx"

After a dozen of so inquiries, I gave up and called a local broker, konacoastvacations.com. They gave me some options in line with what I was seeing on vrbo and the units were actually available.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accomodation [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. Kona Coast Vacations is great. They have a nice range of properties at competitive rates. Plus you can count on the unit being professionally cleaned and setup for you on arrival.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accomodation [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
owtbac86 wrote:
Vrbo.com is your friend.

I was really frustrated with VRBO about this time last year. I would send out inquires and kept getting the same responses:

"Sorry, it's not available"
"We are holding it for someone, we'll let you know if it becomes available"
"Oh, that's IM week, despite what our listing says for IM week, the rate/minimum is actually xxx"

After a dozen of so inquiries, I gave up and called a local broker, konacoastvacations.com. They gave me some options in line with what I was seeing on vrbo and the units were actually available.

Sorry to hear about your negative experience(s).

For my wife and myself, we've typically had good luck on both sides of the transaction over the years in Kona.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: May 5, 16 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent, thanks! I do know where 'Kona' is. I knew Scott and Allen weren't running down to Bondi.
I'll check out konacoastvacations.com . We have been before, but stayed out at Kona Coast Resort, needed to drive into town every trip. Great spot, but not ideal.
Thanks for the heads up and good luck to everyone trying to qualify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've stayed at Kona Makai twice with our kids. Two bedroom not required as some of the units are a 1 bedroom with a loft. Stick the monkies upstairs and forget about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my timeshare which is a massive 2 bedroom, at the Kona Coast Resort booked from Oct.2-9, 2016. Extra days can be added on either end to accomodate your stay. I have 3 kids, and they love it there. Two nice big pools, hot tubs, tennis courts, shuffle board, workout room. Really nice place, and you can check out the blowholes at sunset. It sits on a golf course, about 6 miles from the pier. I am just looking to recoup my maintenance fee of $1250 US for the week. Let me know if you are interested. In taking the upper road to the pier it is a very quick drive, yet the stay for your family is comfortable and peaceful. We prefer to be away from all the commotion in town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Airbnb has quite a few options as well
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accomodation [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Irondave, we stayed there 2 years ago. It was a great spot, but required the car to get to the 'epicenter'. Ideally, we'd want to be bike/walk/scooter distance from the Dig Me. We would consider staying at Kona Coast Resort again if all else failed.
Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've stayed here a few times - it's a little less than 2k from the pier:

http://www.konatikihotel.com/#!life-at-the-kona-tiki/c1l1j

You'll need to email/call them to check for availability, but it's a good but spartan place to stay.
Quote Reply