Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Critique my TT and Road fit [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your 40mm drop looks close for the torso. Level the camera by lining up the photo frame with the bottom of your wheels. Is your top tube level? Do you have a block under the front wheel to make the bike level?

Glad you put the helmet on! Head down doesn't look good with that tail sticking up. If you can slide the helmet back, give that a try. Look at the position where you can see up the road and also where you are relaxing your neck a bit. I alternate between looking up the road and looking down about 20ft in front of the bike. Mostly the later. I never tilt my head down and stick the tail up, unless I'm glancing at the computer which is rare.

I'd still recommend more saddle drop. Do you do road races or only TTs? Is your saddle height on the road bike the same?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my TT and Road fit [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just tested the position elbows in and tilted up is a no go for me it strains my traps/shoulders and neck it also put my wrists at painful angle they are dropping down I put the pads wider and flatter pads and instant relief.. I'm also wanting to move way back on the saddle for saddle comfort... My torso was actually more flatter on the track, seemed like I was drooping downwards at the front too much. I was hurting alot by 5miles I think my body wants to be more of a cancellera setup

My cadence seemed to be quite slow too, probably due to tight hip angle? Also slight lower back pain
Last edited by: SamYO: Mar 11, 16 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I initially went to narrow elbow spacing, I didn't like it either. I had to pay attention to where I was holding unnecessary tension and relax. After a few minutes it was fine and has been ever since. This is the same for every change you make. When you alter your position a lot of things change, including your pedal stroke. Pain or discomfort (assuming that your position is within reason) is usually a sign that you are holding unnecessary tension.

Of course if you can get in the same position as Cancellara and that feels good to you, then you could certainly do worse.

Your hip angle isn't tight at all relative many people who TT. My knees come several inches above my elbows, and I'm an old man with a bad back.

If you are wanting to slide back on the saddle (or move the saddle back), that isn't a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://puu.sh/nCTp3.jpg

That seem to be my most comfortable position also when I set a PB for a 10..

3cm setback and 5mm lower saddle height from where im at now and + 30mm higher stack

8cm setback i think on the adamo
Last edited by: SamYO: Mar 11, 16 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
When I initially went to narrow elbow spacing, I didn't like it either. I had to pay attention to where I was holding unnecessary tension and relax. After a few minutes it was fine and has been ever since. This is the same for every change you make. When you alter your position a lot of things change, including your pedal stroke. Pain or discomfort (assuming that your position is within reason) is usually a sign that you are holding unnecessary tension.

Of course if you can get in the same position as Cancellara and that feels good to you, then you could certainly do worse.

Your hip angle isn't tight at all relative many people who TT. My knees come several inches above my elbows, and I'm an old man with a bad back.

If you are wanting to slide back on the saddle (or move the saddle back), that isn't a bad thing.

In the very first video with 83cm saddle height the hip angle is around 57 from the retul fit the one I just tested my upper thighs slightly touch my belly. Elbows in and angled up and 2cm lower has closed it alot I feel
Last edited by: SamYO: Mar 11, 16 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But you want to go faster, yes? Then you will probably need to change a lot. I think if we picked the position that felt the most comfortable and stuck with it, we'd all be in a "sit up and beg" posture.

Since you don't have a power meter it's pretty much shooting in the dark. If you had a PM you could do field testing and get a good handle on what's aero and what isn't, and then worry about power production. All I can give is my n=1 experience, and what I've learned from others who been through the process. Plus look at fast riders who I know have worked on optimizing.

Some have done well with a higher torso position, but they have also gotten very narrow. Elbows together, shoulders in their ears. Either stretched out, or tight mantis.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is whatever you are feeling as "interference" between your thighs and torso isn't a problem. This picture is from awhile ago, the thigh-torso angle should be more acute now that I went back to longer cranks.

Lot's of women have acute angles. This is the 2014 world champion:

Last edited by: rruff: Mar 11, 16 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems your quite far back in the saddle your center of gravity looks more centered then me when your on the wings, how much weight do you have on them? I am holding myself up with my arms if I take them off ill fall straight down and very quickly.

How relax are your arms?

