Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman: Why are people so caught up with the number? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Urm. Well if you had trained your butt off to do a Marathon, wouldn't you be pretty hacked-off if they said "oh it's actually only 25 miles"... so basically you haven't done a marathon. Why is this even a discussion?

No, it wouldn't bother me one bit.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman: Why are people so caught up with the number? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman: Why are people so caught up with the number? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  If they tell you before hand it's 25 miles I'd be less pissed than if they used a 25 mile course that they claimed to be 26.2.

Atleast in this race everyone knows the deal well ahead of race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just don't get it do you?

(me neither)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just think how much effort the Iron Cowboy wasted. He could have swam 3000 meters every day instead of 3862 (per IM Maryland 2015), biked 94 instead of 112 (per IM Texas 2016) and run 25.5 (per the Kona course from ~2005 through 2011). He probably would have saved enough energy to run instead of using the elliptical on that fateful day.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman: Why are people so caught up with the number? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
I`m not sure if this has been posted in this thread yet, but IM Muskoka had a shortened bike leg for a little while when they were planning the race (it ended up being the full distance). Someone posted this pretty quickly, and I laughed way too hard at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYsc41ALy4E

(Downfall parody)

This is absolutely brilliant. I was crying laughing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman: Why are people so caught up with the number? [JulianM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, it's about the distance, not the brand. I have been doing triathlons since 2001. I have done one MDot race, and that was back in 2002 (it was a half Ironman, pre-70.3 days, lol). I have never felt particularly obliged to do MDot races. The experience is great, to be sure, but the prices are -- to me -- outrageous. I have done one 140.6. It was an independent race that I did for a fraction of the cost of an MDot branded race.

For some people, it's about the brand. And that's fine. But I'm more concerned with the distance than the brand. I wouldn't like it if the course was shortened by 18 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman: Why are people so caught up with the number? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
noofus wrote:
It's the completitor mindset. People forget (or don't care that) that this is an athletic COMPETITION. A race. They just want to "do the thing" and call themselves an Ironman. They aren't racing anybody.

That is pretty much it. I don't begrudge anyone for being upset about it because I do not assume that everyone is approaching this event the same way I am.

Now on to the important question: what is your age-group? We are thinking similarly though you said competition has 50 less minutes to gap and my thoughts are 50 less minutes to CLOSE the gap. I figure I will swim around 52... actually I'll start a thread on this...

M35-39

I am going to swim right around the 1hr mark. Figure 1:00-1:02. You are on the fast side of swimmers whereas I am still towards the front but not THE front. I figure I am getting out of the water right in the middle of the pack of my KQ competition.
Then lets say I ride at 21-21.5mph, and everyone else is closer to 22-22.5 (and perhaps EVERYONE is a bit slower than that considering the number of turns) That puts them into T2 about 12 minutes ahead of me instead of about 20 if the course was a full 112. My gap to close is about 8 minutes less than if the course were the full distance, or a bit over a mile. Then it is a matter of relying on my ability to run long and fast off the bike which I know I can do. My only wildcard here is the heat. I have done as much as I can given the fact that I live in PA and have trained all winter indoors.

Not sure how you did your math but you are quite a bit off, since if you go 21.5 and "they" go 22.5, then:

Your Time for 112 mi = 112/21.5 = 312.6 min Your time for 94 mi = 262.3 min
"Their" time for 112 = 112/22.5 = 298.7 min "Their" time for 94 mi = 250.7 min

Thus they gap you by 13.9 min on the 112 but only 11.6 min on the 94; therefore, you gain about 2.3 min not 8 min. Sorry to disappoint you:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman: Why are people so caught up with the number? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
noofus wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
noofus wrote:
It's the completitor mindset. People forget (or don't care that) that this is an athletic COMPETITION. A race. They just want to "do the thing" and call themselves an Ironman. They aren't racing anybody.

That is pretty much it. I don't begrudge anyone for being upset about it because I do not assume that everyone is approaching this event the same way I am.

Now on to the important question: what is your age-group? We are thinking similarly though you said competition has 50 less minutes to gap and my thoughts are 50 less minutes to CLOSE the gap. I figure I will swim around 52... actually I'll start a thread on this...

M35-39

I am going to swim right around the 1hr mark. Figure 1:00-1:02. You are on the fast side of swimmers whereas I am still towards the front but not THE front. I figure I am getting out of the water right in the middle of the pack of my KQ competition.
Then lets say I ride at 21-21.5mph, and everyone else is closer to 22-22.5 (and perhaps EVERYONE is a bit slower than that considering the number of turns) That puts them into T2 about 12 minutes ahead of me instead of about 20 if the course was a full 112. My gap to close is about 8 minutes less than if the course were the full distance, or a bit over a mile. Then it is a matter of relying on my ability to run long and fast off the bike which I know I can do. My only wildcard here is the heat. I have done as much as I can given the fact that I live in PA and have trained all winter indoors.

Not sure how you did your math but you are quite a bit off, since if you go 21.5 and "they" go 22.5, then:

Your Time for 112 mi = 112/21.5 = 312.6 min Your time for 94 mi = 262.3 min
"Their" time for 112 = 112/22.5 = 298.7 min "Their" time for 94 mi = 250.7 min

Thus they gap you by 13.9 min on the 112 but only 11.6 min on the 94; therefore, you gain about 2.3 min not 8 min. Sorry to disappoint you:)

Oh well my math was off. Still gives me a smaller gap to close :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next