That top picture the adamo is 3cm back and at 81cm (I was moving back and forward a little bit I remember) But its the position I did a PB... in that picture above I posted

bottom picture is 83 in height and 3cm forward (5.9cm setback)
Last edited by: SamYO: Mar 12, 16 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My arms are relaxed but the shoulders are scrunched on purpose.

You look to be forward and wide and open, with a tall saddle height. It seems very common for Tri, but I don't know any fast TTers who are set up like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
My arms are relaxed but the shoulders are scrunched on purpose.

You look to be forward and wide and open, with a tall saddle height. It seems very common for Tri, but I don't know any fast TTers who are set up like that.

The pads change my contact points on the saddle too much I may raise saddle back up 5-10mm. Then try narrow the pads. It's the pads that need to come closer more than the extensions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
Does anyone happen to have a program that can measure my leg angle, foot angle and torso and arm angle?

Here you go, been a bit busy but have fun:

And for the other images posted in this thread:

I've just noticed that my calculation for the back angle for riders facing right has an error. Do ignore that field (Should be 90-x). Sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my TT and Road fit [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
olmec wrote:
SamYO wrote:
Does anyone happen to have a program that can measure my leg angle, foot angle and torso and arm angle?

Here you go, been a bit busy but have fun:

And for the other images posted in this thread:

I've just noticed that my calculation for the back angle for riders facing right has an error. Do ignore that field (Should be 90-x). Sorry.

Interesting and in my retul fit they highered the saddle 2cm higher and 3cm forward then I had to have the Adamo tilted down 5drgrees with loads of weight on my shoulders.

Retul angle says 38 and 40 knee extension and 59 closed hip 96 and 98 open. And 28-23 degree planter flexion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
Interesting and in my retul fit they highered the saddle 2cm higher and 3cm forward then I had to have the Adamo tilted down 5drgrees with loads of weight on my shoulders.

Retul angle says 38 and 40 knee extension and 59 closed hip 96 and 98 open. And 28-23 degree planter flexion

I'd put my money in the Retul fit.

Seriously, those screen shots are from a little app I made myself. I am not a professional fitter, in fact you're probably likely to lose a leg if you follow my fit advice. All the app is good for is the measurement of angles.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my TT and Road fit [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from the retul I put the adamo back to 3degrees down and thats where Im at. Saddle just looks mighty high?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ry7pc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
from the retul I put the adamo back to 3degrees down and thats where Im at. Saddle just looks mighty high?

Ok, I've seen your video. The first comment is to shoot the video in a "slow-mo" setting/mode on your camera. The frame rate is very low and your foot is very blurry at the key pedal angles.

I've grabbed two frames out of your stroke: foot at furthest forward extent — 3 o'clock; and foot at lowest extent — 6 o'clock.

Have a look:

The only comment I feel confident in making is that it does not look like your leg is too extended at the bottom of the stroke. It's probably very close to the limit, and I wouldn't push the seat up any more.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my TT and Road fit [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
olmec wrote:
SamYO wrote:

Ok, I've seen your video. The first comment is to shoot the video in a "slow-mo" setting/mode on your camera. The frame rate is very low and your foot is very blurry at the key pedal angles.

I've grabbed two frames out of your stroke: foot at furthest forward extent — 3 o'clock; and foot at lowest extent — 6 o'clock.

Have a look:

The only comment I feel confident in making is that it does not look like your leg is too extended at the bottom of the stroke. It's probably very close to the limit, and I wouldn't push the seat up any more.

Thanks I just found the exact position of the retul fit on video

http://www.dailymotion.com/...0150113-111206_sport The only difference is that saddle 2degrees down more then the one in the black kit and the leg bend looks much less
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An update on my TT Fit..

Saddle lowered 2cm
Saddle back 3cm 3.5cm
Shorter stem and flipped up
Pads more inwards
Made extensions slightly longer

Last edited by: SamYO: May 2, 16 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cadence seems to have dropped a bit in this position, I feel like I need to move on the nose of the saddle more. And when I do in that position my frontal area opens up, should I put that stem the other way round?
Quote Reply

Prev Next